Product Releases: Through December 9, 2015

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited December 13, 2015 in SmugMug Product News
New:
- You can now align folder, gallery, and photo Titles, Captions, and Descriptions by either “Left”, “Center” or “Right” without having to use custom CSS. You can find the “Info Text Alignment” option in the Customizer.
- Revamped the Image Info panel. (see more below)
- When ordering print products, we now estimate the production time of the order, to help plan for shipping dates.
- For the holidays: deadlines to order print products and have them arrive for the holidays is now displayed.
- If a photo fails to upload for some reason, we will automatically retry the upload. This works in solving many of the upload errors that we’ve been seeing (note: not all errors are retried).
- SmugMug’s favorite fonts are now displayed in your theme’s Font Picker, at the very top, using the style of the font, to make it easier to select which font you’d like for your site!
- The “Get-a-Link” tool was replaced with a new iteration of the “Share Panel.” Your favorite tools are all still there but in a more streamlined interface. Also works on mobile!
- Connecting a domain purchased through GoDaddy is now automated to make custom domains easier to add to SmugMug!
- Updated the design of the Profile Content Block. More improvements are in the works.
- New 4x8 flat cards: say bye bye to the filmsy 4x8 photo paper “cards”. We now use real card stock using either Matte, Felt, or Pearl stock cards. To enable, add them to your Pricelists.
- Orders placed with Bay Photo will now ship with FedEx instead of UPS.

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed a bug that prevented adding products to the cart for owners on retina displays.
- Fixed a bug that was causing the Profile Content Block to not fully load in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed a bug that prevented users from viewing Fullscreen Slideshows on password protected galleries.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Quick News from being closed on small browser heights.
- Squashed an issue that was preventing the Organizer’s “Gallery Settings” from showing the default Gallery Style.
- Fixed several bugs related to pinning headers, footers, or left/right sidebars.

Image Info Panel:
The new and improved Image Info Panel behaves similarly to the old: it opens when the “i” is pressed and keyboard arrows can be used to go to the next and previous image. We have some design updates and some changes:
- The list of metadata we show initially has been streamlined. We’ll show the most important information (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, lens, camera, etc).
- If users want to see additional metadata, we’ve added a “Show More” button. It will show all the metadata we have on the photo, not just the few pieces of metadata we previously showed.
- The map has been moved to a new “Map” tab.

Additionally, I knew some of you would want to customize exactly what's displayed, so I made sure to add some “goodies” in for our advanced users who want to do some extra customization. Using CSS, you can edit any meta field they’d like, including hiding ones you don’t want to be displayed.

Example 1: Change the color of certain metadata fields:
/* Make the Author and Exposure Bias Fields Orange */
.sm-panel-imageinfo [data-metadata=“Author"], 
.sm-panel-imageinfo [data-metadata=“Exposure Bias"] {
   color: orange;
}

Example 2: Hide certain metadata fields:
/* Remove Saturation and Contrast metadata fields */
.sm-panel-imageinfo [data-metadata=“Saturation"], 
.sm-panel-imageinfo [data-metadata="Contrast"] {
   display: none;
}
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    You have just removed the ability to know if any photos in a gallery have map data. :pissed We are back to clicking
    every photo in the gallery to find one mapped.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    You have just removed the ability to know if any photos in a gallery have map data. :pissed We are back to clicking
    every photo in the gallery to find one mapped.

Can you explain this further? How were you doing it before?
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 9, 2015
    I love the changes to the info pop-up, thank you!

The change to the info shown with this change allows me to remove the CSS I had added to remove the empty map box - it's good to have less custom CSS on my site. And I like that the map is available via a tab for those photos on my site that do include map data.

--- Denise
    edited December 9, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Can you explain this further? How were you doing it before?
    I do not map every photo in a gallery, only a few to show what areas were visited. Sometimes only a
    couple so visitors could at least see the area the photos were taken.

This is an example of 23 out of 79 photos in a gallery with GEO data.
    I basically created my own "Map This" button like Legacy Smug had.
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=48934942_CZVBWZ

Another gallery with only 2 of 82 photos mapped.
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=48939685_h27CjC
    I challenge you to find those two.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/2015-Birding/Birding-2015-April/2015-04-16-to-19-Maryland

On the old info box if the expand arrows was visible it indicated there were mapped photos
    in the gallery even if the current photo showed "No Map Data". I took this one step further and
    added text to indicate that. See screen shot.
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    I'm with Denise on this one. I like the new info box very much, including getting rid of the empty map box (or, in my case too, getting rid of the CSS to hide it.) Lens information is nice. Having the "normalized light" (EV-100) is nice too. I hid the camera and lens serial numbers though.

I guess this wouldn't be Dgrin without something to complain about though! I think you missed on opportunity with the new "Info Text Alignment" by not providing it for SmugMug-styled galleries. As far as I can tell, "Info Text Alignment" is only there for thumbnail, collage portrait, and collage landscape styled galleries.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
    edited December 9, 2015
    Found another completely screwed up design. The old map box when expanded showed all the photos icons
    in the gallery. The new box only shows the icon for the one photo. This really downgrades the map to almost
    useless.
    Clicking thru 100 photos in a gallery to find a mapped photo and then having to continue to click thru gallery
    to find another is really a very poor design.
    :pissed :pissed :pissed :pissed :pissed :pissed
    edited December 9, 2015
    The old map box when expanded showed all the photos icons in the gallery. The new box only shows the icon for the one photo. This really downgrades the map to almost useless.

I know it sucks when a bug allows you to have a work-around and is something you enjoy. In this case, we've fixed the bug with the Image Info map and it's working as its intended. The Image Info is intended to show you information about this image. When a visitor opens the map, the expectation is to be shown exactly where this photo was taken, without being confused on other map points. This is how 500px, Flickr, Google Photos, and pretty much every other photo service operates.

An easy way to tell if the photo has map data or not is to look for the "Map" tab. If there's no location information, the "Map" tab won't be there.

A gallery map can be placed using the Map Content block, though what you're really looking for is for us to bring back the legacy Gallery Map option, which placed a button up near where "Buy Photos", "Download", and "Slideshow" are and opened a full-screen map with all the locations on it. This is something I wouldn't mind having myself, and I'll bring the feature request back to the team.
    Jtring wrote: »
    I'm with Denise on this one. I like the new info box very much
    Glad you like it -- always nice to hear positive thoughts!
    I guess this wouldn't be Dgrin without something to complain about though! I think you missed on opportunity with the new "Info Text Alignment" by not providing it for SmugMug-styled galleries. As far as I can tell, "Info Text Alignment" is only there for thumbnail, collage portrait, and collage landscape styled galleries.
    Would you expect that this would align the Title, Caption, and Keywords beneath the photo? Not a bad idea....
    I love the changes to the info pop-up, thank you!

The change to the info shown with this change allows me to remove the CSS I had added to remove the empty map box - it's good to have less custom CSS on my site.
    The "No Map Data" thing drove me nuts. I was glad we could finally fix that.
    dGrin Afficionado
    edited December 10, 2015
    An easy way to tell if the photo has map data or not is to look for the "Map" tab. If there's no location information, the "Map" tab won't be there..
    Point is, try that with lots of photos in the gallery. That's a lot of photo changes just finding any that
    are mapped. It destroys usability.

The old box showed the green icon centered for the photo. It also showed all the photos around it.
    You could click to expand the icon to multiple photo icons if were close.

This new design is complete garbage. A huge downgrade.
    Actually, there no clue that any photo is mapped in a gallery. You have to click every
    photo in the gallery.

So, you are suggesting that I add a Map widget to thousands of galleries?
    edited December 10, 2015
    So, you are suggesting that I add a Map widget to thousands of galleries?

Image Info displays information about the specific photo that is being viewed and none other. This makes sense and the bug that existed in previous versions was poor usability, it confused viewers who expected to see the location of one photo and instead saw multiple.

You could add the map content block to "All Galleries", as long as you don't have thousands of "Just this Gallery" galleries.

I'm more than happy to entertain other options, however, putting gallery information in "Photo Info" is not the place. For example, the gallery could have a "Map" button, like it did on legacy, next to Buy/Download/Slideshow. Perhaps there's a "Gallery Info" button somewhere. I'm more than happy to entertain other suggestions.
    dGrin Afficionado
    edited December 10, 2015
    I'm more than happy to entertain other options, however, putting gallery information in "Photo Info" is not the place. For example, the gallery could have a "Map" button, like it did on legacy, next to Buy/Download/Slideshow. Perhaps there's a "Gallery Info" button somewhere. I'm more than happy to entertain other suggestions.
    You've destroyed the gallery description width now with all those buttons. Another would be even worst. My suggestion is add all the buttons in the unused space right justified on the breadcrumb line.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 10, 2015
    On my site the Info panel does display the MAP message in the info panel if I have included or have added location to the photo, and does not display the MAP message on any photo that I have not included location data. Previously and also currently I have been using either Aaron's or Nick's code for muting the map display if the photo didn't include the location data. So for me, this seems to work OK with this latest version.
    EDIT: Learning that the custom map/no map code is now legacy and it is being ignored.

What doesn't work anymore is the location droplet used to display how many photos I had for the particular location, and the additional navigation feature if they clicked on each of those fly-out micro-thumbs. So that's eliminated in this release. Now there isn't any way for the viewer to know if there were other photos related to location other than the one they are viewing.
    Image Info displays information about the specific photo that is being viewed and none other. This makes sense and the bug that existed in previous versions was poor usability, it confused viewers who expected to see the location of one photo and instead saw multiple.

That wasn't a bug. That was a feature. And a useful one.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2015
    Thanks for the new Info Box! What I like most ist that you seem to have fixed the bug where the info was NOT shown on photos in smart galleries drawn from password-protected galleries. Now I'm seeing info on all photos, even when I'm not logged in. clap.gif

Cheers, Sara
    edited December 10, 2015
    The new map feature has created a nightmare here. The only choice for me now is add a "Map" button
    to the gallery description so visitors can see what photos have GEO data. The new Map feature
    requires visitors to open the Photo Info popup and cycle through every photo in a gallery looking for a
    map tab to appear. As if any visitor would have a clue to do this. I do not GEO tag every photo, but
    only a few so the location of photos can be see. Imagine going thru 100's of photos looking for 1 or 2
    GEO tagged photos?

Example of Map Button.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/2015-Birding/Birding-2015-December/2015-12-04-SW-Missouri

This is the html I added to the end of my gallery description.
        <span style="color:blue; font-size:13pt;"><b>Click on main photo below 
               for larger version</b></span> 
    </div>
    <center>
    <span class="mapButton" style="padding: 0 5px">
    <a href="http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&amp;Data=53252530_3PDDwH" 
              target="_blank">Click to See Map</a>
    </span>
    </center>
    <div style="clear: both;"></div>

CSS I added to "Entire Site".
    .mapButton {
      width: 120px;
      line-height: 15px;
      background: #444;
      border: 2px solid #aaa;
      font-size: 10pt;
      text-align:center;
    }

.mapButton a {
        text-decoration:none !important;
    }

To add to the nightmare I have to cycle thru every gallery to see if a photo is tagged
    with GEO info so I can add the Map button. A thousand or so galleries. :pissed
  • Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2015
    leftquark could you tell me more precisely where to find "You can find the “Info Text Alignment” option in the Customizer."? I have been looking through all options - I think - but I couldn't find it and it would really be nice to be able to get rid of some of my creepy css (which is mostly creepy because it is calculated from a 15 inch screen hoping it works as well on other screens :) and not because code would have become creepy )

Thanks in advance

Lille Ulven
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 10, 2015
    ...could you tell me more precisely where to find "You can find the “Info Text Alignment” option in the Customizer."? I have been looking through all options - I think - but I couldn't find it and it would really be nice to be able to get rid of some of my creepy css (which is mostly creepy because it is calculated from a 15 inch screen hoping it works as well on other screens :) and not because code would have become creepy )
    Lille -
    I found that in the options available when you edit the options for each viewing style.

> Open a gallery.
    > Customize, Content and design
    > Hover over gallery content and click the wrench ON "ALL GALLERIES".
    > Choose the gallery style
    > Select and change "info text alignment"

--- Denise
    edited December 10, 2015
    Denise beat me to it -- thanks!
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2015
    Thanks Denise and leftquark :)
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2015
    Once again thank you for fixing bugs related to pinning of sections.
    edited December 11, 2015
    Editing the caption or keyword every time I type an "i" the photo info box pops up.
    Give me back my keyboard.
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2015
    Editing the caption or keyword every time I type an "i" the photo info box pops up.
    Give me back my keyboard.

OUCH! I just tried editing a caption in the lightbox that involved typing an i and, yup, up popped the info box. That bug needs to be squashed fast.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
    edited December 11, 2015
    OUCH! I just tried editing a caption in the lightbox that involved typing an i and, yup, up popped the info box. That bug needs to be squashed fast.
    Looks like they fixed it.clap.gif
    edited December 13, 2015

We got a little over-zealous with the new Info panel and wanted to add a keyboard shortcut ... we removed the keyboard shortcut for now and we'll add it back in soon, without that nasty little weevil.
    dGrin Afficionado