Senior Session

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited October 11, 2016 in People
This is from a session last weekend--Alexus is beautiful! I have a few additional senior sessions lined up; so I'm looking for feedback, suggestions for improvement, hints and suggestions, etc. Thank you!
16August_untitled_093-L.jpg

16August_untitled_043-L.jpg

16August_untitled_107-L.jpg

16August_untitled_102-L.jpg

16August_untitled_137-L.jpg

16August_untitled_0202-L.jpg

16August_untitled_003bw-L.jpg

16August_untitled_041-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• DKellyCDKellyC Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2016
    Watch where you are cropping on the body... I am sure others will chime in with more details. Not a fan of #6.
  • The LeaderThe Leader Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2016
    They are all very nice. I don't mind tight cropping but number 1 just missing the bottom of her feet.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 26, 2016
    I'll comment on #6. Limbs going every which way. Not a keeper no matter how it might be cropped.

#7 works well as a serious shot; well cropped and a good comp. and good DOF too.

#2 and #3 aren't working for me - pose for 2 and over-contemplative look for 3.

#4 is the winner. Might take off some from each side.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2016
    Thank you for these comments...I have another session tonight, and will try to remember all posing and cropping suggestions!
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2016
    I like the series you have going here, but I felt like you held back from what you are capable of. I'm not going to give you standard critique advice on poses or compositions. Go into your next session 100% confident and don't be afraid to do something different or out of the ordinary. Don't hold back, and make your subject as confident as your own abilities as a photographer and artist. You have some great photographs, but this session didn't hit the mark as much for me. I'm sure your client will be thrilled nonetheless, but for your own self just get into that next shoot knowing you can create some serious photo magic. Go in with that mindset on your A-game and I guarantee you you'll knock that session out of the park. Favorite ones from this set are 4 and 7.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited August 31, 2016
    I like the series you have going here, but I felt like you held back from what you are capable of. I'm not going to give you standard critique advice on poses or compositions. Go into your next session 100% confident and don't be afraid to do something different or out of the ordinary. Don't hold back, and make your subject as confident as your own abilities as a photographer and artist. You have some great photographs, but this session didn't hit the mark as much for me. I'm sure your client will be thrilled nonetheless, but for your own self just get into that next shoot knowing you can create some serious photo magic. Go in with that mindset on your A-game and I guarantee you you'll knock that session out of the park. Favorite ones from this set are 4 and 7.

Mighty kind words, Michaelglenn....I do get really nervous before a shoot--confidence is something I definitely have to work on. Thanks for your encouragement!
    Kate
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2016
    So, seniors is somewhere that I struggle with posing every time, but really pay attention to things like direction of hair, hands, crop and composition. Here is my input:

1: She looks bored. No connection or meaning in this shot except that she is bored. Maybe just a simple glance up keeping her face where it is and just moving hers to on camera would have done wonders. If you are looking to do the "look away" shot you have to really be mindful of composition.

2: I like this one. Good composition, color and lighting. Things to watch for are her feet and hands/wrist. Have her extend her arms a little more passed each other so it allows her hand to fall. Also, I would suggest turning her left foot in.

3: I like this one as well. Color and light are great, but the crop is off. It appears she was sitting because I can see what appears to be her jeans.

4: I like this one and its cute. Light is good and I like the warmth you added. One thing to always keep in mind of hands is to not always be symmetrical. Either have one hand up and one hand down, or put the hands at slightly different levels so that it doesn't like so posey posery.

5: This is a good one as well in terms of light and color. Watch the hands. Hand close to her face looks stiff, so remind her of soft hands. Hand on the grown looks awkward. Put it across her lap or move it back slightly and have her lean on it.

6: Least favorite as I would chuck this one sorry.

7: I like this one. Only suggesting is google feminine hands... aka don't tuck a female's fingers behind her arm. It makes the arm appear larger and more masculine.

8: Light and color is good, but for my the crop/composition is off.

Honestly these are light years ahead of where I was maybe even as close as a year ago, but just take these with a grain of salt as its simply my opinion and we know what they say about opinions.
    edited September 1, 2016
    So, seniors is somewhere that I struggle with posing every time, but really pay attention to things like direction of hair, hands, crop and composition. Here is my input:

1: She looks bored. No connection or meaning in this shot except that she is bored. Maybe just a simple glance up keeping her face where it is and just moving hers to on camera would have done wonders. If you are looking to do the "look away" shot you have to really be mindful of composition.

2: I like this one. Good composition, color and lighting. Things to watch for are her feet and hands/wrist. Have her extend her arms a little more passed each other so it allows her hand to fall. Also, I would suggest turning her left foot in.

3: I like this one as well. Color and light are great, but the crop is off. It appears she was sitting because I can see what appears to be her jeans.

4: I like this one and its cute. Light is good and I like the warmth you added. One thing to always keep in mind of hands is to not always be symmetrical. Either have one hand up and one hand down, or put the hands at slightly different levels so that it doesn't like so posey posery.

5: This is a good one as well in terms of light and color. Watch the hands. Hand close to her face looks stiff, so remind her of soft hands. Hand on the grown looks awkward. Put it across her lap or move it back slightly and have her lean on it.

6: Least favorite as I would chuck this one sorry.

7: I like this one. Only suggesting is google feminine hands... aka don't tuck a female's fingers behind her arm. It makes the arm appear larger and more masculine.

8: Light and color is good, but for my the crop/composition is off.

Honestly these are light years ahead of where I was maybe even as close as a year ago, but just take these with a grain of salt as its simply my opinion and we know what they say about opinions.

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to look so closely at each photo....definitely I didn't take enough time to perfect each pose prior to snapping the shutter. You made really helpful comments!
    Kate
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2016
    I'm not going to go over the same comments but offer a slightly different suggestion. Looking through these images and the portrait shots on your website, you have a ton of generic canned poses. Sure there is a reason why these canned poses have been around for decades, but times change and most of these young adults are far more savvy than kids in the past.

The hands on the chin or near the face scream "hey mommy look at me, I'm pretty". You seem to pull that with the guys also and yes some parents love that look so you'll always throw in some for the package, but think about the images that these kids see every day in the real world.

You'll never see models or celebrities giving the "look at me mommy" pose.

Think album poses, magazine cover poses, red carpet poses that these kids see every single day of their life. When they are posed and shot like celebrities, think of how fast they'll be sharing those photos with friends.

You want to provide at least a few non canned shots that separate your images from every other senior portrait photographer around you. Make these kids look like super stars and they'll never stop talking about it.

Keep in mind that photography at it's core is fantasy, photographers create the images that the world wants to see, let's these kids live that fantasy for a moment and you'll be shocked at how much they respond. Don't treat it like an every day session, make these kids feel like they're on the set of their own model shoot.

Think classy, but pose them creatively and like they're special.
    Steve

Website
    edited September 1, 2016
    I'm not going to go over the same comments but offer a slightly different suggestion. Looking through these images and the portrait shots on your website, you have a ton of generic canned poses. Sure there is a reason why these canned poses have been around for decades, but times change and most of these young adults are far more savvy than kids in the past.

The hands on the chin or near the face scream "hey mommy look at me, I'm pretty". You seem to pull that with the guys also and yes some parents love that look so you'll always throw in some for the package, but think about the images that these kids see every day in the real world.

You'll never see models or celebrities giving the "look at me mommy" pose.

Think album poses, magazine cover poses, red carpet poses that these kids see every single day of their life. When they are posed and shot like celebrities, think of how fast they'll be sharing those photos with friends.

You want to provide at least a few non canned shots that separate your images from every other senior portrait photographer around you. Make these kids look like super stars and they'll never stop talking about it.

Keep in mind that photography at it's core is fantasy, photographers create the images that the world wants to see, let's these kids live that fantasy for a moment and you'll be shocked at how much they respond. Don't treat it like an every day session, make these kids feel like they're on the set of their own model shoot.

Think classy, but pose them creatively and like they're special.

Hmmm, something to think about for sure. I've been so concerned with just getting SOMETHING. I'll certainly give posing some thought and have a plan for my next shoot. THANK YOU for these suggestions--I really appreciate it!
    Kate
  • halconhalcon Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2016
    I don't think the out of focus stuff works in the first one but the rest are quite nice.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2016
    First off it appears to me that she's a bit shy so that may be why these poses or "looks" appear slightly contrived for lack of a better word. It's difficult to direct young people about what to do with their hands, arms and legs when they are a bit nervous over a shoot.

I'm not going to comment on the technical aspects of the photos because you have that down really well and with a second shoot you will get far better images now that the ice has been broken.

Teens look most natural when they are doing teen "things" so often times I will break the ice with those types of scenarios as well as shooting from a slightly higher angle to emulate the selfie angle. Nine times out of ten this method will loosen up a nervous teen.
    Mix that with good conversation and you'll be getting more connected pics in short time.
    Of course when the opportunity comes be creative and have them try different poses at your suggestion.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 11, 2016
    1, 2, 3 4, and 7 are winners for me. I like the OOF foreground vegetation in #1. #2 is perfect. #3 would be nice but the hair touch looks a bit gratuitous there. her nails are great though. I'm totally fine with the symmetric hands in #4. It's a great shot in great light. #5 would have nailed it, but the hand looks like she's checking her pulse. 7 is good, 8 not so much.
    edited October 11, 2016
    halcon wrote: »
    I don't think the out of focus stuff works in the first one but the rest are quite nice.

Thank you!
    Kate
    edited October 11, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    1, 2, 3 4, and 7 are winners for me. I like the OOF foreground vegetation in #1. #2 is perfect. #3 would be nice but the hair touch looks a bit gratuitous there. her nails are great though. I'm totally fine with the symmetric hands in #4. It's a great shot in great light. #5 would have nailed it, but the hand looks like she's checking her pulse. 7 is good, 8 not so much.

thank you for your thoughtful comments, kdog!
    Kate
    edited October 11, 2016
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    First off it appears to me that she's a bit shy so that may be why these poses or "looks" appear slightly contrived for lack of a better word. It's difficult to direct young people about what to do with their hands, arms and legs when they are a bit nervous over a shoot.

I'm not going to comment on the technical aspects of the photos because you have that down really well and with a second shoot you will get far better images now that the ice has been broken.

Teens look most natural when they are doing teen "things" so often times I will break the ice with those types of scenarios as well as shooting from a slightly higher angle to emulate the selfie angle. Nine times out of ten this method will loosen up a nervous teen.
    Mix that with good conversation and you'll be getting more connected pics in short time.
    Of course when the opportunity comes be creative and have them try different poses at your suggestion.

Thank you...something to consider, for sure!
    Kate