Options

Tumbling Creek

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited March 22, 2015 in Landscapes
Tumbling Creek is in the Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management area in Washington County, Va.
After all the snow melting and recent rains, it really is tumbling!! C&C's appreciated.

DSC_0386-7-X2.jpg

#2.
DSC_0398-7-X2.jpg

#3.
DSC_0436-7-2-X2.jpg

#4.
DSC_0450-7-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2015
    #3 overall for me Wayne! It is sweet (it also doesn't have issue mentioned below)!
    Comp for #2 is thrilling!
    You have however run into same issue that all of us run into on a bright day, shooting in creek. Wherever the sunlight hits, it is going to appear too hot or blown out. Even a strong graduated neutral density filter will, help you only so much.
    Second, you may get called out by slow shutter police! ;o)
    It may be too milky.....
    To get definition out of water, 1-2 seconds, so have to give up depth (aperture) or higher iso.
    For location like this, hope for overcast or cloudy day, or when angle of sun is low enough that it skips over the area of interest!
    Keep shooting my friend!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2015
    ^ I agree, except that I like very slow exposures of streams at times. I like the third one but it seems not quite straight to me.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    #3 overall for me Wayne! It is sweet (it also doesn't have issue mentioned below)!
    Comp for #2 is thrilling!
    You have however run into same issue that all of us run into on a bright day, shooting in creek. Wherever the sunlight hits, it is going to appear too hot or blown out. Even a strong graduated neutral density filter will, help you only so much.
    Second, you may get called out by slow shutter police! ;o)
    It may be too milky.....
    To get definition out of water, 1-2 seconds, so have to give up depth (aperture) or higher iso.
    For location like this, hope for overcast or cloudy day, or when angle of sun is low enough that it skips over the area of interest!
    Keep shooting my friend!

Taz, thanks so much for your input! Really helps me out. I see what you are seeing as well. In fact I did take multiple exposures from each location thinking that the "silky" vs "non-silky" issue might arise. The lighting was really difficult in that part of the stream was getting sun and other parts were in deep shade. This shot was with a shorter exposure taken at the same location as #4 and gives less glare with more stream definition. Let me know what you think comparing the two shots.

#4 Part 2

DSC_0444-Edit-4-7-X2.jpg
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    ^ I agree, except that I like very slow exposures of streams at times. I like the third one but it seems not quite straight to me.

Don, thanks for commenting. I think I see what you are seeing in regards to the shot not being quite straight. Let me know if this is not better. I tried to take the water "glare" down a bit also.

#3. Part 2

DSC_0436-7-3-X2.jpg

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2015
    The faster stream has energy and I love it. I too love slow shutters, but its a fine line! Love the rework version of it as well! Keep it up!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    Wayne, at the farthest part of the stream I can see, a little left of center in the top, my brain says that the line between shore and water should be horizontal. Same with the waterline in the upper left.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Wayne, at the farthest part of the stream I can see, a little left of center in the top, my brain says that the line between shore and water should be horizontal. Same with the waterline in the upper left.

Ahhhh, now I see and you're exactly right. Either you have a very keen eye or I was completely off on the crop and I'm thinking both! Here is...

#3. Part 3!

DSC_0434-edit-8-7-X2.jpg

• Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    The faster stream has energy and I love it. I too love slow shutters, but its a fine line! Love the rework version of it as well! Keep it up!clap.gif

Thanks Taz! I gotta say I probably have several more variations in the exposure settings on this particular shot, but I like this one as well. Always appreciate your input bro!

• Options
    edited March 16, 2015
    Now it's straight!
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2015
    I agree with Taz on the shutter speed. Dreamy subtle streams are one thing, but a strong flowing stream like the one above shouldn't be robbed of it's power and energy. As a whitewater enthusiast, the faster moving water looks much more enticing.

Great work throughout the entire set, regardless of my input.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    I agree with Taz on the shutter speed. Dreamy subtle streams are one thing, but a strong flowing stream like the one above shouldn't be robbed of it's power and energy. As a whitewater enthusiast, the faster moving water looks much more enticing.

Great work throughout the entire set, regardless of my input.

JonaBeth, thanks for taking the time to look at the shots. I really appreciate it!

• Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2015
    Great shots, nice use of the slow shutter!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2015
    Great shots, nice use of the slow shutter!

Carl, thanks for looking at the shots. I really appreciate the comment! Have to say I'm just learning to use the ND filter!