Options

£30,000.

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited July 3, 2014 in Landscapes
This statue, by Derbyshire artist Denis O’Connor, is dedicated to the people who built the canals, is situated at the Ribble Link where the new canal leading to the River Ribble joins the old Lancaster Canal at Cottam, near Preston. It's a newly designed statue to replace the Gauging the Ripple statue, and believe it or not, this cost £30,000.

1080statue5.jpg

1080statue1.jpg

1080statue4.jpg

1080statue3.jpg

1080statue2.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2014
    You guys must be shrewd negotiators. A number of years ago the city of San Jose, CA bought a statue of Quetzalcoatl.

It looks like a large pile of "poop". The "poop" designation was used by news papers and critics and is accurate.

The cost $500,000.00!!!!!!!!!!

Not to worry though, everyone involved got to keep their jobs, pensions, and any loose change that found it's way into their pockets. :D

Sam
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2014
    My sentiments exactly, Sam. I was thinking, "30k? That's it??? Around this nation, that thing would be at least 100...
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2014
    Thanks folks.

I think one thing that is dividing opinion in my city is that in age of cutbacks by our council, they splash out this money on a piece of art that is simply that to most. Just art. It depicts the workers' tools in the days ahead of modern industry and that is what the artist is trying to impress upon the viewing public. But should Preston have spent the money in a better way?

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2014
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

I think one thing that is dividing opinion in my city is that in age of cutbacks by our council, they splash out this money on a piece of art that is simply that to most. Just art. It depicts the workers' tools in the days ahead of modern industry and that is what the artist is trying to impress upon the viewing public. But should Preston have spent the money in a better way?

Paul.

Here in America and even in the Peoples Republic of California there a few wacky folks who would like to see those who are funding (paying taxes) government have some say in how those funds are spent.

Enough dreaming, back to the real world. :D

Sam