Options

Folders, Galleries, and Pages content block sort

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited July 1, 2016 in Bug Reporting
Looks like "sort by organizer position" on folders, galleries, and pages content blocks doesn't work correctly. Sort options in the organizer are limited to begin with, requiring folders to be first, then galleries, then pages. So there's no way to use the organizer to put a page before a folder. But the sort order of the content block seems to be unrelated to organizer position.

Can anyone confirm that "folders, galleries, and pages" content blocks cannot be properly sorted by organizer position?

Dave

Comments

• Options
    martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Looks like "sort by organizer position" on folders, galleries, and pages content blocks doesn't work correctly. Sort options in the organizer are limited to begin with, requiring folders to be first, then galleries, then pages. So there's no way to use the organizer to put a page before a folder. But the sort order of the content block seems to be unrelated to organizer position.

Can anyone confirm that "folders, galleries, and pages" content blocks cannot be properly sorted by organizer position?

Dave

That's correct last I checked. Reported as soon as the 'new smugmug' went live. Shame they can't fix these small things that annoy people.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2014

Dave
    The only thing I can think of is check is make sure the "folders, galleries, and pages" content block is
    set to sort by organizer.

For any content block if you are using organizer to sort, the content block has to be set to allow the
    organizer sort otherwise the block settings will override organizer.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is check is make sure the "folders, galleries, and pages" content block is
    set to sort by organizer.

For any content block if you are using organizer to sort, the content block has to be set to allow the
    organizer sort otherwise the block settings will override organizer.

Yup, the issue is that in the organizer, it's not possible to put a page in front of a gallery or a gallery in front of a folder. I just want to have folders, galleries, and pages mixed together and sorted as I want, but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Dave
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    Yup, the issue is that in the organizer, it's not possible to put a page in front of a gallery or a gallery in front of a folder. I just want to have folders, galleries, and pages mixed together and sorted as I want, but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Dave
    Then your only chose is select "items | choose" and choose them in the order you want. But you'll have
    to reselect when adding new or reordering.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    I've been having several folders/galleries not matching the order selected in organizer despite the content block sort by being set to organizer position.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Can you send us a link to your site and let us know what is not matching the sort selected so we can take a look please?
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2014
    I've been having several folders/galleries not matching the order selected in organizer despite the content block sort by being set to organizer position.
    For content boxes go into its settings and set sort to "organizer position". Otherwise it will
    override the organizer.

Click wrench on box see display tab. > Sort by > organizer position
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    For content boxes go into its settings and set sort to "organizer position". Otherwise it will
    override the organizer.

Click wrench on box see display tab. > Sort by > organizer position

Even with the organizer and content box settings being the same, the odd bug still occurs.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2014
    Teach wrote: »
    Can you send us a link to your site and let us know what is not matching the sort selected so we can take a look please?

For example, organizer is set to manual and the content block set to organizer position:

http://www.soulgazephotography.com/Galleries/Sales/Products

sm1-XL.jpg
    sm2-X2.jpg

• Options
    JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Can you please let us know what folders/galleries are not sorting by organizer position, so that we can look into this further for you.
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    I took a look at this and this is currently a bug with the Folders, Galleries & Pages content block not following the "By Organizer Position" settings. As a work around, you can use a separate content block for each and it should follow then. This would mean adding a Folders block, Galleries block and a Pages block separately.
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2014
    Rather then adding all the boxes, use "pages | choose" for "Select From". Choose in the order you
    want, they can't be further sorted but only repicked. Items can be picked in any order you want.
  • Options
    icdvalicdval Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2015
    I think I found a way to sort by name, just add the items you want plus one more extra item... save the component... reedit the component, and delete the extra item... when you save the component (close the config windows) all the items will be in asc alph order.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2016
    Any update on this bug being squashed?

Dave
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 14, 2016
    It's still on our radar. The issue comes down to how the Picker and the Organizer were built and fixing the bug is fairly intensive. We have bigger plans for improving both of those tools and the best time to fix the bug is when we're doing that. There's one email that's sat in my inbox since pretty much the day I started, and it's this topic. I won't be forgetting about it ;)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    jrwillsjrwills Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2016
    I have manually sorted folders displaying by "Organizer Position"
    wings.gifThis is weird but I accidentally got the folders to display as I manually sorted them in organizer. I had tried many times before and gave up as it wouldn't work.

I created a Folders block on my page with "Galleries I Choose" and added three folders, "Alabama, Florida, Mississippi" and then Sort By "Organizer Position"

I then did the same thing in a second block and selected the remainder of my folders but decided it looked weird to have the two blocks.

So I changed the second block to "Current Location" leaving the Sort By as "Organizer Position" and all the folders appeared in order as I sorted them manually in organizer.

The steps seem to be:
    1. Select From: "Galleries I Choose"
    2. Sort By: "Organizer Position"
    3. Change Select From: to "Current Location"

ne_nau.gif I don't have a clue why this worked and it might not work again. I don't know if it will remain when I add something or if I resort. For the moment I'm going to leave it alone if this is of any interest or help.

Also would be good for someone else to try this to see if it is some kind of temporary fluke or an accidental work around.

http://www.evendozen.com/Evendozen-Galleries