Options

What's Your Favorite Accessory?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Are you talking about the sticky threads at the top of this forum?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you talking about the sticky threads at the top of this forum?

i think it was.headscratch.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i think it was.headscratch.gif

Right here, Daniel. I moved your post.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Right here, Daniel. I moved your post.

thank you :D

it was the

Canon Angle Finder C

that i was lookin for. looks pretty handy.:):
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Back WindowBack Window Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    my fav is the BG-E3 battery grip. with the LONG hours i work with my camera i can depend on my battery life keeping up!
    It's weird that photographers spend years or even a whole lifetime, trying to capture moments that added together, don't even amount to a couple of hours.
    James Lalropui Keivomhttp://www.Backwindowproductions.com/bwp
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    OK, I work in Dustville, usually (horse shooter) and my favorite accessory is probably my Rocket Blower! A few snorts in sensor cleaning mode is a quick fix before shooting. It compresses nicely to fit in my waist pack's side pocket.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 4, 2006
    lynnesite wrote:
    OK, I work in Dustville, usually (horse shooter) and my favorite accessory is probably my Rocket Blower! A few snorts in sensor cleaning mode is a quick fix before shooting. It compresses nicely to fit in my waist pack's side pocket.

Careful with the rocket. Remember, it sucks in too :D You can get a nozzle
    full of dust that you end up blowing back into the camera (though this isn't
    usually too much of a problem).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Careful with the rocket. Remember, it sucks in too :D You can get a nozzle
    full of dust that you end up blowing back into the camera (though this isn't
    usually too much of a problem).
    That's why I keep mine in a plastic bag. Another tip from Patchmundo. Tho to be honest, I don't use the blower much.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Great suggestions !! :):

Other than the usual camera swag, I have an "odd" one that kind of turned into a fav.

- A plastic poncho.

I tend to keep my camera with me at all times, and there have been some great shots that required me to get on the ground but I didn't or couldn't change afterwards. so the poncho was great for keeping my clothes from getting dirty. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Without a doubt, my Domke F2 camera bag. This thing has been through thick and thin with me and it's the ONLY piece of camera equipment that wasn't stolen from me some years ago.

I've been in photography now for over 30 years, but about 10 years ago every last piece of photo equipment...lights, cameras, lenses, tripods, meters....was stolen in a big break-in. Even my beloved Minolta SRT-201 that I got when I was 13. That's when I decided to take a break from the business and go into color pre-press doing a lot of Photoshop work. But as I said, the only thing that "survived" the theft was my Domke F2. The thieves may not have wanted it, but I sure as hell was happy with it.

It's not the latest wiz-bang bag or belt system, but it's very comfortable, conforms to my body and actually holds a ton of gear.
  • Options
    pchrpchr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    I think the gadget bag/tool kit thing was one of the things that got me into camera's I love a well organised kit of any description.

I think my favourite has to be a battery grip - regardless of camera body. I like the extra button for portrait shots, I like the extra weight, I like being able to buy AA batteries from any little corner shop when I'm on holiday and I really like the fact that it makes my camera look more "Pro" which doesn't make any difference to the quality of the shots but makes me enjoy my hobby more.

I first got one for my EOS30, and now that I've moved to the D350 it's vital due to the minscule size of that camera.
    Keep Kickin'
    soft72
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    got to be my epson p-2000 the best thing ive seen i have 3 friends that bought it as soon as they've seen them
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    The most sexy accessory i own is the
    Kinetronics Anti Static Cloth. It's a shining
    orange micro fiber cloth that makes me
    wanna dust/rub and pet the rest of my
    eqipment all day long. This sikly smooth
    feel...Gosh! Its a sensation believe me. icon_biggrin.gif

k_ascsw.jpg
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    At this moment it is my CROOKED HORN OUTFITTERS Slide & Flex Bino-systems camera harness (okay Binocular harness)...just purchased it at Sportsmans Warehouse for the walmart price of 14.87 + Tax......hooked it up to my KM 7D with Sigma 70 -210 f2.8 and WOW.....there did not seem to be any weight.

BS-125.jpgBS.jpg

Here is the link to Crooked Horn Outfitters flex & slide Bino System:

https://www.crookedhorn.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9&zenid=68812f404ecaf09d3401fb0172843fd0
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Just like GraphyFotoz, the Gerber is always at my side.

But, don't forget that mini Maglight for those 2am trips to the dark ends of the world for the a shot or two. Also, it takes AA's. Carry enough of these for the flash. Just hate dropping the lens cap in the woods...
    aacell2_black.jpg
    I added one of these: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=Gxbv9BTLNm9q45CDccnBLktTN3Ws4v31Zh4rJq1ZGHqLpTvygJHG!324654107?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617674&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302539661&bmUID=1152457638560 to mine... I love it! Batteries then last forever (nearly!) but one other neat side effect is that it has a, I would guess, about 6000K beam so is great for painting with light with a daylight WB setting.

I only got my camera a few days ago, but I have already taken quite a liking to my battery grip (BGE2) as I have huge hands (I am 6'2" with hands to match).

Jamie
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Of all the accessories I have there's only one that I take with me every time I grab my camera. The only one that I consider my absolutely essential, goes-everywhere-my-camera-goes, can't-live-without accessory is my Hakuba LensPen. All my other accessories are nice-to-haves.
  • Options
    mghanermghaner Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Super Quick
    I would have to say that right now it would be my new 15min charger for AA batteries. Seems like I always forget to charge until the last min. My main portrait camera is my Fuji S3/Pro and it runs on AA batts (as does my SB800 flash(s) for outdoor portrait fill flash) With this 15 min charger I can juice up 8 batts in about 1/2 hour, even less if I am just topping them off.
    "I feel way more like I do right now then I did earlier today"
    http://www.mikehaner.blogspot.com

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Another vote for the BG-E2 grip. I added one of these a couple days after I got my 20D and it has not come off yet! It really makes the camera better to hold. Adds some weight but I like giving my pinkie a place to rest.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    I think dgrin is my favourite "accessory". I get a "room" full of people who actually enjoy talking cameras... so I don't have to bore friends and family. Don't get me wring, they like my work (some of it.. I am an amateur after all), but they don't like to talk cameras.

I learn so much from Dgrin, and some other (lesser!) sites that I really do consider it a must-have accessory.

jamie
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    My RRS L plate.

It's light, beautifully designed, and makes switching from landscape to portrait mode on a tripod a fluid easy task. I even like the feel of my 20D more after putting the L plate on.

2nd place would be the Lightsphere II with the inverted dome. It's made a huge improvement in portrait shots.
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    My favorite photography accessory is a camera. :D

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    BG-E3 grip for the XT-XTi... best damn thing out there for them!
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    BG-E3 grip for the XT-XTi... best damn thing out there for them!
    It's really helpful when posting to this thread to not only say what is your favorite accessory, but why it is your favorite. That helps others weigh whether it should become one of their accessories thumb.gif.

Along the lines of battery grips, I have a BG-E2 for my 20D. It's definitely up on my list (but not the top) because it:
    • provides more vertical space for my fingers when the camera is held in horizontal ("landscape") orientation (this also makes the camera easier to handhold with longer lenses)
    • provides incredible battery life -- certainly enough for a very long day of shooting, and 2 batteries often keep me going for a month. The extra battery life is appreciated even more when using Image Stabilization (IS or OS) lenses, which are yet another drain on the battery (esp in AI Focus or Auto Servo focus modes).
    • of course, provides the vertical shutter release/main dial for portrait-orientation shots
    • and, in an emergency, would allow me to keep shooting with AA batteries
    If I had a XT or XTi body (man, those puppies are small!), I think I'd want a battery grip even more, to give me something big enough to hold onto :D.

My favorite bang-for-the-buck accessory is still the $20 Sto-Fen OmniBounce diffuser for my flash.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    ONESHOTONESHOT Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I WASN'T GOING TO POST HERE, BUT AFTER READING ALL I CHANGED
    MY MIND..ONE THING I NEVER LEAVE BEHIND IS MY MP3 PLAYER..?
    KEEPS ME COMPANY. I STICK THE OLD CLASSICAL FM STATION ON
    AND I'M RIGHT FOR THE DAY. KEEPS MY MIND FREE OF OTHER THOUGHTS FOE THE DAY, AND LETS ME ENJOY JUST BEING WITH WITH MY CAMERA
    AND BAG OF GOODIES..IE: DIET COKE IS ALWAYS TO BE FOUND IN A SIDE POCKET.HEE HEE
    BUT IF I FORGET MY MP3 PLAYER. ITS A MUST TO TURN BACK AND GO GET IT.
    EACH TO THERE OWN A.
    BY THE WAY THAT ANGLE FINDER LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. MIGHT INVEST IN ONE, ALSO THE WORMER RING THAT FITS ON. MIGHT RESEARCH THAT TOO.
    WISH I HAD OF FOUND GRIN YEARS AGO...........COOL PLACE..:jose
  • Options
    hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Gotta be my media pass sleeve. Nothing hanging around my neck. Its gotta giant safetypin thingy I can hook to a belt loop so its visible, but out of the way!
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Not my favorite, but definitely awesome if a sudden rain shower shows up - a showercap! I just toss it over my camera and I dont' have to freak out. (We get these a lot here in colorado!) Oh, and they're free if you ever stay at a hotel!
  • Options
    PetersCreekPetersCreek Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Just one favorite? That's too tough for me!

Love the BG...camera's hardly ever without it.

However, when I'm shooting in bear country, my .44 is probably my favorite "accessory".

But the one gadget I'm never without while in the field is my Victorinox Swiss Champ. It's saved my bacon many times.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    For me it's my battery grip, I can't image being without it now.

Charlie
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    Jester
    I agree with Pathfinder about the Kinesis cases. I have a couple. They hold the long lens, camera and converter. I just reach in and bring the whole thing out ready to shoot.

I also like my quick releases and plates from KirkPhoto.
  • Options
    ABSABS Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Center-clear makeshift filter
    Here is a homemade center-clear attachment for you fashion/wedding photographers!!!

Made from a piece of milk-jug plastic..........
    Spray paint gray to black for a better light cutoff

http://AndyPix.homestead.com/MISC-1.html
    ABS