Options

Mini Challenge #354: Location, Location, Location

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
edited June 5, 2023 in The Dgrin Challenges

How does your location influence the images that catch your eye and how do your captures reflect that place? Feel free to show us landscapes, seascapes, city life, amusement parks, air shows, etc. I want to keep the parameters of this challenge broad and hope that you have fun shooting or selecting images that suggest a location and perhaps tell a story. [Edit: I came back to add a couple more photos to try to indicate that "small scenes" are also welcome!)

Please give each of your entries a title indicating something about the place.

This mini-challenge will run for three weeks, ending Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 8 pm EST. Looking forward to seeing some of the locations you show us! I will be traveling for part of this time and will have limited access to the internet, so please feel free to encourage each other during this mini!

(If you are new to the Dgrin challenges, you may find it helpful to read the Unofficial Guidelines and Rules.)

Here are a few examples to get you started:

1. Lighthouse in California

2. United Terminal at O'Hare Airport

3. Road in Kenya

4. Canal in Bruges, Belgium

5. Basilica of Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre in Paris, France

6. Spring in Pennsylvania (intentional camera movement)

7. Street in Speyer, Germany

8. Sand Abstract New Jersey shore, Jan 2023

9. Desert in Tucson, Arizona

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

Great Topic!

1) Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, Arizona

2) Mountaineer or the Anderson Cabin, Yosemite NP, California. The Pioneer Yosemite History Center is located near Wawona at the south end of the Park.

3)Yellowstone NP, Wyoming - Travertine Terraces

• Options

@Cavalier, Jo thank you for getting us off to a great start!

• Options

Looking forward to seeing more photos show up in this thread!

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

Few from my travels all over America..

Santa Fe Ranch

Lost in Kansas

Sneffles in Colorado

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

Jo, that is a beautiful photo of the Travertine Terraces. So gorgeous. I've been trying to figure out where you were standing for this image. This is one of my favorite places at Yellowstone and I'm not sure I've ever seen it so pretty. :)

Sherry

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    1. Sunflowers - I have lived in Central Texas for almost 40 years. My favorite time of year is wildflower season in early spring. I simply don't ever remember sunflowers being a thing here, but in the past couple of years it has become one. This was my first chance at actually finding some fields of a variety of types of sunflowers. It was so pretty, but dang was it hot!!

2. Horseshoe Bend, Arizona - I have visited this spot a number of times but could never get a shot that I liked. I was so happy that I finally got one. The (new-ish) platform helped me feel more secure up there with all that wind coming up out of the canyon.

3. 1789 Selectman's Building, Somesville, Maine - perhaps my favorite photo from our first trip to Maine this past fall.

Sherry P.

• Options

@lynnma and @slpollett, thank you both for your great entries!

• Options

While the task of judging this mini will already be challenging, it would be great to see more entries before the mini ends on Saturday. 🙂

• Options

Two more days to share photos for this challenge!

• Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins

I'm back to my normal last minute behavior...

1. Great Smoky Mountains, NP - Grotto Falls

The trail to the spot where I photographed this waterfall passes behind the falls. The view was worth getting sprayed.

2. Sedona Arizona Sunrise - View from Lover's Knoll

3. Yaki Point Grand Canyon NP, just after sunset

The sky shows the pinkish antitwilight arch, or anticrepuscular arch. The pinkish color is red light from the sun which is refracted by the earth's atmosphere. The blue color is the earth's shadow.

~~Barbara
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2023

Gretchen, you made the parameters so broad that I really had trouble making a decision! These pictures are from three of our more recent vacations.

1) In the middle of the pandemic in 2021, we rented a small RV and went to southeast France for a month. The first week was spent in the Rhone Valley and every day we took a different bike excursion. Here we're heading back through the vineyards towards our campground near the town of Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

2) Last May we drove down to the state of Puglia in southern Italy and took a week-long bike trip through the region, traveling the back roads of this fantastic area. This was the first day of the bike ride and we got to experience the famous Trulli houses up-close-and-personal.

3) Christmas Day 2022 in the Dolomites. This year we celebrated Christmas in South Tyrol (Italy) and on Christmas Day the weather cleared up so my husband could go skiing. He skiis and I ride up the gondola with him and wander around taking pictures and enjoying the view.

• Options

@bfluegie and @sarasphotos - Delighted to see your entries for this mini challenge! This mini is still open until 8pm EST today, so there is still time for others to join in. :)

• Options

This mini challenge is now closed. Since I just returned from two weeks overseas, I will probably post results on Monday. Looking forward to the challenge of choosing finalists and a winner!

• Options

I will have the results posted tomorrow.