Options

Deal: Sandisk memory $$$ drops - Calumet, B&H

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited February 10, 2006 in Flea Market
Calumet Photo has a great sale on Sandisk memory.

Search for Sandisk, both CF and SD.

I bought a 2GB Ultra II for $94.99. Some sizes are out of stock. I don't know how they handle out of stock issues (concerning the sale price), but I have dealt with them before and they are a very good company to deal with. You can always place the order over the phone and they will locate items in their stores if it is not in the warehouse. :thumb

(800) 225-8638

or check their Retail Stores

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Calumet Photo has a great sale on Sandisk memory.

Search for Sandisk, both CF and SD.

I bought a 2GB Ultra II for $94.99. Some sizes are out of stock. I don't know how they handle out of stock issues (concerning the sale price), but I have dealt with them before and they are a very good company to deal with. You can always place the order over the phone and they will locate items in their stores if it is not in the warehouse. thumb.gif

(800) 225-8638

or check their Retail Stores

thumb.gifthumb.gif

What a bargain. A 4gb Ultra III for $219! I got one. Thanks for the tip!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    agreed. i was looking for another 2gb and didn't want to pay over $200, which is what my local camera store was asking.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    I wouldn't worry about the out of stock ones. Word on the street (well, someone on FM asked one of the stores with low sandisk CF card prices why the prices are so low) is that these price drops are going to be Sandisks new prices.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    I bought a 2 gb, I was expecting to have to pay about 100.00 for a 1 gb that I did pay for the 2 gb (with the shipping).

Thanks,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 5, 2006
    I wouldn't worry about the out of stock ones. Word on the street (well, someone on FM asked one of the stores with low sandisk CF card prices why the prices are so low) is that these price drops are going to be Sandisks new prices.

Must be the reason they're moving...cut down on expenses :D

Seriously, they're across the street from us and just busting at the seams.
    Glad to hear they're lowering the price for cards too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 5, 2006
    Thanx for the heads up. Now.... why did I buy one of these for $179 last week? :cry

Perhaps this will get me onto the train to finally check out Calumet's large store in downtown Chicago. Or I could drive up to Bensenville and while I'm at it stop in at LifeGem for that brochure that Gus wants me to send him. lol3.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Deal: CF cards reduced at B&H
    Word up.

Just today, B&H cut some CF card prices in half. Not a sale. Sandisk announced a 30% reduction across the board about a week ago, but this is more than 30%.

Sunday's price on Sandisk 2GB Ultra II.... $179.95
    Monday's price on same Sandisk card........$89.95 Wow!

Like an idiot, I bought the 2GB a few weeks ago. 11doh.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Word up.

Just today, B&H cut some CF card prices in half. Not a sale. Sandisk announced a 30% reduction across the board about a week ago, but this is more than 30%.

Sunday's price on Sandisk 2GB Ultra II.... $179.95
    Monday's price on same Sandisk card........$89.95 Wow!

Like an idiot, I bought the 2GB a few weeks ago. 11doh.gif

I wish 0zzies could buy from them via visa card over the net :cry I would buy everything there & still save money after it was shipped.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I wish 0zzies could buy from them via visa card over the net :cry I would buy everything there & still save money after it was shipped.

I didn't know that. But the prices are going down everywhere. Calumet did the same pricing a few days ago. They originally had a "SALE" tag over the price, but now the tag is gone. Looks like the deals reflect the new price structure.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I didn't know that. But the prices are going down everywhere. Calumet did the same pricing a few days ago. They originally had a "SALE" tag over the price, but now the tag is gone. Looks like the deals reflect the new price structure.
    Most 0zzies buy on ebay from Hong Kong so i will pop in & check out whats happening. I do need more storage.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    You can't buy from BH? I thought they were something of the kings on international sales. Guess I was wrong. Do these low prices make anybody else think that Sandisk has some wonder card waiting for PMA?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2006
    I merged the two Sandisk DEAL threads together as they are both talking about Sandisk's price drops across the board, not just specific deals at either Calumet or B&H.

(these are killer deals - I thought I scored a great deal a few weeks ago when I snagged a new in box 2gb card from friend who didn't neet it for $120)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Amazon now has the Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II CF card for $60 shipped.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Either way this is a good deal all the way around. I wonder when Lexar and other's will have to match pricing. :D
  • Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Either way this is a good deal all the way around. I wonder when Lexar and other's will have to match pricing. :D

Well Lexar has 1gb for $99, with a $30 mail in rebate. I just got one Sunday, I wish I had seen this thread first.headscratch.gif
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Nappalonia wrote:
    Well Lexar has 1gb for $99, with a $30 mail in rebate. I just got one Sunday, I wish I had seen this thread first.headscratch.gif

From whence did you get your lexar..and did they have great prices on the 2gb and up.....1gb is just too small for me as I sometimes bracket.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Very cool - I had been considering getting another 2gig Extreme III card. Think I'll soon get the 4gig instead for just a shade more.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    i ordered the 2gb on calumet, but they are on back order and they aren't sure for how long.......:cry

my stuff
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Amazon now has the Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II CF card for $60 shipped.

according to amazon it ships from adorama. wonder if they have the same price on their site.....surfing.......

my stuff
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    i ordered the 2gb on calumet, but they are on back order and they aren't sure for how long.......:cry

me, too, Laurie.

I have not decided whether to cancel the order as it ties up 100.00

ginger (I asked, they said everyone is out. Maybe if we got an unpopular size...........but I don't want to pay more, even if I were to get more memory.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    me, too, Laurie.

ginger (I asked, they said everyone is out. Maybe if we got an unpopular size...........but I don't want to pay more, even if I were to get more memory.)
    i just ordered a 2gb from b&h, i have an event next weekend and really want the extra disk space. i am finding my self shooting raw more and more and need the space. this should be fun, it's a fjord horse show :)

my stuff
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    me, too, Laurie.

Not everyone is out. BH has them it seems. Still, I'm not buying because I feel like they might have something great waiting for us at PMA.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    Not everyone is out. BH has them it seems. Still, I'm not buying because I feel like they might have something great waiting for us at PMA.

My guess would be higher capacity, faster speed along with some introductory prices that nobody sane would pay for just yet. Same thing every year.

But while faster speed cards may seem enticing, remember, your camera has hardware and firmware that limits write and read speeds. An example is the Canon 20D which can use the 70-75x speed CF's (like the Sandisk Ultra II), but faster cards don't help - they only cost more money. The 133x and 150x cards don't perform better in a 20D -- in fact, there's evidence to the contrary. Rob Galgraith's CF speed test data, along with Phil Askey's support that.

Future cams will no doubt be able to manage the speed of faster cards.

A 4GB card at $190US is a good deal now, and will be a better deal later on I'll bet. Just buy a card that makes sense. Don't buy into hype.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    You can't buy from BH? I thought they were something of the kings on international sales.

I thought that also until i tried to give them several thou for lenses. I am now very used to dealing with asia & quite comfortable in doing so. Lesson in marketing B&H.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I have to agree with this statement, with an addendum (see below):
    David_S85 wrote:
    A 4GB card at $190US is a good deal now, and will be a better deal later on I'll bet. Just buy a card that makes sense. Don't buy into hype.
    I've heard it said many times that the best way to buy electronics, especially anything computer related, is to figure out what you need right now and buy only that. Don't get caught up in the next best thing since sliced bread.

Following this practice is the best way to maximize your buying power over the long run. As most folks know, hype is just some marketer's way of trying to seperate people from their money sooner and more quickly.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    Well, what I shoot, I need all the speed in the world. If They come out with something that gets .5mb/sec faster RAW write times according to robgalbraith (like the extreme III does compared to the ultra II IIRC), I'm there.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I thought that also until i tried to give them several thou for lenses. I am now very used to dealing with asia & quite comfortable in doing so. Lesson in marketing B&H.

Gus, try contacting Calumet Photo, they have stores in Europe, so maybe they would be better sending orders to you. I have called here in the US and on some items they will price match with B+H. It never hurts to ask. They have always been very customer service oriented when I call. They want your business.

Another Calumet tip, if the item is out of stock in the warehouse call them, if it is available in a store, they will ship it from the store. A friend of mine found a 4GB card that way.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Gus, try contacting Calumet Photo, they have stores in Europe, so maybe they would be better sending orders to you. I have called here in the US and on some items they will price match with B+H. It never hurts to ask. They have always been very customer service oriented when I call. They want your business.

Another Calumet tip, if the item is out of stock in the warehouse call them, if it is available in a store, they will ship it from the store. A friend of mine found a 4GB card that way.
    Tks mate but im cool with hong kong...hell you can walk there at low tide. Freight is minimal. I bought stuff of a no-body in china a few months back & i have never seen anyone go out of their so much way to be so helpfull. There are a lot of one man shows ready to take the big boys customes.