Gallery Sorting via Title

MidlandDelticMidlandDeltic Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited June 23, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
*NOTE - SORRY, THOUGHT I POSTED IN THIS FORUM BUT FIRST ATTEMPT WENT ONTO MAIN SITE *

Hi All

Unless I'm missing something obvious, the sorting of photos within a gallery is missing an important option.

As far as I can see, there are options to sort by filename, date taken, date modified, date up loaded, by caption or manually. The problem I have is that there is no sort by title available.

I photograph transport, and use a standard title consisting of operator, item, location and date - eg "Ryanair EI-DAN, Dublin Airport, 09-01-2016" (airline, aircraft registration, location, date). Generally photos will appear in two galleries - one for the trip, and one for the operator or type.

Trip is sorted by date taken. However, I want to sort the operator or type galleries by title, so that they appear in vehicle order. Caption I use to provide a description of the image, which by its nature is free text and is therefore not sortable - given the difference in size of the boxes, this appears to be the expectation of the programmers. I note that is the exif has a title, this is put in the caption box on Smugmug, which is illogical.

Of course, I could sort manually. However, even this is not straightforward, as the title of an image cannot easily by seen on the Organise screen; only filename is available (which in my case is a date / sequence based name for reference from external databases). This would therefore require two windows open and a lot of transferring back and forth - especially in large galleries.

Can I ask therefore that sort by title is made available as a standard option please?

Regards

MidlandDeltic

Comments

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited June 13, 2016
    This is something that's on our list to get to when we're able to!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • MidlandDelticMidlandDeltic Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2016
    Thanks. Any indication on timescales for what seems a fairly straightforward item? I've moved over from Flickr, where this is a standard feature, and to be frank it is a real pain not having it here :)

Cheers

MidlandDeltic
  • wootenwooten Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

It's been a little over a year. Any chance this is coming soon?

• MidlandDelticMidlandDeltic Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

And over four years later, still not done! Come on, this cannot be difficult to program. My "workaround" of effectively making the first line of the caption by typing a reference code of up to 27 characters is a poor substitute!