Options

Mini-Challenge #358: Here's Looking at You!

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

Let's try something a little different and share photos where the subject is looking at you, the photographer. As the examples will show, I am hoping to see photos of people or animals who are making eye contact. For those who may be new to the Dgrin challenges, you are allowed to enter three photos and these can be old or new. But please give each of your entries a title of some kind.

Hope you find this a fun topic for a mini!

This challenge starts now and will end on Saturday, Sept. 30th at 6 pm EST.

A few examples to get you started:

1) Donald Duck looking down at me

2) Salash, a Wonderful Masai Guide

3) Warthog seen on Safari

4) Bird that landed on our boat

5) Large tortoise seen in South Africa

(If you are new to the Dgrin challenges, you may find it helpful to read the Unofficial Guidelines and Rules.)

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

I have more animals looking at me than people. Is that a statement on the photographer?? O well, as long as animals like me, I'm good!

1: My current pup - Wiille (One-eyed Willie). After rolling around on the love seat and messing up the throw, giving me the "Yeah, that happened" look.

1. Princess Waves from the Kool April NItes Cruse in Redding, Ca. Cutest people in a car that night!
    2. Previous pup - Wally, who passed in 2018. This shot rather defined his personality - he ruled the roost, or thought he did.

• Options

@Cavalier - Thank you for getting us off to a great start!

• Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2023

When I first read the title of this mini I thought I would be sitting out again. I try really hard to keep people out of my pictures which left me with nothing to enter in the last few. But then I read further and saw that you are including animals so I'm in.

1. Nap Interrupted (by my off-camera flash practice)

2. Shadow in the sun room
      Her favorite place to nap and one of my favorite places to take her picture.

3. Bella! As named and in fact. This is one of my sister's cats.

~~Barbara
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins

Long time no post! I think it has been about 10 years since I was on Dgrin! :)

• Options

@bfluegie - Thank you both for the great entries! I haven't had much luck photographing our pets, so it is fun to see what you and @Cavalier have been able to capture!
    @heatherfeather - Welcome back and thank you for the great entry! (Feel free to add two more if you wish.)

Such a delightful surprise to have three photographers sharing photos the day after I posted this challenge!

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

Fun topic!

1. Our daughter and our youngest cat Sugar.

2. Pronghorn at Grand Teton National Park. This gal wasn't sure what we were up to, so she cautiously watched us while we took our pictures.

3. Our Daughter - Of course over the years I took many pictures of my daughter. Usually, she didn't really like it when I did and I usually got a funny face or a hand held up in front of her or something similar. On rare occasion, it would be her idea for pictures, and usually those would be amazing. This will always be one of my favorites of her that I took.

I may swap one of these out if I can find the pictures I've been looking for. My Mom was always once of my biggest supporters of my photography hobby. When she got to where she couldn't live by herself anymore, I brought her to live with me. She asked for a portrait session one day and those photos are beyond special to me, especially now that Mom is gone. I thought I had those photos in a smugmug gallery, but I didn't find them. I need to pull out my previous external drive to find them. Too tired tonight. ;)

Sherry P.

• Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2023

Found some:

1. Coyote

1. Border collie

1. Sheep

• Options
    edited September 15, 2023

@slpollett and @GSPeP so fun to see your entries here! Great eye contact and a variety of expressions. :)

Glad I came up with a challenge topic that embraces photos of people and/or animals as that certainly seems to have made it easier for people to participate this time. The eyes are a key element in most of these entries - much more so than in my examples - and that suits this theme very well. ("The Eyes Have It" just came to mind as an alternative title for this mini, and googling that I see that this play on words is the title of book...)

Thank you all for making sure I will have a challenging time judging this mini! Still two more weeks for others to enter some photos!

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

Fun challenge Gretchen, and I finally have time to enter.

1) "Hey there, what's up?"

2) Kayaker

3) "Could you please get these flies off my face?"

• Options

@sarasphotos Great set of entries and lovely to "hear" from you again!

• Options

Loving the variety of entries here! There are still a few more days left to enter this mini, if anyone else is interested. :smile: Challenge ends on Saturday at 6pm EST.

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

I just want to say that it makes me happy to see more entries this time. @bfluegie I love your kitty pictures. The one of Shadow is fantastic! @heatherfeather so glad to have you back! I remember you and it has been a while. Unless I'm confused (which is entirely possible), didn't you have a staircase that was painted to look like classic books? Your entry is super nice, too. Love it!

Sherry P.

• Options

The "Here's Looking at You" mini-challenge is now over. I will try to post the results tomorrow or Monday. Many thanks to all who entered! With so many fine entries (fitting the theme much better than my examples), it will be difficult to judge! :smile: Gretchen