Options

xmlrpc vs rest

ankitankit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
I would like to play with a little web-programming by writing some toy scripts/apps using the smugmug api. It looks like the api comes in two flavours REST and XML-RPC. Having no web-programming experience, I am not sure which one I should choose. Which one would you recommend when? Any links would some introductory tutorials would be great. thanks!

Comments

• Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    I would recomend XML-RPC, but I'm that kind of guy. Don thinks REST is the way to go, and he knows a lot more about it than me :)

What language? What apps? It kind of depends.

Tutorials coming in summer.

Luke
  • Options
    ankitankit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    I would recomend XML-RPC, but I'm that kind of guy. Don thinks REST is the way to go, and he knows a lot more about it than me :)

What language? What apps? It kind of depends.

Tutorials coming in summer.

Luke

Thanks for the reply. I want to get started with something simple like displaying a random picture on my web page. Thinking of using python or php.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    ankit wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I want to get started with something simple like displaying a random picture on my web page. Thinking of using python or php.

OK, so a couple of pointers that may help you out:

sdmeyer's Last 5 Photos PHP script
    (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6206)

Rutt's command-line Python tool
    (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=3853)

Both using XML-RPC

Hope this helps,

Luke
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Not sure if this helps at all but...

I was familiar with REST. Then I had to learn XML-RPC to work with the Smugmug API (back before it had a REST option).

I ended up liking XML-RPC more, because it didn't require me to work with the XML DOM. I was using "classic" ASP, found a a good XML-RPC library, and off I went.

I agree with Luke that a lot will depend on the platform you choose and the tools you have available.