Options

Tetons, Sept. 2014

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited September 30, 2014 in Landscapes
OK, stepping out of lurk mode once again :D

I was able to spend a few hours (Friday afternoon and Saturday morning) a week or so ago up at the Tetons in Wyoming. At that time the leaves were just turning but it should be prime time right now. I had very clear skies which made Milky Way shots good, but not so good for daytime shots (I don't really like clear blue skies for photography - too boring).

Thanks,

Mike

Here are the shots:

iMG_5007b%2B1920x1200.jpg

iMG_4842a%2B1920x1200.jpg

iMG_4692a%2B1920x1200.jpg

iMG_4819a%2B1920x1200.jpg

iMG_4834a%2Bx1600.jpg
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2014
    Nice set Mike! The milky way is rocking along with the reflections!thumb.gifthumb
    Really like all! Luke warm on #2. Cheers!
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    Beautiful series of the Tetons Mike. thumb.gif
    Steve
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Very nice stuff. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2014
    Thanks stumblebum, Steve, Sam, and Boco for commenting.

Stumblebum, I too am less thrilled about the second but I probably have more sympathy because of the cost of taking it. I took it very early in the morning while it was still quite dark and 23 degrees (-5 Celsius). It was a pain focusing and I didn't notice the ugly tree on the left. Plus I was hearing animals rutting around me (probably elk) which was a little distracting. Regardless, it was still nice being outside and taking pictures. I'm hoping to get back here in December when I can spend more time.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Beautiful work, Steve. Very inspiring. I'll be out that way myself over Christmas and you've certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities.
  • Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    Superb timing in all of them! Yeah, the day sky would make it half-boring.

How long was the exposure in #2 to punch up the stars this way? I can see some streaks at the bottom of #5, so I assume it was minutes, rather than seconds.

My real question here is: were you going for wilderness or tranquility? I guess, tranquility, thus the longer exposure and smoothed out water. #4 is a great shot, but the intent and the subsequent technique make it a little sterile.
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
  • Options
    kdog wrote: »
    Beautiful work, Steve. Very inspiring. I'll be out that way myself over Christmas and you've certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities.
    I'll pass your comments along to Steve :D I'm sure he'll be happy to hear them. I'm hoping to be out there just before Christmas. My biggest concern is access and I may have to get out the snowshoes.
    AlexShark wrote: »
    Superb timing in all of them! Yeah, the day sky would make it half-boring.

How long was the exposure in #2 to punch up the stars this way? I can see some streaks at the bottom of #5, so I assume it was minutes, rather than seconds.

My real question here is: were you going for wilderness or tranquility? I guess, tranquility, thus the longer exposure and smoothed out water. #4 is a great shot, but the intent and the subsequent technique make it a little sterile.

The exposure in #2 was 15 seconds at f/2.8 and ISO 3200. #5 was 30s, f/2.8 and ISO 6400.

What would you suggest to make #4 less sterile?

Thanks,

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    I'll pass your comments along to Steve :D
    Doh! Sorry about that, Mike! Not sure where I got that. Hey, it was early, before my coffee. Thanks for having a sense of humor about it. :D
  • Options
    What would you suggest to make #4 less sterile?

Thanks,

Mike

The photo is even and perfectly balanced, with the prevailing satin-feel throughout. The more I look at it -- the more I think there really are two pictures in it: the boats on the right, four of them, if cropped into a square, or an 8 x 10 landscape stand on their own (with some cloning out pieces of the jetty); and I'd also shift the horizon to the very top, like crop it from top at the first sign of blue. this would give the sense of depth and distance, and I wouldn't want to ruin that. 4 times more water than sky, something like that.

The left side is already unbalanced by the mountains, the reflection and that brown looking thing at the left margin (that I don't particularly care for). If you want to keep this composition whole, but simply less sterile, I'd throw a pebble into the water before I shoot, and then shoot rather fast, 1/500 or so. But any prop would do, really, anything that keeps it slightly off kilt.

All these are technicalities to taste, quite a personal thing. The decision of what it is you want to tell me by this image is yours. Assuming you wanted to relate your experience of being there -- what was that experience? Wonder? Calm? Desolation? Only you can answer that, and I suspect the answer will guide your hand just right, even after the fact. What do you think?

Cheers,
    Alex
  • Options
    Jeez, Mike, your Dome of the Rock (#2) is magnificent. I lived in the place for 5 years -- never seen it like that. I'm taking down my Jerusalem shots from my site and will hold your camera bag next time you're there!
  • Options
    kdog wrote: »
    Doh! Sorry about that, Mike! Not sure where I got that. Hey, it was early, before my coffee. Thanks for having a sense of humor about it. :D

No problem - this is all for fun anyway and I'm sure we've all fallen into similar situations.

Thanks for commenting.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    Jeez, Mike, your Dome of the Rock (#2) is magnificent. I lived in the place for 5 years -- never seen it like that. I'm taking down my Jerusalem shots from my site and will hold your camera bag next time you're there!

A happy coincidence of conditions. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to return in the last few years. I'd love to get back there. It's an amazing place.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    The photo is even and perfectly balanced, with the prevailing satin-feel throughout. The more I look at it -- the more I think there really are two pictures in it: the boats on the right, four of them, if cropped into a square, or an 8 x 10 landscape stand on their own (with some cloning out pieces of the jetty); and I'd also shift the horizon to the very top, like crop it from top at the first sign of blue. this would give the sense of depth and distance, and I wouldn't want to ruin that. 4 times more water than sky, something like that.

The left side is already unbalanced by the mountains, the reflection and that brown looking thing at the left margin (that I don't particularly care for). If you want to keep this composition whole, but simply less sterile, I'd throw a pebble into the water before I shoot, and then shoot rather fast, 1/500 or so. But any prop would do, really, anything that keeps it slightly off kilt.

All these are technicalities to taste, quite a personal thing. The decision of what it is you want to tell me by this image is yours. Assuming you wanted to relate your experience of being there -- what was that experience? Wonder? Calm? Desolation? Only you can answer that, and I suspect the answer will guide your hand just right, even after the fact. What do you think?

Cheers,
    Alex

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I have a few other compositions from this area and I'll have to see what I come up with. A pebble would not have worked too well, this was a 6s exposure and it would have just contributed blur.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2014
    I love #2. They all are good, but #2 gets me.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2014
    I love #2. They all are good, but #2 gets me.
    -Len

Thanks Len. I'm glad you like them.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2014
    So one more and I'm done...

Thanks,

Mike

15189183567_fd108b4549_b.jpg
    flickr
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Wow Mike! That last one is heart stopping beautiful! Could sell that one I think!clap.gifthumbbowdown.gif
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    Very nice stuff. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam

I agree, wonderful stuff.
  • Options
    karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    dare I say it the refection is too perfect ?
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    Great shots all.The last one with the dynamic light is fantastic. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!