Options

Levels Digital Darkroom Assignment: 6/8 - 6/15

2»

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I can do better at answering later tonight or tomorrow. And I have been gone all day.

Thanks, in your absence David found it and posted a link. You're off the hook. mwink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    Playing with Levels in my backyard
    I use adjustment layers a lot, from levels to curves to saturation, etc. What I tried to do this time was ONLY use levels.

I used a levels adjustment layer to intially deal with brightness/contrast. I created a flattened layer and then adjusted the color balance with another levels adjustment layer to get rid of the blue color cast.

To saturate the color of the sky I selected the sky using color range and then used another levels adjustment to increase the intensity of the blue (for only the sky).

Final edits included removing the rake and adding a border.

(this photo is over my backyard fence)

Before
    5073381-L.jpg

After
    5073382-L.jpg

Brad
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    I use adjustment layers a lot, from levels to curves to saturation, etc. What I tried to do this time was ONLY use levels.

I used a levels adjustment layer to intially deal with brightness/contrast. I created a flattened layer and then adjusted the color balance with another levels adjustment layer to get rid of the blue color cast.

To saturate the color of the sky I selected the sky using color range and then used another levels adjustment to increase the intensity of the blue (for only the sky).

Final edits included removing the rake and adding a border.

(this photo is over my backyard fence)

Brad

Nice work, Brad.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Just for the record, the cokin P series only differ from the A series in size and cost. The P series are larger.
    For your camera the A series filters will work just as well and cost less and are smaller.
    Even if you do not have threads on the front of your lens for filters it still may be usefull to have the filter. On shots with shutter speeds 1/15th or more it is possible to just hold the filter in front of the lens with your other hand. Hold it as still as you can and you wil likely get the result you are looking for.

This shot was taken while hand holding the graduated nuetral density filter in front of the lense.

4781544-M.jpg

Thanks Greaper (and Sid and Pathfinder), I love this shot. I guess I'll have to get one of these filters. My lens adapter has threads so I should be able to get one to fit. I have tried holding the filters from my old camera in front of the lens - it works pretty well when I can use the view screen. Sometimes the screen is not very visible in bright daylight and of course you can't see what you've got through the viewer. I'll give B&H a try. Got the camera from them. I was happy with their service.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Frog Face
    I have been so wrapped in trying to find "People in My Neighborhood," that I have really accomplished little with regard to the forum... But that being said, here is my entry. "Frog Face"
    adjusted Levels, Color and Balance, and slight acceleration to Contrast.

Frog Face
    before
    5131040-L.jpg

Frog Face

after
    5131092-L.jpg

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    I have been so wrapped in trying to find "People in My Neighborhood," that I have really accomplished little with regard to the forum... But that being said, here is my entry. "Frog Face"
    adjusted Levels, Color and Balance, and slight acceleration to C

You made the frog look scarier, so it must have worked.

I used levels, for the first time posting to another list. I had posted the same photo before without levels. With levels, we all realized that I am starving the poor dog and she has many areas of her face indicative of stress, including the recessed eye pockets.

All from levels. And other times no difference. Love the frog. Can you do a cockroach? I can't catch one.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.