Options

Advize needed on business card

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited March 12, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I am working hard on profiling myself as a photographer. I have been fiddling with a business card. I have four options. Any comments on them would be welcome, I want to go for families and kiddies. They are my main target.
Is nr 2 the way to go?
I can take honest comments, it would mean a lot to me to have a card that actually transmits to people what I can do...
Paper and pen are ready to count votes...
Thanks guys! :scratch

59591601-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Eye-catching cards was my first impression. Since you say you are targeting kids and families, I would have to lean towards #1 and #2. I really like #3, it's too bad there weren't some people walking in that scene like there is in #1. What is the number underneath your name? I could be wrong but it doesn't appear to be a phone number (too many digits, but then I don't know where you live!!! It could be a perfectly valid number if you live somewhere other than the USA!!!). ne_nau.gif oK....i JUST checked and you live in the UK! So excuse my confusion!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Eye-catching cards was my first impression. Since you say you are targeting kids and families, I would have to lean towards #1 and #2. I really like #3, it's too bad there weren't some people walking in that scene like there is in #1. What is the number underneath your name? I could be wrong but it doesn't appear to be a phone number (too many digits, but then I don't know where you live!!! It could be a perfectly valid number if you live somewhere other than the USA!!!). ne_nau.gif oK....i JUST checked and you live in the UK! So excuse my confusion!

It IS My phone number, grin, don't you all call me or I will go broke...
    My husband does not like the first one because he thinks it is too industrial.
    My gut tells me to go for two, but then a lot of friends vote for the sunset.
    I am marking down votes... See what comes out in the end.
    I shall spare you the story of the evening shot, it was horrendous... But good for a nice memory for when I am 90... and tired of shooting munchkins.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I think the type is too overbearing and all over the place. I would make it smaller, less conspicuous and group it together. At least group all the contact info together, maybe keeping the name separate.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think the type is too overbearing and all over the place. I would make it smaller, less conspicuous and group it together. At least group all the contact info together, maybe keeping the name separate.

Sounds very reasonable David... I like the grouping idea.
    I worked for a newspaper for ten years, so I always go for the type and readability first... My small side.
    I will try it out with smaller type... and the grouping. Mind you, I want people to be able to see my name and number without reading glasses! (Even if they are older then 35...):D :D

Thank you very much for the comment. Back to my drawing table!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 12, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    Angelo wrote:

Thanks Angelo, I had never seen that thread. How do I put my question in the business card thread???
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I like number two, it should work well for your target client. Maybe try a different color in the phone number font? White or pale-grey maybe? I think the red ruins the black and white photo.

Malte
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    My Personal Preference
    I like #1 - I think the colors work well from the main portion to the sidebar of photos. #2 is my second... (Coincidentally) but I think the colors on 3 and 4 clash a little with the photos on the side.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Difficult...
    photocat wrote:
    I am working hard on profiling myself as a photographer. I have been fiddling with a business card. I have four options. Any comments on them would be welcome, I want to go for families and kiddies. They are my main target.
    Is nr 2 the way to go?
    I can take honest comments, it would mean a lot to me to have a card that actually transmits to people what I can do...
    Paper and pen are ready to count votes...
    Thanks guys! headscratch.gif

59591601-S.jpg

I'm attracted to Card 2 with the little girl's face, but I don't like the grunge-type red font -- something a little more classic perhaps?

I'd put your phone number with your e-mail and let your name shine on the card...

In the small strip, I'd consider making that a little bigger, and I don't think the silhouette works and I just can't tell what the third photo from the top (smaller images) are at all...

I recently designed a card for Rutt:

42725697-M.jpg

That is similar to your concept.

Rutt sent me one sample, and it came out surprisingly well from Overnight Prints...
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    I recently designed a card for Rutt:

42725697-M.jpg

That is similar to your concept.

Rutt sent me one sample, and it came out surprisingly well from Overnight Prints...[/QUOTE]

Is it 3 on 2.5, the normal business card?
    Your pics look bigger then mine... Shall I take out the silhouette?
    the third pic is horses on a carrousel, but I can believe that it is too small on that size... I can look for another pic.
    I love the card you did for Rutt... I will probably go with Overnight print too (well, not exactly as I am in UK, but heard people who are pleased with them, so I will give it a try).
    Thanks Dee for your comments, thanks to the others too, I am trying to work in all the comments.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    US business card size
    is 3.5 inches wide by 2 inches tall for the horizontal size.

Is the UK size different? I know you use A3 paper instead of our letter size which is 8.5 wide by 11 inches tall, so maybe the business cards are a different size too.

Yes... I'd suggest making your side boxes a little bigger, and using images that look good when reduced. I had a tough time picking out Rutt's photos because they had to look good at "micro" thumbnail size as I call it. I used extra contrast in curves, and extra sharpening since they went down so tiny.

I loved going thru that business card thread, so many different designs. I have to say I love Humungus's card quite a bit, because it's different...

I still haven't done mine!