Island of Burano

LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins

Visited the fishing village of Burano, about an hour by boat from Venice this summer. While famous of the quality of the lace made here, what makes it a favorite of photographers are the brightly colored houses all around the island.

The tradition of painting houses in such bright colors is to easily demarcate the properties, though a popular legend is that this was done due to the island's past as a fishing village where the bright colors made it easier for returning fishermen to find their homes in the thick fog of the lagoon.

Tourism is the main industry today, but the island has only one hotel, so tourists make the day trip from Venice. It is crowded during the tourist season, but I went there towards the end of the day and go the place mostly to myself.

The typical Burano's houses are mainly squared-shaped and are divided into two or three floors. At the low ground there is the kitchen, the breakfast nook and the toilet. At the next floors there are the bedrooms. There are currently around 2000 to 3000 residents in this island.

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

these are so lovely, stunning colors

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

A beautiful series of images!! Brilliant colors. Nicely presented, thank you for sharing these!!

• LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins

@Awais Yaqub said:
    these are so lovely, stunning colors

Thank you

• LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins

@El Gato said:
    A beautiful series of images!! Brilliant colors. Nicely presented, thank you for sharing these!!

Thank you

• captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins

Love these, colors really stand out and of course I'm a sucker for pics with boats in them :)

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

cool pics. so colorful. thanks for sharing

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Beautiful work. I find the procedure of protecting the boats from rubbing on the " docks " very interesting.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Love the colors.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata