Options

Along the Great Gorge of the Ruth Glacier

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited October 8, 2014 in Landscapes
This series were taken along the Ruth Glacier in Denali. Leaving Talkeetna, Alaska, we flew up the glacier with an eventual landing on the glacier at the Ruth Amphitheater. The images taken from the plane are through plexiglass, so sharpness is not exact, however I think the results are better than I expected. C&C always welcomed.

Lower region of Ruth Glacier with the Tokosha Mtns. in the background.
RuthGlacierMtns-X2.jpg

Ruth Glacier with the Great Gorge just beyond the upper turn to the left. Scale is confusing here. The glacier is about two miles across at this point.
LowerRuthGlacier-X2.jpg

Unnammed hanging glacier that doesn't quite connect to the Ruth any longer - About a few hundred feet above.
UnknownGlacier4-X2.jpg

Mt. Bradley at 9100 ft. above sea level. From the glacier to the top: 4600 ft. Glacier depth at this point is about 3800'.
MtBradley-X2.jpg

The southeast face of Mt. Dickey 9544' This is one of the tallest rock walls in the world. 5000 vertical feet of granite.
MtDickey-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Gorgeous and breath-taking shots!
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Last 3 are heavenly! Stunning and unbelievable!thumb.gif
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Killer shots Len! - #4, #5 WoW!
    I'm a little jealous now... all I got in Talkeetna was rain, and a decent meal in a restaurant.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Love the glacier shots---most educational--never seen a glacier. However... #4 and #5 are simply mind blowing gorgeous thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    WHOA!!!! That's some dynamite work, Len.clap.gifivar

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 8, 2014
    Breathtaking is definitely the word to describe these. Some incredible terrain here. You did an excellent job of framing considering you were shooting from an airplane. Did the pilot help you out on the angles or dipping the wing?

Congrats on these fine captures, Len. clap.gif
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Breathtaking is definitely the word to describe these. Some incredible terrain here. You did an excellent job of framing considering you were shooting from an airplane. Did the pilot help you out on the angles or dipping the wing?

Congrats on these fine captures, Len. clap.gif

Thanks Joel. No dipping of the wing, and to be honest, I was so enwrapped with what I was seeing, I wouldn't have noticed even if he did. However, I did ask him what seat would offer the best views, and so I sat in the back seat. The floor really, of the de Havilland DHC-2 (Beaver), a classic Alaskan bush plane. The other seat (next to me) was empty so I could slide back and forth to both sides. What a ride!
    -Len