Options

Bowling tournament

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited September 6, 2004 in Technique
I have a chance to shoot a bowling tournament but there are difficult questions to answer still. None of them are related to the camera. The problem is "where to stand?"

All lanes will be in-use, so I can't stand behind the foul line to shoot profiles without getting in someone else's way. They won't let me down the aisle on the center divider because I'll be a visual distraction (and might fall!). And there is no space behind the machinery to put myself and shoot through the pins and up the alley.

Any ideas?
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I have a chance to shoot a bowling tournament but there are difficult questions to answer still. None of them are related to the camera. The problem is "where to stand?"

All lanes will be in-use, so I can't stand behind the foul line to shoot profiles without getting in someone else's way. They won't let me down the aisle on the center divider because I'll be a visual distraction (and might fall!). And there is no space behind the machinery to put myself and shoot through the pins and up the alley.

Any ideas?
    I have shot at a bowling alley before and from what you are describing, it sounds hopeless. Bowling alleys are not normally brightly lit and I will expect them to rule against the use of a flash, at the time, even if they have not thought of it yet. You can not get front shots or even profile shots without getting in front of the bowlers where you will be a "visual distraction" You can try to work around that by trying to get permission to use the walkways at the end and by using a long telephoto but I can already guess it won't work very well and/or will not be allowed.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited September 6, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:

Any ideas?
    Perhaps you can get a few shots prior to the start of the tournament?
    This might allow you to go down the lane and grab some candid shots without
    having an impact on play (so to speak).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?