ICL's, cataract surgery, and photography

waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 23, 2015 in The Big Picture
So...I am very nearsighted (-11.50). Finally time to get the eyes fixed.

Wondering what is best for photography? (and shooting, and welding, and other things, but those Q's are for other forums).

Who among us has had cataract surgery/ICL's done? What "focus" did you go with....near sharp, far sharp, or the monovision with one near, one far? If monovision, which eye is "close"?

Anything you'd do different? Any tips and suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    So...I am very nearsighted (-11.50). Finally time to get the eyes fixed.

Wondering what is best for photography? (and shooting, and welding, and other things, but those Q's are for other forums).

Who among us has had cataract surgery/ICL's done? What "focus" did you go with....near sharp, far sharp, or the monovision with one near, one far? If monovision, which eye is "close"?

Anything you'd do different? Any tips and suggestions?

Thanks!

Well, good question but I hesitate to play Doctor so I suggest you ask your real one. I have a hunch he'll say Photography is simply seeing well which the operation is designed to allow you to do.
    I doubt Photography has a special set of surgical techniques applicable.
  • waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    Had a very good consult with both the cataract doc and my regular eye doctor. Spent some time talking about priorities in vision, how choices would relate to and affect different activities. Going to go with mini monovision, distance in right dominant eye, and intermediate in the left (about arms length). I don't chimp much at all, so the intermediate will be good enough to adjust settings and things without having to switch back and forth to reading glasses. Set up some trial lenses and it looks like it will work fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    edited May 2, 2015
    BTW, they put much of the decision on the patient, because there are different targets/intended outcomes, and what choice you make should be the best match for your priorities in vision.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    edited May 23, 2015
    Welp, got it done!

Right (dominant) eye is at distance, doing 20/20 or a hair better. Left eye is settling in at just under arm's length, good enough to read email on phone, work camera menus, etc, without having to put on readers.

Amazing view in the viewfinder now...coming from coke-bottle lenses (-11.50, way more than the viewfinder diopter correction could ever compensate for). I can see all the corners at once! (Nikon FF).

Wish I'd done it ten years ago...