Getting Into Portrait Photography.

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited October 23, 2018 in People

I have been away from this forum for a long time. I have recently getting the hankering to get back into photography. A few years ago, I used to shoot sports as a serious hobby. Now that my daughter no longer plays sports, I have moved on to shooting landscape, and now trying my hand a portrait.
Here is one of my first shots. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Regards,
Ron A.

Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2018

Watch the glare in the glasses. The bra strap in the second one. I will let others chime in on the rest.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

I'm not a people shooter, but the 'mantra' that I generally try to have in mind and essentially sums up my approach was seen in this forum* some time ago.

Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

For me, the background is way too busy in both shots - ie an 'eye pull'

pp

• by Zoomer.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins

@KellyC said:
    Watch the glare in the glasses. The bra strap in the second one. I will let others chime in on the rest.

Good Catch on the bra strap. I completely overlooked it.

Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins

@puzzledpaul said:
    I'm not a people shooter, but the 'mantra' that I generally try to have in mind and essentially sums up my approach was seen in this forum* some time ago.

Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

For me, the background is way too busy in both shots - ie an 'eye pull'

pp

• by Zoomer.

Thank you for the insight.

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

2. Get the subjects away from the wall. Try to get some separation from the background -- either through bokeh or different lighting conditions in the background.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

I always try and capture the persons personality when doing Portraits . , so these ladies been in the armed forces , I would have tried to show them near , or by tools of their trade , Even if its a reflection of plane or tank.
    or maybe even try an Informal / formal portrait.. Imagine a photo from above , the two looking up grinning while they are marching as if in Parde. , Or both ladies throwing paper airplanes , fun , informal but not just a plane portrait , something that shows them as been fun , and their jobs as they have on the uniforms.

• Third_SonThird_Son Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    As others have stated, getting the ladies away from the wall will help with the composition....