Pill Woodlouse or Pill Bug

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited April 17, 2015 in Holy Macro
Armadillidium vulgare is one of those species which can roll up perfectly.

I found this on a log in the pile I have recently been searching for macro subjects. As is typical, I was searching for tiny slime mould and found a huge millipede.

Larger than the largest ordinary woodlice, this has a very arched back and is shiny, with yellow markings. (Some of the small species are also shiny, with yellow makings).

As I found out, it is not too good at holding on to the substrate if not horizontal. I had to pick it up several times to replace it on the log. It walks rather fast, making framing a challenge.

The closing up into a ball (it is one the wood, not emerging from it) is also a feature of the pill millipede but the woodlouse is a crustacean and has gill plates, as can be seen on the first inverted one (jelly-like structures toward the posterior end). The other inverted one gives a better view of the face than when it is upright.

EM-1 (manual mode), Kiron 105mm macro f11, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held with some support from a bean bag.

Harold

1122526.jpg

1122527.jpg

1122528.jpg

1122529.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Lovely captures Harold. Only rarely find these in the garden- 99% of the woodlice I have are the flatter types.
    Brian v.
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Lovely captures Harold. Only rarely find these in the garden- 99% of the woodlice I have are the flatter types.
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

Yes, I get mostly the large, flat greys but also a few of the smaller ones, much like the Pill but brown, with a transverse yellow mark on the rear apex of the head. Unknowingly, I once photographed a white one which I though was an immature of the other but is a separate species. This week, I saw what looked like a lemon-yellow one fall off a piece of wood as I turned it over but could not find it to confirm.

Harold