RAW files - CR2 etc

Bob1952Bob1952 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 23, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I just tried uploading my first collection of photographs to SmugMug. It rejected all the .CR2 files as unrecognized. Does this mean that SmugMug will not archive any raw files, or just a few formats?
Deal breaker!

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2016
  • Bob1952Bob1952 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Correct. ...

I was hoping to find cloud storage for my camera originals, which are mainly in raw formats. Is there a good alternative to Smugmug that you can recommend?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 21, 2016
    Bob1952 wrote: »
    I was hoping to find cloud storage for my camera originals, which are mainly in raw formats. Is there a good alternative to Smugmug that you can recommend?
    You're looking for a backup location for those files? I use CrashPlan and have been very happy with it. I posted a review of it after I started using it back in 2013, click to read product review :: CrashPlan+.

--- Denise
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2016

Smugmug used to offer such a feature but I think decommissioned it.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, their cloud drive is free for photographs (not videos though) and does recognize raw, at least Nikon raw, I assume Canon as photographs. Unlimited. But awkward to use as a backup in some fashion, it's more intended as live storage, smartphone uploads, etc. However some vendors (Goodsync is one) are providing backup software that supports it.

Amazon S3 and Glacier storage works great, but is priced by the gigabyte (Glacier is very reasonable though). You need a backup program (I like Cloudberry for that - doesn't work with the Cloud Drive though).

The above are two that are storage only and you figure out how to manage it. Then there are a bazillion other plans such as mentioned above that sell the whole thing combined. You'll need to look at each and price for your situation, but also take them all with a grain of salt - the cheap/free ones all have some gimmick somewhere, and the "unlimited for one price" ones tend to also have a catch, like throttling your upload speeds if you actually try to store a lot there.

Smugmug, in my opinion, is about sharing and sales, is not really a backup medium even for JPG's. I mean it has a copy of them, sure, but it's not oriented as a backup. (That's a personal opinion, I have no connection with them other than as a customer).
    edited February 22, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Smugmug, in my opinion, is about sharing and sales, is not really a backup medium even for JPG's.

Thanks!

I've heard great things about Smugmug, but what happens when I post photos of a family occasion, and someone else wants to post her photos as well? Does she have to be a (paid) member of Smugmug?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 23, 2016
    ... what happens when I post photos of a family occasion, and someone else wants to post her photos as well? Does she have to be a (paid) member of Smugmug?
    You can allow guest uploads to your galleries.

See help page Can guests upload photos to my site?

--- Denise
    edited February 23, 2016
    Thank you, Ferguson and Denise. Very illuminating answers.

Bob C