Options

Searching light on coast

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited March 12, 2015 in Landscapes
Was hoping to get more epic light on coast during rainy season, but most days, although fog free, are having boring sunsets, mainly due to absence of clouds. Tried to mine my shots best I could.

Wanted to create images with impact but it is hard. Plan to keep on chasing....

Helpful ideas and harsh criticism is cherished!

1)
1W7A3091-Edit-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A3084-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A3049-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A3058-Edit-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A3269-Edit-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A3414-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A3508-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A3533-Edit-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A3442-Edit-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A3644-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

11)
1W7A3661-X3.jpg

12)
1W7A3659-Edit-X3.jpg

13)
1W7A3125-Edit-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited March 4, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wanted to create images with impact but it is hard. Plan to keep on chasing....

The Pigeon Point shots, especially that last one - have impact! They're all good, but wow. Do you have a color shot of the starry sky Pigeon?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    Wow! #'s 4, and 13 really stand out clap.gif. Also favorites for me are shots 1,2,9 and 11 thumb.gif.

Shot #3 would be better for me if the exposure was just a tad longer making the water a little more "silkier". Seems to be between normal water shot and the silky effect. Maybe you didn't have that option without blowing out the sky. Was this with an FLW filter?

Shot # 7 the foreground cliffs seem a little blown out with #8 being much better. Once again I suspect the direct lighting on that aspect of the rock face made that tougher to accomplish.

Shot #12 seems to need a tad more in the foreground but the colors are amazing. #11 works better because of the interesting formation of the solitary rock island.

Once again 5 stars for #'s 4 and 13! and the others are VERY close behind. You capture all the colors so very well! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    Terrific body of work, Taz. Your penchant for emphasizing strong foreground elements has given your landscape work a distinctive flair. I notice that several of the other accomplished landscape shooters on our forum have begun to adopt similar techniques.

Keep the good stuff coming.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    The Pigeon Point shots, especially that last one - have impact! They're all good, but wow. Do you have a color shot of the starry sky Pigeon?

Thanks David!! Much appreciate it!

Last shot is not mono-chrome even if it appears so. It was just dark and starry and I think if I faced the other way, the noise/light from Santa Cruz would probably add to colors. Or maybe some processing tweaks are needed to bring it out. I am hoping to get the blueish/purple galaxy one of these day!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015
    Wow! #'s 4, and 13 really stand out clap.gif. Also favorites for me are shots 1,2,9 and 11 thumb.gif.

Shot #3 would be better for me if the exposure was just a tad longer making the water a little more "silkier". Seems to be between normal water shot and the silky effect. Maybe you didn't have that option without blowing out the sky. Was this with an FLW filter?

Shot # 7 the foreground cliffs seem a little blown out with #8 being much better. Once again I suspect the direct lighting on that aspect of the rock face made that tougher to accomplish.

Shot #12 seems to need a tad more in the foreground but the colors are amazing. #11 works better because of the interesting formation of the solitary rock island.

Once again 5 stars for #'s 4 and 13! and the others are VERY close behind. You capture all the colors so very well! bowdown.gif

Thanks much Wayne!

For #3, just straight shooting in low light. The good light was only for few moments so didn't have chance to think it through.

For #7, I tried to take care of cliffs in processing. My monitor doesn't show it, but I could have made it tad less bright. Will try another version and post it. Thanks for pointing that out!!

For #12, it was my attempt to create seascape abstract.....aiming for simplicity. Doesn't always work. Hope to catch the magic of minimalism and beauty some time.

Cheers m8!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015
    Terrific body of work, Taz. Your penchant for emphasizing strong foreground elements has given your landscape work a distinctive flair. I notice that several of the other accomplished landscape shooters on our forum have begun to adopt similar techniques.

Keep the good stuff coming.

Tom

Thanks Tom! Hope you start posting too! Everyone needs/deserves a friend like you!
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    Taz, I am in awe. This is such an extraordinary series. #11 - the composition of this one is perfect - I love the silhouettes. I like the perspective of #9. #13 - is just perfect in every way especially with the magical position of the light in the tower - this one especially belongs in frame.

As for criticism - puleeze -why wasn't I there to learn ?
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    One more thing - maybe it's just my monitor, but there appears to be two small orange lines at the left of #13. Don't know if you can improve on perfection, but cropping those out would be helpful. :D
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    One more thing - maybe it's just my monitor, but there appears to be two small orange lines at the left of #13. Don't know if you can improve on perfection, but cropping those out would be helpful. :D

Hi Jo, thanks for kind comments! Much appreciate them. I noticed it just now. It is not in my Lightroom shot. Somehow it may be getting corrupted during export or smugmug is doing something to it. I will try to crop and update see if that make it go away.
    I refreshed cookies and it went away. Strange....
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015

I updated it, reloading should show it. Hope it is better, or can mellow it out more! Thanks for help!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    I updated it, reloading should show it. Hope it is better, or can mellow it out more! Thanks for help!

Taz...this is perfect. The definition of the foreground cliffs in now more visible. What a great composition! I only wish I could get some lessons from you! thumb.gif

Anxious now to see your next efforts!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    Wow ... just wow ....
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2015
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Wow ... just wow ....

Thanks Gary! Means a lot!
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2015
    heel mooie reeks, al hou ik niet zo van die trage sluitertijden.
    grt,boco.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2015
    Great series. #4 is the winner for me.

I'm not sure why, but the shadows cast on a few of the others bother me. Not much you can really do about that in those locations.

I wonder if #11 would be stronger if you crop out the lower !/3 of the foreground.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2015
    Great stuff, man!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Great series. #4 is the winner for me.

I'm not sure why, but the shadows cast on a few of the others bother me. Not much you can really do about that in those locations.

I wonder if #11 would be stronger if you crop out the lower !/3 of the foreground.

Thanks Mitch for kind and valuable feedback!! I noticed the shadows in #2 and #7 on the location itself and considered changing the comp. I over thought it and wondered if shadows would add some drama or interest.....also wanted to know if they stick out enough to be bothersome. I sincerely appreciate your input because it confirms my original instinct to comp them out and next time my decision would be bit simpler. In #5 I wanted the top of the bluffs to have the first-light and rest dark, so it may not work but was intentional.

For #11, I have executed that shot before and framed it the way you suggested as that seems to be the best way. The difference this time was that tide was high so even immediate foreground was smooth.....in the past due to low tide there was some gunk in front of me and it was convenient to get rid of it. Just trying to be different this time but it doesn't work....no matter how hard you force it!:D My hope is not have to rely on long exposure to try and create interest with smooth abstract but can never find interesting sky, despite half dozen attempts.

Below is the modified shot and 2 from previous attempts

Pre-dawn 20 minutes exposure
    1W7A3217-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

Dawn - 6.4 minute exposure
    1W7A3661-X3.jpg

Blue Hour after sunset - 54 seconds exposure
    1W7A6747-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    boco wrote: »
    heel mooie reeks, al hou ik niet zo van die trage sluitertijden.
    grt,boco.

Thanks Boco! Ik waardeer uw vriendelijke reactie! Ik weet dat je niet genieten van lange belichtingen. In feite soms, als ik het fotograferen zeg ik tegen mezelf, "Boco is niet van plan om dit als;! O) hoop ik meer interessant licht vinden waar ik niet hoeft te rekenen op lange belichtingstijden en abstracte uitstraling aan interesse in het creëren schot. hoewel, vaker wel dan niet in weinig licht, ga je op zijn minst enigszins langzame sluitertijd te krijgen, tenzij je bij zeer hoge ISO te schieten. ik hoop te creëren als zeegezicht of stream geschoten op volle snelheid, speciaal voor jou! Proost!

_____

Thanks Boco! I really appreciate your kind comment! I know you don't enjoy long exposures. In fact sometimes when I am shooting I say to myself, "Boco is not going to like this! ;o) I hope to find more interesting light where I don't have to rely on long exposures and abstract look to create interest in the shot. In low light though, more often than not, you are going to get at least somewhat slow shutter, unless you shoot at very high ISO. I hope to create a seascape or stream shot at full speed, just for you! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Great stuff, man!! clap.gif

Thanks Bro! I am gonna try tonight for full moon, but in early morning. Hope to not get ticket. Not sure if 3:00am will work for you!:D

So that you know, your teachings at work! Tried 2 pano shots (#6 and #10). Still trying to get hang of it! Cheers!
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Some great shots Taz! I like these areas and this is often the best times to shoot them. I've been disappointed by the cloudless skies as well, but it looks like you scored some nice light and clouds too. I especially like the light on 3, 4, 7 & 8 (shark fin cove), but I'm less excited by the Natural Bridges shots. I like the pre-dawn shot (20 minutes is pretty impressive) the best, mostly for its abstract feel, followed by the Blue Hour after sunset. The others feel a little static with the horizon centered.

With the time change this weekend, it will make it easier to get down there after work!

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2015
    Some great shots Taz! I like these areas and this is often the best times to shoot them. I've been disappointed by the cloudless skies as well, but it looks like you scored some nice light and clouds too. I especially like the light on 3, 4, 7 & 8 (shark fin cove), but I'm less excited by the Natural Bridges shots. I like the pre-dawn shot (20 minutes is pretty impressive) the best, mostly for its abstract feel, followed by the Blue Hour after sunset. The others feel a little static with the horizon centered.

With the time change this weekend, it will make it easier to get down there after work!

Mike

Many thanks Mike! Your work that you have shared from these spots, has been major inspiration!
    The light, vibrance and sharpness that I have seen in your shots, is still a goal for me!

I have good news for you though.....the weather for this upcoming weekend looks very interesting. It looks mostly cloudy, but if pattern holds it would be slight less worse than they are predicting and it should be good news for us!

Cheers!
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Outstanding!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2015
    Outstanding!!!!!

Thanks JBR!! Hope your adventures are going well!
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Many thanks Mike! Your work that you have shared from these spots, has been major inspiration!
    The light, vibrance and sharpness that I have seen in your shots, is still a goal for me!

I have good news for you though.....the weather for this upcoming weekend looks very interesting. It looks mostly cloudy, but if pattern holds it would be slight less worse than they are predicting and it should be good news for us!

Cheers!

You're too funny.

Yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both the weather and the schedule to align. Be sure to share if you get out.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Hi, impossible to pick a favourite, they are all so good - fantastic series.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    These are just brilliant! amazing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi, impossible to pick a favourite, they are all so good - fantastic series.

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard! Very kind!
    These are just brilliant! amazing

Thanks Awais! Always special to hear from you!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2015
    Dang! That is a successful shoot! Some real standouts in this series but a great mix of comps and scenes.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    All good work Taz.
    -Len