Options

North by Northwest

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited December 7, 2014 in Landscapes
Spent time-off for Thanksgiving up north, Oregon and Washington, looking for gnarly weather elements! Found them, perhaps higher dose than I wanted as many of the access roads were closed due to weather, and driving thousands of miles through storms, fog, ice and sludge at times resulted in nothing, as light was not available.

Below is what I came up with. All criticism, helpful pointers and kind comments are heartily cherished!

1)
1W7A0618-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A0596-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A0598-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A0646-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A0689-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A0709-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A0717-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A0950-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A0756-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A0774-X3.jpg

11)
1W7A0789-X3.jpg

12)
1W7A0857-X3.jpg

13)
1W7A0854-X3.jpg

14)
1W7A0892-X3.jpg

15)
1W7A0901-X3.jpg

16)
1W7A0935-X3.jpg

17)
1W7A0917-X3.jpg

18)
1W7A0992-X3.jpg

19)
1W7A1015-X3.jpg

20)
1W7A1026-X3.jpg

21)
1W7A1047-X3.jpg

22)
1W7A1084-X3.jpg

23)
1W7A1120-X3.jpg

24)
1W7A1130-X3.jpg

25)
1W7A1140-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 1, 2014
    Awesome, man! clap.gif I've been wondering how your trip went. Looks like you came back with a motherload of great shots, despite the inclement weather. Terrific variety too. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Great Stuff !!! love the light in your shots.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome, man! clap.gif I've been wondering how your trip went. Looks like you came back with a motherload of great shots, despite the inclement weather. Terrific variety too. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Bro!wings.gif Last 3 days, pretty much just dark rain...like last few shots....I searched for Smith Rock on your tip....same weather....so perhaps next time!
    Gatto wrote: »
    Great Stuff !!! love the light in your shots.

Thanks Gatto! Much appreciate it!
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    I am equally impressed and jealous.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    It is hard to pick a fav.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    I'll just keep on looking.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 1, 2014
    Wonderful collection. clap.gif As Gary said, it's hard to pick a favorite, but I keep going back to #7, maybe because the reflections are so good. I might suggest playing around with a panoramic crop on #15, either from the top or bottom--both have potential thumb.gif.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    bowdown.gifclap.gif No critiques - just praise. Lighting is magnificent. #7 is my fav as well.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    #7 was my first fav, but then I saw many other excellent shots after that. Totally envious.

When I you are going to do your own show?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    I'll just keep on looking.

Thanks Gary!! Totally made my day!!
    Richard wrote: »
    Wonderful collection. clap.gif As Gary said, it's hard to pick a favorite, but I keep going back to #7, maybe because the reflections are so good. I might suggest playing around with a panoramic crop on #15, either from the top or bottom--both have potential thumb.gif.

Thanks Richard! I would try the crop on #15....home work for evening!
    Cavalier wrote: »
    bowdown.gifclap.gif No critiques - just praise. Lighting is magnificent. #7 is my fav as well.

Thanks Jo! Got lucky there because was hoping to find Bald Eagles at Klamath lake but their was blinding fog and roads got closed so got this consolation prize instead!!
    #7 was my first fav, but then I saw many other excellent shots after that. Totally envious.

When I you are going to do your own show?

Phil

Thanks Phil! Can't express enough gratitude for your kind support!

Thanks all!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Geeee-sh -- sensory overload! Took me forever trying to narrow a few favorites as there are so many...but I did! :D

#2 water movement is beautiful. I would wonder how a crop would be just of the water fall?

# 4 is a Christmas card!!!!

# 7 is just jaw dropping; fog/mist is always a fave of mine. I would so be tempted to clone out the telephone poll but it is an element in the over all scene so works either way for me!!!

# 11 just makes my mouth water! Has a 3-D look.

#12 ditto.

# 22 what a sight! you would think a huge mountain would dwarf such a man-made element but it shows how gargantuan the windmills really are...is the horizon a bit crooked?

Spectacular iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    I really enjoy your stuff. Thank you for sharing. 16, 17 and 21 (maybe a shot at B&W) are the image I most enjoy.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    Eia wrote: »
    Geeee-sh -- sensory overload! Took me forever trying to narrow a few favorites as there are so many...but I did! :D

#2 water movement is beautiful. I would wonder how a crop would be just of the water fall?

# 4 is a Christmas card!!!!

# 7 is just jaw dropping; fog/mist is always a fave of mine. I would so be tempted to clone out the telephone poll but it is an element in the over all scene so works either way for me!!!

# 11 just makes my mouth water! Has a 3-D look.

#12 ditto.

# 22 what a sight! you would think a huge mountain would dwarf such a man-made element but it shows how gargantuan the windmills really are...is the horizon a bit crooked?

Spectacular iloveyou.gif

Thanks Anna!!:ivarbowdown.gif
    Appreciate your kind comments truly!

I will look for crop. What I realized when I was there, as pretty as this waterfall is, to get some nice comp was not easy, at least for me, and felt that if there was more context to the waterfall, like some surrounding area, then it felt tad better. Funny thing is that I had gone there with intention of creating waterfall abstracts and tight zoom on it. Another challenge was that drift from the water crashing was so strong that keeping the filter dry was impossible and shooting at its base was surely useless. Took bunch of shots with zoom and this is the one I thought was better of the bunch:

1W7A0578-X2.jpg
    I really enjoy your stuff. Thank you for sharing. 16, 17 and 21 (maybe a shot at B&W) are the image I most enjoy.

Thanks Gary! I was so enamored with the blue in #21 that didn't think of b&w opportunity. I will give it a shot today! Cheers m8!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    I'm damn near speechless, Taz. There's so many great shots in this compilation....a goodly number of which will stand up to the scrutiny of the best in the business.

I applaud you, my friend.clap.gifclap You take your work seriously and that ranks real high with me.

Kudos,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Looks like a great trip, and you brought home many fine treasures.

#7 is the one for me!!

Sam
  • Options
    amitgamitg Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Just amazing man !!!!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    THANKS guys for the suggestions!bowdown.gifbarb
    I like the idea and result! Hope this is what you had in mind! Cheers!
    Richard wrote: »
    1W7A0901_reworked-X3.jpg

Spectacular iloveyou.gif
    1W7A0596_reworked-X3.jpg
    1W7A1047_reworked-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    I'm damn near speechless, Taz. There's so many great shots in this compilation....a goodly number of which will stand up to the scrutiny of the best in the business.

I applaud you, my friend.clap.gifclap You take your work seriously and that ranks real high with me.

Kudos,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Appreciate your support more than I can say in words!!deal.gif
    Sam wrote: »
    Looks like a great trip, and you brought home many fine treasures.

#7 is the one for me!!

Sam

Thanks Wizard!! Glad I stumbled upon 7, mainly because every access road I tried to Upper Klamath National Wildlife Refuge was closed.wings.gif
    amitg wrote: »
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Just amazing man !!!!

Thanks Amit! Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    I dunno ... maybe a bit more contrast in the B&W. You're right that blue is very nice. Thanks for the conversion ... what do you think?

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2014
    Great set of images. Storm light in the painted hills makes for some spectacular images,some of the best I have seen. Cloudy skies help showcase the greens and blues of the PNW. Outstanding images all. thumb.gifthumb

Next time you're headed my way let me know.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2014
    Way too many photos to seriously CC. One thing I noticed is a lot of the waterfall shots are a bit to "milky" for my tastes and some of them are too blue. Other than that, nice job. I do like your BW conversion!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    I dunno ... maybe a bit more contrast in the B&W. You're right that blue is very nice. Thanks for the conversion ... what do you think?

Gary

On my monitor the contrast seems okay...it could be darker or contrasty....I worked hard to preserve the pop of light behind the ridge........I like the b&w on its own....even though the blue is what prompted me to take the shot....but as of now...I consider the b&w keeper....appreciate the idea!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great set of images. Storm light in the painted hills makes for some spectacular images,some of the best I have seen. Cloudy skies help showcase the greens and blues of the PNW. Outstanding images all. thumb.gifthumb

Next time you're headed my way let me know.

Phil

Thanks Phil!! Much appreciate that offer! I couldn't impose without talking to you first. Spent most of the time searching and learning the spots and having someone who knows the area would have been a game changer. Always appreciate your kind words! Also, if you ever head down south, I would love to go shooting with you wherever you please! Do give me a heads up! Cheers!
    Way too many photos to seriously CC. One thing I noticed is a lot of the waterfall shots are a bit to "milky" for my tastes and some of them are too blue. Other than that, nice job. I do like your BW conversion!

Thanks Mike for feedback! I think you are likely right on both accounts. I tried to keep milkiness to right level but perhaps tad higher shutter would have helped.....the stormy skies brought out the blue....I could have toned it down a tad and would be mindful of both suggestions in future! Cheers!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2014
    I like that second set!!! I agree...b/w needs a wee bit more umph...(contrast)
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    Thanks Anna and Gary! Wee bit more contrast...hope this works better! Cheers!
    I like that second set!!! I agree...b/w needs a wee bit more umph...(contrast)
    1W7A1047_reworked_2-X3.jpg
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2014
    Superb set of shots. A very successful trip by the looks of things. Must have been hugely gratifying.

Regards,
    Carl.
    www.celticcompositions@outlook.com