Canon EOS R5 Professional Mirrorless Camera

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

The Next Generation: Canon Announces The Development Of The Company’s Most Advanced Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera Ever – The EOS R5

https://usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/20200212-eos/20200212-eos
The Company will Also Develop Seven RF Lenses and Two RF Lens Extenders in 2020

MELVILLE, NY, February 12, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc., is developing the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera. The camera will feature a newly designed CMOS sensor and new image processor, along with new state-of-the-art optical technologies the company has been able to cultivate through its long history of groundbreaking camera and digital imaging solutions development. In addition, Canon plans to release seven RF lenses and two RF lens extenders that are currently in development. These new photography tools will help to continue to strengthen the EOS R system and cement the RF mount as an industry leader.

“Today’s announcement comes as a direct result of the tireless effort of Canon engineers who have been tasked with developing the next generation of Canon EOS R camera and RF lenses to help elevate the popular system that was announced in 2018,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “In developing the new camera, Canon listened to extensive user-feedback from a variety of photographers. The outcome is a camera and lenses that will delight a variety of shooters and further helps to demonstrate Canon’s commitment to full-frame mirrorless cameras and lenses.”

The EOS R System was initially developed to provide engineers with the ability to design lenses that were thought to be impossible to create previously. The wide lens mount diameter, shorter back focus, and high-speed system for transmitting data between camera and lens have resulted in an imaging system that delivers higher image quality and greater ease-of-use than ever before.

The new full-frame mirrorless camera currently under development will fully leverage the advantages of the EOS R System, helping to produce a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording. Furthermore, the camera will provide photographers with more efficient workflows thanks to improved transmission functionality, operability and reliability. These enhancements, along with many others, will help to further elevate and solidify the EOS Series concept of “Speed, Comfort and High-Image-Quality.”

Canon’s EOS R5, the first of the next generation of full-frame mirrorless cameras planned for EOS R System, will include a newly developed CMOS sensor. The new sensor will enable enhanced features such as high-speed continuous shooting up to approximately 20 frames-per-second (FPS) when using the silent shutter and up to approximately 12 FPS when using the mechanical shutter – A feature professional sports and wildlife photographers will find to be extremely impactful on their ability to capture fast-moving subjects. From a video perspective, the camera’s 8K video capture capability will prepare videographers for the future of movie-making- capturing 8K footage today allows for even higher-quality 4K productions in addition to the ability to extract high-resolution still images from the video footage. The EOS R5 will be the first Canon camera equipped with IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) and when used in conjunction with the extremely effective in-lens stabilization (IS), will allow photographers to handhold the camera in light levels not previously imagined. Additionally, the camera will also feature dual-card slots and will support the automatic transfer of image files from the device to the new image.canon cloud platform.

Alongside the EOS R5, Canon is also developing seven RF lenses and two RF lens extenders scheduled for release during 2020, including the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x.

A preview of the EOS R5 will be on display at the 2020 WPPI Show (February 25-27) in Las Vegas.

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

Canon EOS R5: official FACTS plus 850D, SELPHY Square, RF 100-500mm - Gordon Laing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2GdtWbmHGY
    Feb 12, 2020

ziggy53
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins

Taking bets that it will be a little over $3500.

Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com

@Moogle Pepper said:
    Taking bets that it will be a little over $3500.

I suspect the 8k feature alone can command a premium price. 8k is 4-times the data of 4k, so a newer image processor for this camera will be a major improvement in speed. Probably Canon's C-Log (not C-Log 2 or C-Log 3).

No guess what that could mean price-wise, but we may not have too long to wait. (Gordon thought more information coming by or in March.)

ziggy53
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I saw a web link with similar information about the EOS R5. Dual cards, high frame rates, IBIS - but I was struck by what was left out - water resistance, body sealing, AF performance compared to a 1DX Mk II or III.

The announcement of the RF 1.4 and 2.0 TCs also was interesting - I wondered if the RF TCs were RF mount on both ends, or if they were going to build a RF TC that would accept a EF prime lens without the necessity of an RF mount adapter - that would really be neat!

I have been playing with my new Olympus OM E-M1X lately - I am very impressed by the IBIS in this body - I have been able to shoot the Oly 300mm f4 Pro ll ( 600mm equivalent ) handheld at 1/10th sec for near subjects with very sharp images. Even 1/5th of second is useful - that's 1/5th - not 1/50th sec at equivalent 600mm focal length handheld!! - with maybe a minor extension tube that will be really useful for butterflies and things..

Canon also announced the RF 100-500 f4.5 ->7.1 IS L - that might be an interesting lens also, but smaller aperture primes don't create the bokeh that f3.5 and faster lenses create so the jury is out for me still . I will probably purchase an R5 when it is available, if it can work fast enough for wildlife.

In my hands, the current R is still too slow for wildlife - maybe its just my hands, not sure yet. I do like the speed of the M1X though, it rocks!! The EOS R is a great landscape beast for me now

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins

I am strongly considering going back to Canon, but will still keep my Fuji gfx and xt3, with the R5 announcement. While I love the images from the Fuji's, the build quality is leaving me wanting.

Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • CW100CW100 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Hopefully the price of the new Canon R5 will be reasonable :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 24, 2020

Me too, but I doubt it.

It may depend on your definition of reasonable. 🥺

Hopefully , significantly less than the 1DX Mk III

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

I would be pleasantly surprised if it was under $3500. That's what the 5D Mark IV price was, and this is more camera than that.

• compasiune11compasiune11 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins

I think the price will be 3500$.
    My only hope is that Canon will not cripple this camera like it always does...

Fotograf Nunta | Fotograf Brasov
    Canon 5DIV | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS

Canon EOS R5 UPDATE! 8k uncropped with AF - Gordon Laing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0kajFGPMnI
    Mar 13, 2020

ziggy note: Not much news, but good news anyway!

ziggy53

Canon EOS R5: 8K is REAL ... - Tony & Chelsea Northrup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJTtEZFU8I
    Mar 13, 2020

ziggy53
    edited March 15, 2020

Canon reveals further EOS R5 details – shutting down speculation that some specs are ‘a fantasy’

https://canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details
    13th March 2020

Canon EOS R5
    Shown with RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens

Sydney, AUSTRALIA, 13th March 2020: Canon INC has today released further development specifications for its recently announced Canon EOS R5, the next-generation full-frame interchangeable lens camera in the company’s EOS R System. These additional details come exactly one month since Canon released the development announcement of the EOS R5 and shut down speculation that some of its revolutionary specifications are ‘a fantasy’.

Signalling a new phase of Canon 5-Series imaging and a revolution in the mirrorless full camera category, Canon’s EOS R5 will offer every photographer – not just professionals – access to high-quality imaging, cutting-edge 8K movie recording, new approaches to in-body image stabilisation, and revolutionary subject detection and tracking performance features.

New possibilities for movie performance
    Unleashing new possibilities, Canon Inc. confirms the EOS R5’s video capabilities will exceed that of competing cameras on the market. (1) With its ability to internally record 8K using the full width of the sensor at up to 30p, the latest Canon EOS R camera is set to redefine mirrorless with its market-leading features. In addition, in all 8K modes the EOS R5 will support Canon’s renowned Dual Pixel CMOS AF.

A beast for subject detection and tracking performance for animals and people
    Canon Inc. also confirms the EOS R5 supports advanced animal AF – recognising dogs, cats and birds, relying not only on the eyes of the animal but also the face and body for situations when the eyes are not visible.

Jason McLean, Director – Consumer Imaging & Services, Canon Australia, said: “Our EOS 5-Series was developed fifteen years ago to make full-frame cameras accessible to consumers, not just professional shooters. Today, that purpose remains steadfast as we continue achieving the ‘impossible’ to deliver the hybrid needs of content creators who are demanding uncompromised performance to generate more still and motion visual content than ever before.”

“With its game changing 8K movie capabilities, new approaches to image stabilisation, revolutionary subject detection, and compatibility with Canon’s full suite of EF (2) and RF lenses, the EOS R5 represents a category revolution as opposed to product evolution in the interchangeable-lens camera market.”

The EOS R5 specifications previously confirmed by Canon include:
    • The EOS R5 offers a step-change in performance with an incredible 12fps using the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter offering 20fps
    • The EOS R5 takes Canon’s cutting-edge image stabilisation technology to the next level, by including a newly Canon-developed, in-camera image stabilisation system – which works in combination with the lens stabilisation system
    • With content delivery just as important as image and video capture, the EOS R5 supports automatic transfer of image files from the device to the image.canon cloud platform. (3)
    • The highly anticipated EOS R5 will feature dual card slots
    • Upon launch, the Canon EOS R5 will also be supported by Canon Australia’s 5-year warranty when purchased from an authorised local dealer.

To stay up to date with the latest news and information regarding the EOS R5, register here: www.canon.com.au/preference-and-settings/in-focus.

(1) As of 13th March 2020
    (2) When used with Canon’s EF-Series lens mount [adapter]
    (3) Automatic file transferring, available for cameras equipped with the automatic file transfer function, beginning with the currently-in-development EOS R5 (announced on 13 February 2020), requires users to connect the camera to a Wi-Fi access point that has been registered in advance

(Edited to clarify notes above)

ziggy53
    edited March 15, 2020

"With its game changing 8K movie capabilities, new approaches to image stabilisation, revolutionary subject detection, and compatibility with Canon’s full suite of EF2 and RF lenses"

EF2? A typo maybe, or something we don't know about yet?

edited March 15, 2020

@kdog said:
    "With its game changing 8K movie capabilities, new approaches to image stabilisation, revolutionary subject detection, and compatibility with Canon’s full suite of EF2 and RF lenses"

EF2? A typo maybe, or something we don't know about yet?

That relates to the second note under the article, as in ...

... compatibility with Canon’s full suite of EF ... "2 When used with Canon’s EF-Series lens mount"

Sorry, was in a hurry to get that posted and didn't realize the notations didn't copy properly to our forum. Will try to make that clearer now, using parenthetical notation.

ziggy53
    edited May 15, 2020

Just a heads-up regarding the Canon EOS R5,

A few people noticed and posted about pages supposedly pre-advertising the Canon EOS R5 and showing a price for the camera. One site is in Australia and the other site is in Romania.

The Australian site looks to be a "placeholder" page, so the price is just a dummy price for the page until the authorized price comes out from Canon. The Romanian site may also be a placeholder, but poking around that site showed all sorts of anomalous and weird things. For instance, this image from the Romanian site:

First thing, the image was a webp type but had a jpg suffix. I downloaded it and converted it to a jpg image and that's what you see. I also didn't want anyone accidentally going to the Romanian website after that minor deception, although I don't think that webp files can carry any malevolent code like some other file types.

Second thing, if you look closely that's a Canon 5D Mark IV body and they show a Canon EF-S 10-18mm lens with it. Newsflash: EF-S mount lenses won't mount on a Canon FF body, like the 5D Mark IV. That seems more like silliness than sales related.

Bottom line, I don't credit either site with being a serious source of information. Canon will release pricing information along with the official shipping dates for the new camera at some time in the future, and especially after their production supply lines are back in operation.

ziggy53
    edited July 9, 2020

Finally!! The EOS R5 is formally announced.
    From the B&H page: https://bhphotovideo.com/explora/canon-eos-r5-and-r6

Canon EOS R5 Top Features

45MP Full-Frame CMOS

High-Resolution Imaging

8K 30p RAW/4K 120p

With Log and HDR function

Dual Pixel CMOS AF II

100% Coverage for Fast, Accurate Autofocus

8-Stop In-Body IS

Superior Image Stabilization

High-Res EVF

Crystal-Clear, Lifelike Viewing

Fast Continuous Shooting

Up to 20 fps with Electronic Shutter

======================================================================

Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)

$3,899.00USD

ziggy53

From the Adorama page: Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body

Key Features

• High Image Quality featuring a New 45 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor
    • DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-51200; Expandable to 102400
    • Dual Pixel CMOS AF covering Approx. 100% Area with 1,053 AF Areas
    • Subject tracking of People and Animals using Deep Learning Technology
    • In-body Image Stabilizer can provide up to 8 stops of Shake Correction
    • Dual Card Slots for CFexpress and UHS-II SD Memory Cards
    • Built-in 0.5" 5.76 Million Dots OLED EVF with 120fps refresh rate, Vari-angle LCD Touchscreen
    • 2.4/5Ghz Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Technology

OUR PRICE $3,899.00USD

With Wireless File Transmitter R10-A/Vertical Battery Grip (Optional and extra)

ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 HANDS ON first looks review vs R6 vs 5DIV vs A7rIV - Gordon Laing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvU4WNb6-J4

ziggy53

Hands ON with the NEW CANON EOS R5! THE GRAIL CAMERA! - Peter McKinnon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3RI14DZMQ

ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6: 8 things you may have missed - DPReview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYghKadMjxE

ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 and R6 Real Life Test, I Found a Perfect Camera - Irene Rudnyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byYwav5ccM

ziggy53

From Armando Ferreira (@mondobytes) | Twitter:

https://twitter.com/mondobytes/status/1284260394157006848

Some quick thoughts after having the R5 for 24 hrs. It’s everything I wanted the EOS R to be but x10! I truly feel there’s nothing you can’t do with this camera. It is truly a powerhouse and it puts a smile on your face when using it and you never want to put it down, stay tuned for more!

... And, regarding overheating ...

ziggy53

@ziggy53 said:

Canon EOS R5 and R6 Real Life Test, I Found a Perfect Camera - Irene Rudnyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byYwav5ccM

This is a very good video. I hadn't heard of her before, but her technique and images are spectacular. Great reviews too especially given she says she doesn't usually do them. I think I found my next camera!

Canon EOS R5 Animal Eye Autofocus | First Impressions - Wild Eye

https://youtu.be/sx8Divtkhe4

ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 PHOTOGRAPHY review (Res, Noise, DR, AF, IBIS, LE, GPS) - Gordon Laing

(This is a retail/production copy of the camera)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5GeNH3Ip0

My in-depth review of the Canon EOS R5 for stills photography only!

ziggy53

Tony and Chelsea Northrup review of the R5's animal eye AF.

https://youtu.be/iUe4vsO3HQ8

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited August 6, 2020

This was helpful, and probably the best review so far of the R5 and R6, especially for video enthusiasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXPiu3wpBs

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Using the Canon EOS R5 as a Journalist - The Phoblographer

https://youtu.be/dpzp14BYqJo

ziggy53

EOS R5 - The BEST Bird Photography Camera EVER? - Jan Wegener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vyq304j4wE

ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 vs Sony a7R IV vs Nikon Z7 EYE AF REVIEW (2020 Edition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG9FYeOay-Q

ziggy53