Options

Quick Settings

mikelandwehrmikelandwehr Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited January 8, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
Let's assume that I have defined three Quick Settings, for Gallery Type A, Gallery Type B, and Gallery Type C. Assume that I have 65 galleries, and that I've applied Gallery Type A to 15 galleries, Gallery Type B to 20 galleries, and Gallery Type C to 30 galleries. Now, assume I want to change one setting (e.g. turn Shopping Cart on) for all the galleries in the Gallery Type C group. What is the procedure for changing that one setting for that group of 30 galleries.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2015
    Quick Settings is a one shot deal. One gallery at a time.
    You have to go to Organizer to change settings for multiple galleries. But it's by one folder at a time.
    In Organizer select a folder
    highlight the galleries you want to change settings. "Select All" if appropriate. Don't highlight pages or sub-folders or it won't work.
    Click Settings at top.
    it will open a gallery settings box
    check the box in front of each setting and change toggle on right.
    It will change those checked settings for all your selected galleries.
    Select another folder and repeat.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    mikelandwehrmikelandwehr Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2015
    Quick Settings
    Allen wrote: »
    Quick Settings is a one shot deal. One gallery at a time.
    You have to go to Organizer to change settings for multiple galleries. But it's by one folder at a time.
    In Organizer select a folder
    highlight the galleries you want to change settings. "Select All" if appropriate. Don't highlight pages or sub-folders or it won't work.
    Click Settings at top.
    it will open a gallery settings box
    check the box in front of each setting and change toggle on right.
    It will change those checked settings for all your selected galleries.
    Select another folder and repeat.

Thanks, Allen, for your succinct answer to my question. I really appreciate it. I've read some of the SmugMug material which I interpreted as suggestions that a QuickSetting could be applied to a large number of galleries with a couple of key strokes. I guess that would be true if all the galleries were in the same folder. However, I manage a website for a camera club, where I post winning images from various competitions, and have 167 galleries in 67 folders. I'm preparing to change one parameter for some of those galleries, and will now have to modify that parameter for all the galleries in 54 folders. And, I know that this won't be the last time that I'll want to make this kind of change. SmugMug already has a table of all my QuickSettings. I must say it is incomprehensible to me why they don't link the QuickSetting entries to the Galleries, and allow changes to the QuickSettings that will affect all Galleries linked to the QuickSetting. I'm sure that I'm not the first to bring this up! I believe that capability existed in the legacy version of SmugMug.

Mike
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2016
    I second this: SM does a find job of applying the security parts of a quick setting by changing it at a folder and higher levels; why not have the other gallery settings be handled the same way as the inherited security stuff?
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited January 3, 2016
    synature wrote: »
    I second this: SM does a find job of applying the security parts of a quick setting by changing it at a folder and higher levels; why not have the other gallery settings be handled the same way as the inherited security stuff?
    Gallery setting changes can be applied to multiple galleries at a time. It's just quick settings that are a one-time application; quick settings are only used when creating a gallery.

If you're looking to change settings for more than one gallery, see How do I change settings for multiple galleries at once?.

--- Denise
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2016
    Gallery setting changes can be applied to multiple galleries at a time. It's just quick settings that are a one-time application; quick settings are only used when creating a gallery.

If you're looking to change settings for more than one gallery, see How do I change settings for multiple galleries at once?.

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise. I had found that thread and have been using that technique, but it strikes me as a kludge, probably a kludge required by the database design. I hope the next major revision of SM focuses on a redesign of the database so that it would be easy to do things like cascading a gallery display property change for all galleries in a folder tree or creating folder, gallery and page templates. From what I've seen in the interface, the database is probably not even close to normalized. Apparently many of the user assigned properties of galleries, folders and pages are stored directly in the gallery, folder or page tables and not in separate user settings tables with data integrity linkages.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    cdnatdgcdnatdg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2016
    But I just updated to the latest release and am seeing a bug: If I Select All, using the shift key or with the Select All button, the Settings button grays out. It comes back if I deselect one of my galleries, but now I have to do the work twice.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2016
    cdnatdg wrote: »
    But I just updated to the latest release and am seeing a bug: If I Select All, using the shift key or with the Select All button, the Settings button grays out. It comes back if I deselect one of my galleries, but now I have to do the work twice.
    It will do that if there is a sub-folder or page in the selection of "all". Unselect those.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog