Options

Moonlit Coast

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited September 3, 2015 in Landscapes
Only my second foray into capturing moonlit scenes. Lots more to learn, like exposure blending, but this is what I got from last weekend's full moon.

All kind comments and harsh criticism is heartily cherished!

1)
1W7A8894-Edit-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A8904-Edit-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A8890-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A8923-Edit-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A8948-Edit-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A9012-Edit-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A9041-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A9047-Edit-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A9098-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited September 3, 2015
    Stupid bright moon, making pictures look like daytime! :D

OK... #'s 2, 7 and 8 are tops for me. That bridge shot is clean and crisp. thumb.gif

Is #9 for real, or did you expose another just for the moon? (I'm guessing the second or you have a Sony sensor from the future)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Really nice! People are always photographing the moon but it's more uncommon to see moonlit landscapes and I'm glad you took some.

Numbers 1 and 8 work for me in all regards. Number 2 is dramatic but it doesn't evoke anything for me. Number 7 is terrific, although I suspect you'd rather have had the moon in a different place, but you couldn't do that with this fine composition.

If I were you I'd be delighted with these.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 3, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Is #9 for real, or did you expose another just for the moon? (I'm guessing the second or you have a Sony sensor from the future)
    #9 is my pick of the set for sure because it's the only shot where the moon is exposed properly. David, my guess is that the shot was taken late enough in the morning so that the exposure between the moon and the earth was within even a Canon sensor's dynamic range. Really an awesome shot and worth the investment of most of a night to get. deal.gif
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Nice work! I like 5-9 best. I have the same question on #9, how did you manage that?
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    I totally agree with Joel. I've looked at the shots several times now and #9 is by far my favorite.
    The others are nice shots but looking at the composition, colors, dynamic range, sky quality along with the outstanding moon (bowdown.gif) exposure in 9 makes it the one I would take home! Great work on this!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    klaesserklaesser Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Beautifully done. Having driven California Hwy 1 fro its northern start to its southern end several times, am I recognizing anything here
    Got a camera couple of lenses and some other stuff
    I am not a pro - I just have fun
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Great set of images. thumb.gifthumb

5-9 are wonderful. The moon in 9 is perfect, but not my favorite composition.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    I agree with Phil. Technically, number 9 is best, but technical perfection is overrated.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Stupid bright moon, making pictures look like daytime! :D

OK... #'s 2, 7 and 8 are tops for me. That bridge shot is clean and crisp. thumb.gif

Thanks truly David! Can't say that enough!

It was so bright that on these hazardous cliffs I did not have to use any flash or headlamp. Based on what I know, had to expose enough to get away from "noise" and generate "punch". Then do all that can be done in post to get as close to "night" as possible. It is work in progress!:D

For #9, I have noticed that there is a 5-10 min window when moon does come low enough and cools of and yet has not been washed out by day light.....so for someone like me who has no clue yet about exposure blend, that would be the time to get comp and moon right.

After hearing all the great things about Sony sensor, I am thinking I should at least rent a body and see what all the hub-hub is about!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Really nice! People are always photographing the moon but it's more uncommon to see moonlit landscapes and I'm glad you took some.

Numbers 1 and 8 work for me in all regards. Number 2 is dramatic but it doesn't evoke anything for me. Number 7 is terrific, although I suspect you'd rather have had the moon in a different place, but you couldn't do that with this fine composition.

If I were you I'd be delighted with these.

Thanks kindly Don! You are always right on with your info and critique and I cherish it truly!
    If you notice, there are no "star trails" and that is because last time you made the point when I posted a moonlit shot that it might be better to get rid of them......most of the stars wash out with moonlight and few that caused trails I was able to get rid of them. It was both newer subject and part of the location was new so with better planning moon and comp can be put together much better!

Thanks much again!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    #9 is my pick of the set for sure because it's the only shot where the moon is exposed properly. David, my guess is that the shot was taken late enough in the morning so that the exposure between the moon and the earth was within even a Canon sensor's dynamic range. Really an awesome shot and worth the investment of most of a night to get. deal.gif

Thanks Joel! You are right as usual!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice work! I like 5-9 best. I have the same question on #9, how did you manage that?

Thanks Cristobal! Appreciate it very much! Did nothing on differently but as my response to David, the moon does cool off when it gets lower and sunlight is not yet strong enough to wash it out, so it just comes out naturally. Probably best time to score shots when it is low and not washed out. I am never content with with just one shot.....so keep on shooting......but if exposure blend works then it could probably be exposed separately. I think moon is probably 3-4 if not more stops brighter when it is hot.....because I know I tried stop and half and couldn't pick up anything....Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    I totally agree with Joel. I've looked at the shots several times now and #9 is by far my favorite.
    The others are nice shots but looking at the composition, colors, dynamic range, sky quality along with the outstanding moon (bowdown.gif) exposure in 9 makes it the one I would take home! Great work on this!

Thanks kindly Wayne! Wish I had kept comp in 7 when moon co-operated but that comes from better planning!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    klaesser wrote: »
    Beautifully done. Having driven California Hwy 1 fro its northern start to its southern end several times, am I recognizing anything here

Thanks Kenneth! You are Bay Area man, so I am sure this drive would be one of your favorite haunts! Probably run into you some day! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great set of images. thumb.gifthumb

5-9 are wonderful. The moon in 9 is perfect, but not my favorite composition.

Phil

Thanks much Phil!wings.gif I agree!