Option to display Galler descriptions in Folder/subfolder view

martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited August 31, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
When looking at a folder of galleries, we used to see the gallery name, description, number of photos etc etc as part of the text under the thumbnail

Now it appears to be just the gallery name

Same with folders, it used to say how many galleries and photos where in there

Comments

• pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    When looking at a folder of galleries, we used to see the gallery name, description, number of photos etc etc as part of the text under the thumbnail

Now it appears to be just the gallery name

Same with folders, it used to say how many galleries and photos where in there

Yes, I agree; I'd like the option to show gallery descriptions under (or next to) galleries when viewing a folder of galleries. It would be nice if we had the ability to choose to show/hide each of the items you mentioned (gallery name, description, number of photos).
  • HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Option to display Gallery descriptions in Folder/subfolder view
    Currently, there is no way to display gallery description text adjacent to a gallery thumbnail when viewing the contents of a folder or subfolder. This is a feature that was present in Legacy SmugMug and it makes it much easier for visitors to navigate the contents of your site rather than having to go by short gallery titles and one large thumbnail for the gallery.

Would be nice to have an option to enable gallery descriptions on all the different styles for viewing, but if that is not possible, there should be at least 1 new style that displays gallery thumbnails and gallery descriptions as in Legacy SmugMug.
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
  • MPRamseyMPRamsey Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    @HamsterHuey....I TOTALLY agree. I use this feature exactly as you describe....to provide my users a much easier method to browse and locate what they are looking for. I have submitted an email to the Heros asking how to turn this feature on. I hope there is a way or if not, they add it very soon.
  • uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Would really like this!
  • vwlovr63vwlovr63 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2013
    I can't believe this isn't available. ne_nau.gif

I keep trying to figure out what I'm missing as far as a setting to get my descriptions to appear without needing to click in to the galleries. I guess I'm not missing something, and it really isn't there anymore? It's a huge oversight, in my opinion. My folders end up looking like Flickr used to with all the folders mashed together... messy IMO. Had I known this would go away I'd have held off migrating in hope they'd implement it!
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Just adding my voice; I would also like the option to turn gallery descriptions on in some sort of "folder" view.
  • einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
  • martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    yep, I mentioned this as soon as the new Smugmug was released

the old one would show the gallery/category description, and also some info like '32 photos' or something

come on Smugmug!
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    Merged threads.

This has been submitted, but there is no ETA on when or if it will be completed. I apologize.
  • MarkmanMarkman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2014
    +1
  • DelightfulLightDelightfulLight Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2014
    Thanks for the submission to make Gallery titles and descriptions show/hide by clicking. I'm looking forward to its fruition? Any word yet on ETA?
  • herojosieherojosie Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2014
    Hi,

Sorry, we still don't have any ETA on this feature request. If you have any other questions though, just let us know.
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ChinwaggerChinwagger Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2015
    Display a Description a Folder
    I have read in the forum that this can't be done but then the last discussion I saw on it was 2013. Has this changed since, has anyone a work around with CSS or alike?

Thanks
  • TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2015
    I am very sorry but there are no updates on this feature request at this time.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2015
    Morning, +1 this would help me a lot Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
    edited April 3, 2015
    Over 18 months since this request to reinstate a feature that we had with the 'old smugmug'

Come on guys, we are paying customers here, how hard can this be!
  • nwardripnwardrip Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2015
    Please bring this back! It is essential to how I organize! Also, you must add a date property to each gallery so that galleries can be auto-sorted on date within a folder. The add date and modified date don't cut it.
    edited August 15, 2015
    We've now passed the 2 year mark on this request - a simple request to have a feature back that we had before - it's a shame Smugmug don't listen or care any more.
  • burtenshawburtenshaw Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2015
    I also really need this. I've got thousands of galleries. Most of those are for sporting events and I've used long names containing the date and the teams to make it easy for people to find photos. The new Smugmug seems to truncate those gallery names and no description.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2015
    burtenshaw wrote: »
    I also really need this. I've got thousands of galleries. Most of those are for sporting events and I've used long names containing the date and the teams to make it easy for people to find photos. The new Smugmug seems to truncate those gallery names and no description.
    On a folder page the gallery names can be show whole with a little CSS. Got a link to a folder with
    galleries that we can test for adding CSS?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • burtenshawburtenshaw Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2015
    The following CSS code worked to display the complete gallery name.

/* Place Titles on Thumbnails in Folders.
    Will wrap the long gallery titles in the grid format. */
    .sm-tiles-grid .sm-tile-info p {
    padding-left: 24px !important;
    padding-right: 0!important;
    overflow: visible !important;
    white-space:normal !important;
    height: auto !important;
    }

I'd also like descriptions but I can probably at least live with the complete gallery names.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    We've now passed the 2 year mark on this request - a simple request to have a feature back that we had before - it's a shame Smugmug don't listen or care any more.

Between Dgrin and the Feedback Forums we are listening and we really do mean it when we say SmugMug is a family that we care about. Our design team removed these as part of our effort to clean up galleries and ensure your photos are the center of attention. As we go to improve galleries and designs in the future we'll re-evaluate and see if there's a beautiful way to add this information back in. That doesn't mean that they'll necessarily get added back into the designs, but it's something I've asked them to see if they can bring back.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    ... Our design team removed these as part of our effort to clean up galleries and ensure your photos are the center of attention. As we go to improve galleries ...
    This has nothing to do with galleries, it has to do with a folder where gallery/sub-folder thumbs are shown. Perhaps as a gallery or sub-folder thumb is hovered a small popup with the number of photos/galleries and last update info in it?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    Between Dgrin and the Feedback Forums we are listening and we really do mean it when we say SmugMug is a family that we care about. Our design team removed these as part of our effort to clean up galleries and ensure your photos are the center of attention. As we go to improve galleries and designs in the future we'll re-evaluate and see if there's a beautiful way to add this information back in. That doesn't mean that they'll necessarily get added back into the designs, but it's something I've asked them to see if they can bring back.

Aaron, I don't think you understood the issue in this thread... it's about Folders, not galleries.
    And it's not about a function that used to exist but was removed - it never existed. My recollection is that Javascript had to be added, but served the purpose, which was to add a description under a gallery thumbnail in the Folder view. We want to be able to add a description in folders, one for each gallery.
    edited August 22, 2015
    In the spirit of devising workarounds - I know, I know, they can take a lot of work - but if you really want to devise something, it occurs me:

I haven't done this yet, but on this page, just to get a visual sense: http://www.joinrats.com/RatBehaviors, where I have one folder block that spreads as 4 rows with 3 galleries each, I *could*:

- Add 3 folder blocks instead of 1
    - Below each folder block, add 3 text or HTML blocks side by side, one for each gallery, sized and formatted to match the gallery above.
    - Add description for each gallery.

I don't have tons of galleries in one folder, so this might be manageable in this circumstance.
    I kinda like this idea...
    edited August 22, 2015
    Aaron?
    Aaron? How hard would it be to add a field in the Gallery setting, for "populate under thumbnail in Folder block"? You already have gallery description in the Gallery settings, so add a similar field for "folder description". Now, folder thumbnails already add the gallery title under the thumbnail. Adding one more field - how hard can it be?
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    In the spirit of devising workarounds - I know, I know, they can take a lot of work - but if you really want to devise something, it occurs me:

I haven't done this yet, but on this page, just to get a visual sense: http://www.joinrats.com/RatBehaviors, where I have one folder block that spreads as 4 rows with 3 galleries each, I *could*:

- Below each folder block, add 3 text or HTML blocks side by side, one for each gallery, sized and formatted to match the gallery above.

I don't have tons of galleries in one folder, so this might be manageable in this circumstance.
    edited August 22, 2015
    Further tweaks:
    - Add on/off option (in gallery settings) to include descriptions or not (under gallery thumbnails in folders).
    - Add option for "above, below, left or right" for placement of the description relative to the thumbnails
    - Add option for S, M, or L typeface
    - Add option to limit # of lines, say, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or ALL. (Especially all.)
    - Make clicking the description open into the gallery

iloveyou.gif

Aaron? How hard would it be to add a field in the Gallery setting, for "populate under thumbnail in Folder block"? You already have gallery description in the Gallery settings, so add a similar field for "folder description". Now, folder thumbnails already add the gallery title under the thumbnail. Adding one more field - how hard can it be?
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 31, 2015
    Further tweaks:
    - Add on/off option (in gallery settings) to include descriptions or not (under gallery thumbnails in folders).
    - Add option for "above, below, left or right" for placement of the description relative to the thumbnails
    - Add option for S, M, or L typeface
    - Add option to limit # of lines, say, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or ALL. (Especially all.)
    - Make clicking the description open into the gallery

iloveyou.gif

We're planning on adding Folder descriptions in eventually. You can also already control some placement of the title/description (under, bottom bar, etc). Options for text size: I'll add to our Feature Requests. Thanks for the suggestions!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited August 31, 2015
    We're planning on adding Folder descriptions in eventually. You can also already control some placement of the title/description (under, bottom bar, etc). Options for text size: I'll add to our Feature Requests. Thanks for the suggestions!

Aaron, boot this up, please!!! SM has to know how important this is, after all, a visitor lands in a folder and sees - little or no text. How limiting is that??

Your comment to my post left out the original suggestion, so here it is again:

clap.gifclapclap.gif