Better smart gallery rules...

TheoGeekTheoGeek Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins

I have run into an issue that would be easily handled if smart gallery rules were smarter. I'd like to be able to group rules like this for one smart gallery:

(Gallery A AND Keyword X) OR (Gallery B AND Keyword Y)

Currently, AND and OR are applied to all rules at the same time.

My use case? I have a bunch of Cross Country pictures that are taken by me and also a few other parents. I have the parents upload their pics to a separate gallery so I can keep them separate. I want to display pictures from my gallery and the guest gallery.

The smart gallery rule that should be applied would be: (My_Gallery AND Keywords: MeetName, Boys) OR (Guest_Gallery AND Keywords: Boys), but the smart gallery rules do not allow this. It only allows ALL or ANY applied to EVERY rule at the same time.

Using the rules

1) My_Gallery
2) Guest_Gallery
3) Keyword: Boys

ANY results in every picture from both galleries
ALL results in NO picture from either gallery

regardless of Keyword

My solution for now is cumbersome. I need to create many more smart galleries and combine them into another smart gallery.

Being able to group smart rules would be awesome!

Thanks!

Comments

• annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee

Theo, let me explain how smart rules work:

1. "ALL" as a matching method means that each image needs to match all of the "include" rules AND all of the "exclude" rules in order to be included in the gallery.

2. "ANY" matching rule starts with what is included, then whittles that down using the exclude rules.

If you are seeing something different, please give us the link to the gallery in question; you can also email us at help (at) smugmug.com if you don't want to share a link here, and we will have a look.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • TheoGeekTheoGeek Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I got that. What I want to do is nest rules.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, there is no way to create this rule:

Without doing this:

1) Create smart gallery AX = Gallery A AND Keyword X
    2) Create smart gallery BY = Gallery B AND Keyword Y
    3) Create the desired smart gallery = AX OR BY

In other words, let's say I have these rules defined for a gallery:

Rule1: Gallery A
    Rule2: Keyword X
    Rule3: Gallery B
    Rule4: Keyword Y

...to do what I want (without creating multiple smart galleries), I'd like to be able to do the following:

ANY(ALL(Rule1, Rule2), ALL(Rule3, Rule4))

Which gets me the photos I want.

I love the smart gallery capability, but not being able to nest rules or parenthesize them is pretty limiting sometimes.

• kevmacmillskevmacmills Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    To add to this request: I'd like to see more "dynamic" date ranges for smart album rules. For example: "[Include] [My Photos] [Date] [Taken] [Within]..." and then have options for things like [the past X days], [the past year], etc. Right now, the only choice is to specify a beginning and end date. That's great for creating a smart album for a certain year, season, etc. But a dynamic range would allow for creating the "memories" that other services like Facebook and Google Photos give you.
  • TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins

After years of using SM I just tried to create my first smart gallery and was suprised to learn that smart rules can't be applied to folders. I have my galleries organized by general topic (e.g., Travel, Family, etc.). For each folder I would like to have a "Favorites" gallery where I would display all 5 star photos from its containing folder. So within the "Travel" folder there would be a "Favorite Travel Photos" gallery with favorites from my 20 or so travel galleries. I also agree with the other comments in this thread - it would be great if smart galleries were smarter.

Jerry

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2019

If you have to tag each picked photo with a "5 star" you could just as easiely add that as a keyword to each photo to create smart gallery from.
    keyword = "travel Favorites" or "family Favorites"
    Adding and deleting KW's from photos is very simple.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • BeautifulWorldBeautifulWorld Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins

Hi @TheoGeek

Is not possible to add Keyword X to photos in Gallery B or Keyword Y to Gallery A?

@TheoGeek said:
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I got that. What I want to do is nest rules.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, there is no way to create this rule:

Without doing this:

1) Create smart gallery AX = Gallery A AND Keyword X
    2) Create smart gallery BY = Gallery B AND Keyword Y
    3) Create the desired smart gallery = AX OR BY

In other words, let's say I have these rules defined for a gallery:

Rule1: Gallery A
    Rule2: Keyword X
    Rule3: Gallery B
    Rule4: Keyword Y

...to do what I want (without creating multiple smart galleries), I'd like to be able to do the following:

ANY(ALL(Rule1, Rule2), ALL(Rule3, Rule4))

Which gets me the photos I want.

I love the smart gallery capability, but not being able to nest rules or parenthesize them is pretty limiting sometimes.