The gang

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited September 12, 2016 in People
untitled%20shoot-7534-Edit-X2.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 26, 2016
    I like the subdued tones. First thing I noticed is that three of them are wearing sunglasses, and three of them are not. That fact seems to tear apart whatever cohesiveness the six of them might have had. All have jackets, pants and boots - so the wardrobes sort of match. Is the background real or PS?

What is the story behind the photograph? Is it for fashion, a music album cover, for an ad?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    TXS, Its a poster in the making for a motorbike store, where they sell clothing for bikers. Its a wall size picture. The background is real, taken with the sun in the back at 1900Hrs. It is in fact quicksand, used for bricks. Now its solid and yes it looks strange. But that is what it is. The shop wanted something different.
    TXS for the comments.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2016
    I like everything about it except for the sun...I find that very distracting.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2016
    My only nitpick from this outstanding shot is the one guy who looks to be hiding behind the woman on the left. If this is his personality then it goes with the pic. I start to notice these things more in my group shots now since a client complained about her son's face being partially hidden in a shot like this.

Otherwise I really like the shot. We are competing more and more with camera phones, not just other photographers. A camera phone can't make this kind of shot.
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2016
    jonh68 wrote: »
    We are competing more and more with camera phones, not just other photographers. A camera phone can't make this kind of shot.

Thanks John and others, as to the camera phones..... that is not even a compete..... it is just another style. For commercial work , those phones are far from the mid format camera's. Megapixels is one thing, but just one factor. It's the dynamic range. (15 F stops on an IQ-100) versus 7 -8 on the best cameraphone. Resolution of lines by the lens.... lets face it that is not even worth to think about, optics of a 600 Dollar smart phone, the size of the tip of a pen versus a full scale multiple lens, and at last the colordepth 16 bits versus 8 or even 12 .....

That is why there is nothing to compete against, however for snapshots that is another story.....To me , there is room for both. High quality technical work and snapshot photography....based only on content.

The future will tell......
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2016
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Thanks John and others, as to the camera phones..... that is not even a compete..... it is just another style. For commercial work , those phones are far from the mid format camera's. Megapixels is one thing, but just one factor. It's the dynamic range. (15 F stops on an IQ-100) versus 7 -8 on the best cameraphone. Resolution of lines by the lens.... lets face it that is not even worth to think about, optics of a 600 Dollar smart phone, the size of the tip of a pen versus a full scale multiple lens, and at last the colordepth 16 bits versus 8 or even 12 .....

That is why there is nothing to compete against, however for snapshots that is another story.....To me , there is room for both. High quality technical work and snapshot photography....based only on content.

The future will tell......

I guess my point isn't so much the technical aspects of the camera vs phone, it's more setting up the shot and executing it. A camera phone and even having a great camera cannot get this kind of shot.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2016
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    ... Resolution of lines by the lens.... lets face it that is not even worth to think about, optics of a 600 Dollar smart phone, the size of the tip of a pen versus a full scale multiple lens, ... QUOTE]

Makes me wonder about resolving power of top quality microscope lenses - which are also small in diameter.
    ?

No idea whether 'Mr Half-face' is by design (or not) - but, on balance, it adds, rather than subtracts, imo.

pp
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2016
    The depth of field is so interesting and pulls me right into the shot. It is very well thought out and done completely right. I started to comment before reading who the client was and why they wanted it. This explains why the marcom dept didn't lose their minds with one model being hidden and another one close to being half hidden.

Even with that, I don't see how the head and leg of the one model adds to this shot at all. He could be cloned out and never missed.
    Steve

Website
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2016
    looks a wee too photochopped to me. :|
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • The LeaderThe Leader Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2016
    The middle guy is not looking in the same direction as the others. Almost like there is another photographer on the side. Other than that is a great picture. If it went on a poster no one would probably notice anything wrong.