Options

Anna Maria City Pier Florida

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited February 7, 2015 in Landscapes
I wanted to capture the fact that the pier has been repaired several times with money contributed by individuals. The planks bear out their many separate names. A true community effort.

DSC_0005%20%282%29-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Interesting subject and well captured. Although while centering the subject is often to be avoided, in some cases like piers, it works. By centering the pier, you would have preserved more names, and lost that bright light on the foreground left that isn't adding anything. Just a thought.
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    The shed at the end of the pier is kind of centered but POV is not. Triangles of ocean created by pier and horizon are not equal, maybe because it was taken from the left side of the pier. The light that is partially decapitated and close on the left hand side maybe intentional but for me its ruining symmetry and and is a major distraction.

Lower POV, truly centered, and perhaps with aperture opened up to put farther elements in bokeh would be another way to go. With aperture stopped down, long exposures would be another idea. Goodluck!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Interesting subject and well captured. Although while centering the subject is often to be avoided, in some cases like piers, it works. By centering the pier, you would have preserved more names, and lost that bright light on the foreground left that isn't adding anything. Just a thought.

Very helpful. I think that would have helped. I believe I shot this on a turn glance as I was leaving the pier. The bright sky in the background also was hard to fix.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited February 7, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    The shed at the end of the pier is kind of centered but POV is not. Triangles of ocean created by pier and horizon are not equal, maybe because it was taken from the left side of the pier. The light that is partially decapitated and close on the left hand side maybe intentional but for me its ruining symmetry and and is a major distraction.

Lower POV, truly centered, and perhaps with aperture opened up to put farther elements in bokeh would be another way to go. With aperture stopped down, long exposures would be another idea. Goodluck!

Stumblebum, you have a good eye. Never noticed the "triangles" on either side being unequal. ne_nau.gif
    It would have been much better composed in the manner you suggest.

Also, the partially decapitated light is accidental and does distract on looking at it again.

Thanks for taking the time to analyze.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2015
    boco wrote: »
    mooie compo en omzetting.
    grt,boco.

Boco, thanks for the kind comments. Heel erg bedanks.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2015
    This was another shot taken at the same time from a slightly different angle. I recall now that as I tried to place the pier house and the planking of the pier in the centered POV with the planking leading to the vanishing point there was a distracting trash can and sign taking up a good deal of the picture on the left of the pier. I took the off shot angle and in this picture used the adjustment brush to tone down the white sign which I found distracting.
    In this shot the pier house is offset as is the angle of the shot from the pier. Maybe this is a better composition attempt vs the initial posted pic. Thoughts?

DSC_0013%20%282%29-4-XL.jpg