Trying to figure out how to crop--or if to

double_entendredouble_entendre Gene pool chlorinatorPosts: 100Registered Users Major grins

Trying to figure out how to--or if to--crop this photo. I'm mostly happy with it--exposure is slightly iffy, but pretty OK, I think. Curious to hear what you all think.

Uncropped:

Cropped:

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,996Administrators moderator
    edited August 5, 2018

On the top: I think you need a little more room above the trees on the right for some sky room.
    On the left: A wee bit more room on the left (I'd crop the left side immediately to the right of the big rock on the horizon to let the image trail off a bit).
    On the right: It looks OK.
    The bottom: Also looks OK to me.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 18,534Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

FWIW, I prefer it uncropped. The rocks on the right are too dominant in the cropped version, making it a little claustrophobic for me. It also loses most of the waves, which are nice.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MAPosts: 11,918Super Moderators moderator
    edited August 5, 2018

I also prefer the uncropped version. The cropped version loses the sense of scene (for me).

• sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 1,972Registered Users Major grins

I'm with RIchard and Denise - the uncropped version is my preference. I find the exposure a tad on the dark side.

If I cropped it any, I would consider taking out just a bit of the right side and those rocks in the bottom foreground so that the crop has the same proportions but a bit less of the heavy rocks on the right side. Just a thought, not sure if it will work.

• slpollettslpollett Major grins Posts: 1,031Registered Users Major grins

Of the two you posted, I prefer the uncropped. If I were going to crop this photo, I think I would take a little off the right instead of the left. I don't think you would lose much by cropping from the right near that dip in the tree line, but still wouldn't crop at all unless I needed to do so for printing.

Sherry P.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Major grins In the sticks, NE of SeattlePosts: 986Registered Users Major grins

Uncropped!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Stuttgart, GermanyPosts: 130Registered Users Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    If I cropped it any, I would consider taking out just a bit of the right side and those rocks in the bottom foreground so that the crop has the same proportions but a bit less of the heavy rocks on the right side. Just a thought, not sure if it will work.

I agree, proportionally cropped from the right bottom just that the bottom rocks in the foreground disappear - I think that could work. I think it would remove a little bit of distraction from the foreground.

Otherwise, this is a great photo as-is in the uncropped version!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• double_entendredouble_entendre Gene pool chlorinator Posts: 100Registered Users Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    I'm with RIchard and Denise - the uncropped version is my preference. I find the exposure a tad on the dark side.

Yeah, I’m conflicted about that. I’m still a Lightroom and Photoshop neophyte using an ancient, uncalibrated laptop. (Excuses, excuses....) A bit lighter might be the answer. I’ll fiddle.

@kurzvorzwoelf said:

@sarasphotos said:

I agree, proportionally cropped from the right bottom just that the bottom rocks in the foreground disappear - I think that could work. I think it would remove a little bit of distraction from the foreground.

Otherwise, this is a great photo as-is in the uncropped version!

Very good point on the foreground rocks. Now that you point them out it’s obvious. Thank you very much. :)