Mini Challenge #372: Climb (or photograph) Every Mountain

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins

Since I somehow managed a first place with a theme I don't photograph often I thought I'd go back to one of the genres I do like to photograph. For this mini I would like to see pictures of mountains. Close-ups of a single mountain or scenes with a mountain chain are good. Heck, I'll even take buttes, mesas, etc. The land formation in question just has to show a significant rise above the surrounding land. Be warned, I may be using entries to add to my "must see" list.

This challenge will run through 11 August, 9:00 PM EDT.

Here are the official/unofficial rules: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

A few examples:
Mount Thielsen, Oregon

Courthouse Butte, Sedona AZ

Rocky Mountain Sunset

El Capitan (and Ribbon Falls)

~~Barbara

Comments

• npdemersnpdemers Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2024

Ooo this should be fun! I don't have a lot of mountain photos, but here goes:

1) Kirkjufell ("Church Mountain") on the north side of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula in Iceland. Photo taken May 2019.

2) Mont Saint-Michel, on the coast of Normandy, France. Hardly a mountain despite its name (the top isn't even 100m above sea level) but if you have a "must see" list then you must add this spot! It's gorgeous, with a thousand years of history and surrounded by miles and miles of spectacular countryside. Taken May 2022.

Looking up Pitt River from the Highway 7 bridge, framed by some of the Cascade Range. Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, June 2024

Blog: https://figureoutthesea.ca
    Store: https://nicolasdemers.smugmug.com/

"Either we'll figure out the sea, or we'll keep finding beautiful places."

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,217 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2024

Oooohhhh, I love mountains. I thought I would have so many to choose from, but while searching, I discovered that I have lots of pics showing the views FROM the mountain, but not as many as I thought that actually show the mountain itself. Usually the shots that show a mountain or a range of mountains have my family in the foreground. (lol)

1. The Sacramento Mountains as seen from White Sands National Park in Alamagordo, NM. I think the snow-covered peak is Sierra Blanca Peak, but I'm really not sure. The white in the foreground is white gypsum sand, not snow even though this photo was taken in December (2022).

2. View of Angel's Landing at Zion National Park

3. Mount Edgecumbe as seen from Sitka, Alaska

Just for fun--Mount Rainier from an airplane. It isn't the sharpest since we were moving and I had to shoot through the window on the plane. I still love it though.

I might swap out at least one photo if I can find the one that came to mind when I saw the topic.

Sherry P.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins

Thanks for getting us off to a great start @npdemers and @slpollett.

~~Barbara
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,154 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2024

1, The barren shores of San Lorenzo Island

1. Mining in western US in 1964

1. El Moro light
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 718 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2024

We have a few mountains here in Arizona...
    Wall Street, Arches Nat'l Park

Ancient Sand Dunes and shoreline at White Pocket, Utah.

We also have a great big hole in the ground... Twilight at the Grand Canyon view from N. Rim

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,217 Major grins

Love your Grand Canyon shot, Shawn.
    Sherry

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,962 moderator
    edited August 4, 2024

Fun to see so many gorgeous shots of mountains! Here are a few of the mountains I've seen in recent years.

1) Morning in Yosemite National Park

2) Three Sisters Mountains in Glencoe, Scotland

3) Autumn in the Maroon Bells, Colorado

Not an entry: Mountain Reflection (seen in Yosemite National Park, California)

I'm loving all the entries so far! There's still six days to go to post your mountain photos.

~~Barbara
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Major grins

I've felt bad for not participating in the last few challenges but for the past few months we've been either planning a trip, on the trip, recovering from the trip (tourism is exhausting!) and now somewhat suddenly, planning the next trip - we leave again on Friday for 10 days away. Retirement is never dull. In the light of all of this I must once again beg understanding and ask that these not be considered for judging - but I just have so many mountain pictures (we leave two hours north of the Alps) I couldn't resist sharing.

1) In the middle of the Dolomites, La Villa/Stern, Italy

2) Once again in the Dolomites - Christmas Day 2022 at the Kronplatz ski area near Brunico

3) Summer 2023 near Mittenwald, on the German side of the Alps

Great entries so far. In case others were thinking of entering, there are two days left in this challenge.

~~Barbara

Thanks for all the great entries. This challenge is now closed. I should have the results up sometime tomorrow.

~~Barbara