Options

Mini-Challenge #355 - Beat the Heat (or Keeping your Cool in a Summer Heatwave)

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
edited June 28, 2023 in The Dgrin Challenges

I'm sure some of you folks are in some more comfortable areas, but here in Central Texas we are stuck under a sweltering heat dome that just won't go away. Our air temperatures have hovered around 100, but our heat index has us between 115-120. Folks, that is just too hot. So, of course all I can think about is ways to stay cool right now. Hence, my idea for this mini.

What I'd like to see is shots that show the various ways to cope with a summer heat wave. I don't have photos of all that I am thinking about, but this could be swimming, boating, hiking in the mountains, playing in a fountain, eating ice cream, etc. I'm sure y'all have way better ideas than I have. My brain has melted, lol.

Let's run this mini through 5:00 pm Central Daylight time on July 20, 2023. That will give me time to go visit my daughter who lives in a cooler place and then settle in back home.

Here are a few examples of what I have in mind.

1. Post graduation shoot at a local waterfall

2. Another

3. Eating a popsicle

4. Tubing

5. Water park ride

6. Hike the Narrows at Zion

7. Hike in the Mountains (Yes, it was cold up there. My daughter was chilly so she grabbed an extra jacket that we always keep in the car. It was just a little big for her, lol.)

I don't really have any great shots to share here, so I am counting on all of you to help me out and make it tough for me. I was looking for a couple of particular images. I will swap those out or add them when I find them. Send those cool summer vibes my way!

Sherry P.

Remember this mini ends on July 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm CDT.

Here are the un official rules.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

Fun theme Sherry, I'll see what I can come up with!

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

Great idea for a mini! Thanks, Sherry!

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

Diggin deep for this one Sherry.. great topic though..

Bella staying cool!

Fishing in a cool breeze

About to cool off!!

• Options

Thanks lynnma for getting everyone started!

I know it's summer vacation, but there's still plenty of time to show me the best ways to cool off this summer! I am about to be out of pocket for a bit (though unfortunately nowhere that is cool), so please flood this thread while I'm not looking!

Sherry P.

• Options

Hey guys! please don't leave me in here all alone :#

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023

@Lynnma I will be posting some photos in the next few days. :smile: Hoping others join in and give Sherry lots of visual opportunities to cool down from the heat wave affecting so many of us this summer!

July 11 Edits:
    I finally posted a few entries (see below). Along the way, I thought about the ways we used to beat the heat when I was much younger. Sitting in front of the fan (because we didn't have central AC in our house when I was a child), riding bicycles to feel the breeze, drinking a frosty cold beverage or eating a popsicle. It was fun to walk down memory lane and then do the same thing as I looked through my Lightroom catalog for photos I could share as entries. I am guessing that if I looked through my iPhone photos, I would have found even more possibilities!

Not an entry for this challenge but looks like a fun way to beat the heat! (I think I shared this photo in an earlier dgrin challenge and decided to look for more recent photos. It was fun to think back to that trip though and reprocess the photo a little differently.)

• Options
    edited July 12, 2023

I was surprised at how hard I found the challenge of finding photos suggesting "Beat the Heat" but I think I was interpreting it too narrowly. I suspect that if I looked at photos taken with my phone, I'd find a lot more options but I did find a few.

1) Enjoying a Loch in the Glencoe highlands (Scotland)
    The temperatures were unusually warm in June when we were visiting.

2) Playing in a Fountain in Charleston, South Carolina (USA)

3) Backyard Fun

• Options

Great shots Gretchen!

• Options

@lynnma - thanks! I enjoyed seeing your entries, too. Wish I was sitting in that chair on the beach with my feet in the water!

• Options

i just got back from our trip and I am happy to see two participants with awesome entries, but I am disappointed there aren't more!!

Those shots in the fountains, swimming, sitting by the lake, dogs playing in water, etc are all perfect. Other ideas could include eating ice cream or popsicles, sitting in the shade or using a handheld fan, or visiting a cooler place.

There are two more days left to participate. Please make it ridiculously hard for me to pick a winner!

Sherry P.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2023

Hoping to see some more entries for this mini! I am visiting Georgia just now and the temperature is 96 (weather app says feels like 106)! Hoping for more participation because that makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

• Options

There is still a little time to add some images before today's deadline! I would really love to see more participation. Would it help to extend the deadline until Sunday? I can easily do that if everyone is agreeable to it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sherry

• Options

Sherry, please feel free to extend the challenge until Sunday if you want. Looking back over the past 18 months, participation tends to drop during the summer. So it is hard to know whether an extension will make a difference or not?

• Options

We'll try extending until Sunday, July 23, 2023 say 9pm. I hope this gives folks a chance to get some entries this weekend. It's so hot throughout most of the US, surely there are images to be had!

No more extensions. I'll announce the winner on Monday, July 24.

Sherry

• Options

I'm sad. :(

2.5 hours left to play and we still only have two people participating. Is everyone just too busy?

There is still a little bit of time to play. Please post an entry if you have one.

Sherry

• Options
    james18james18 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins

The water will help us cool off, and it can be a lot of fun. It's important to stay hydrated when it's hot outside.

PathEdits.com - Product Photo Editing

• Options

This mini is closed.

I will post the winner shortly.

Sherry