Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    wow
    andy wrote:
    best deal i've seen in a while: sandisk 1gb card, it's an ultra 2

$99 bucks.

What a price! But I'm confused by claims of "8X" speeds, or MB per second, etc. What is considered a good high-speed CF card? If I ever get a 20D or MkII I'll want a fast card. So how fast is fast?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    What a price! But I'm confused by claims of "8X" speeds, or MB per second, etc. What is considered a good high-speed CF card? If I ever get a 20D or MkII I'll want a fast card. So how fast is fast?

according to rob galbraith this is one really fast card. take a look
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    10d
    andy wrote:

But a 10D does not support write-acceleration on CF cards. Or am I mistaken about that? I've seen some CF cards that claim as much as 8MB/sec. The write-rates on the 10D above are all below 2MB/sec.

Sure would be nice if camera bodies stated "we support write speed up to X MB/sec", and if CF cards stated their maximum write speed.

Am I confused, or is there a lot of misinformation out there about CF card performance?
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    Confused
    The more I look into CF speeds the more confused I get. The San Disk Ultra II 1G card claims a max write speed of 2MB/sec. But on the Rob Galbraith page that shows CF speeds on various cameras, it claims that card has a write speed of near 4MB/sec ona Canon 1D MkII. What gives?

Also, the 512MB Ultra II has a write speed of up to 8MB/sec. Seems like San Disk's cards are all over the map. What am I not understanding?
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2004
    andy wrote:

Dang, they're out of them already. I have a SanDisk Ultra (the orig) 1 gb and am very satisfied, 30K images through my 10D with it in a year. Also have an Ultra 256 and a Viking 512 (the latter isn't a fast card).

Lynne
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    j&r is out but ...
    go to www.buy.com they have them, $95 or there abouts.

i just bought one there.

sigh
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    go to www.buy.com they have them, $95 or there abouts.

i just bought one there.

sigh

I used to buy from them but they were so AWFUL on shipping; only good to buy there when it was a free shipping weekend...still as bad?

Lynne
  • Options
    lynnesite wrote:
    I used to buy from them but they were so AWFUL on shipping; only good to buy there when it was a free shipping weekend...still as bad?

Lynne

Sneaky buggers, I am MAD! The item said free shipping, I bought it and it charged me $5.11 shipping. When I inquired, it said in order to get free shipping I had to have chosen deliberately "Budget Shipping". That is heinous, I have half a mind to cancel the order and never shop there again. Bait and switch, I call that. If an item has free shipping, it should DEFAULT to free shipping. A pox on their heads.

Lynne
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    lynnesite wrote:
    Sneaky buggers, I am MAD! The item said free shipping, I bought it and it charged me $5.11 shipping. When I inquired, it said in order to get free shipping I had to have chosen deliberately "Budget Shipping". That is heinous, I have half a mind to cancel the order and never shop there again. Bait and switch, I call that. If an item has free shipping, it should DEFAULT to free shipping. A pox on their heads.

Lynne
    Lynne, they are all that way. Amazon, etc. I often spend a lot of time figuring out how to go backwards.

I was going to tell you that they have Sandisk CF cards, 1 gb, not ultra, but I don't notice the differenc. They are 81.99 at Buy.com. I think the prices of memory cards, just plain ones is going down and going to stay down. I read something about "a better" product so that now is the time to run out and buy the memory cards, but that they are going to keep going down.

Whatever, I hope the price stays down, enjoy. The shipping you will get for 5.00 will be faster than the budget shipping. Been there, done that, often.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2004
    ultra-II 1G in stock
    andy wrote:
    best deal i've seen in a while: sandisk 1gb card, it's an ultra 2

$99 bucks.

They are now back-in-stock, at $120. Is this still a good buy for that card?
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:
    They are now back-in-stock, at $120. Is this still a good buy for that card?
    Didn't I just answer you? I don't see it. Anyway, I bought one at Buy.com on Sunday, just looked it up, for $95.00, with shipping $101.00. I wouldn't pay more. Those things are coming down all over. Right now, though, at Buy.com, they are back up to $160.00. So your price of 120 is better, but not good. I would only buy it at that price if you need it right now.

And then I would go to dpreview and research the situation to see if someone has it cheaper. I would not want to pay over 101.00 including shipping. Too many deals going on.

Also, buy.com has the regular 1 gb sandisk for 81.00. That is a good price, and free shipping. But it all depends on how bad you want the Ultra, and I don't know if they make any difference. I stand and watch my camera write, so I decided it was worth it to me to pay the difference. $81.00 including shipping is cheap, though.

ginger
  • Options
    Ultra-II 2G for $161!
    SanDisk Ultra-II 2G card on buy.com for $161. Wow!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10362776&loc=101&sp=1
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:

Sorry, I didn't notice that it was a 2 gb card. Actually, I put in the info, they sent me to the page and I just assumed, and one knows what a person who "assumes" is.

However, I am just graduating to a 1 gb card, not sure I would want that much stuff on one card. Guess I am slow that way.

ginger
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    mercphoto wrote:

Looks like they are on backorder. With my past experience w/ buy.com, I'll keep my eye open for a deal at amazon.

If these were in stock, I would have bought one. You just can't pass up this deal.

Dave
  • Options
    2g
    dkapp wrote:
    Looks like they are on backorder...If these were in stock, I would have bought one. You just can't pass up this deal.

If my order says "sent to warehouse" did I get lucky? They were available earlier today and I placed an order.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    mercphoto wrote:
    If my order says "sent to warehouse" did I get lucky? They were available earlier today and I placed an order.

Looks like you got lucky. This is what I see on the page:

On Order
    Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives!

At that price, I can understand why they sold out quick. Congrats on a great price.

Dave
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    Curious...why don't you guys buy this and this, put it together and get 40gb's of space for only $164?

Would seem logical to me. I plan on doing it once i get the funds. I don't believe in buying tons of cards when something like this is available.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    ugh
    Curious...why don't you guys buy this and this, put it together and get 40gb's of space for only $164?

Would seem logical to me. I plan on doing it once i get the funds. I don't believe in buying tons of cards when something like this is available.

I wanted one fast, big card. After that I plan on a portable hard disk system like that. They are cool, and cheap.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins

That's a lot of gear to carry around, especially on the road. Compare the weight and size of that gear to the weight and size of CF cards. And hard drives can be prone to failure, if they get any kind of rough treatment on the road. However, humungus had nothing but good experiences with his portable hard drive. I've thought about it, not ready to take the plunge yet.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    That's a lot of gear to carry around, especially on the road. Compare the weight and size of that gear to the weight and size of CF cards. And hard drives can be prone to failure, if they get any kind of rough treatment on the road. However, humungus had nothing but good experiences with his portable hard drive. I've thought about it, not ready to take the plunge yet.
    This is a good point. I had overlooked the weight factor. But geez...only $164 bucks! iloveyou.gif I bought an Archos Gmini 20gb because I only have (2) 256mb cards and I'll need it. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it. :)
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    This is a good point. I had overlooked the weight factor. But geez...only $164 bucks! iloveyou.gif I bought an Archos Gmini 20gb because I only have (2) 256mb cards and I'll need it. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it. :)
    What are you all talking about? I have been reading this thread. Are you talking about storage? I will be taking a week's trip to DC to visit my daughter and family sometime this fall.

I already know that I will run out of memory, always have, I have three times as much as I used to, but it is kind of like money, one can never have enough.

ginger
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What are you all talking about? I have been reading this thread. Are you talking about storage? I will be taking a week's trip to DC to visit my daughter and family sometime this fall.

I already know that I will run out of memory, always have, I have three times as much as I used to, but it is kind of like money, one can never have enough.

ginger
    I recommended a 40gb portable solution for $164 over the 1gb CF cards. It's a portable hardrive and you stick the CompactFlash card in and press "Copy". It moves all the pics off the CF and onto the Hardrive. Then you can re-use the card again and again until you fill up the 40gb of space. There's a lot of different types out there. Some you put together (my post which is cheaper) and ones that are ready to go out of the box (more expensive) like the Gmini Archos, NixVue and Imagetank. All come in 20,30 and 40gb flavors. You're only limited by the battery life of the portable hardrive (which happens to be a notebook hardrive btw)

• Options
    I recommended a 40gb portable solution for $164 over the 1gb CF cards. It's a portable hardrive and you stick the CompactFlash card in and press "Copy". It moves all the pics off the CF and onto the Hardrive. Then you can re-use the card again and again until you fill up the 40gb of space. There's a lot of different types out there. Some you put together (my post which is cheaper) and ones that are ready to go out of the box (more expensive) like the Gmini Archos, NixVue and Imagetank. All come in 20,30 and 40gb flavors. You're only limited by the battery life of the portable hardrive (which happens to be a notebook hardrive btw)
    Thanks, that sounds like it would fit my needs........... for my once a year trip to my daughter's. If I can afford it then, I will get it.

At that point I would not need to worry about carrying weight. I don't run out of memory in one day, I would hope not since I have two 512s and a 1 gb on the way. But I could run out in a couple of days, I am a shooter, then I worry about the picture later, and I would leave the storage at her place and keep putting the memory in at night, just like charging the batteries. Here I upload my photos every night.

thanks again,
    ginger

ginger
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004

I've got one but only when they were 20GB. Very good for travelling but a very short battery time and a very slow download time. The main problem was if I jogged the hard drive whislt copying it read error and I had to start over. When I got home I had so many files of duplicates, it took ages to sort out. On the plus side it weighs nothing, I could download cards "in the field" because it is battery powered and it took all the abuse I could give it when I was traveling. When Dr IT posted his photos of his bike trip to Austria, I thought to post this, it is better than carrying a laptop around. Even 20 Gb is enough for a serious photo shoot thumb.gif

My XS drive weighs about 10 ounces plus the weight of the charger lead
    Thats not too much weight
  • Options
    I recommended a 40gb portable solution for $164 over the 1gb CF cards. It's a portable hardrive and you stick the CompactFlash card in and press "Copy". It moves all the pics off the CF and onto the Hardrive. Then you can re-use the card again and again until you fill up the 40gb of space.

I'm too paranoid. So just bought 2 1 gb Ultra IIs for $103 each from Amazon, after just starting shooting in RAW. Then I copy the uploaded files to the Mac and then to a 60 gb portable drive before leaving the shoot site usually. That makes 3 1 gb ultras, 1 512 Viking and a 256 ultra. Not enough but at least back up to at least 700 shots/session.

Lynne
  • Options
    lynnesite wrote:
    I'm too paranoid. So just bought 2 1 gb Ultra IIs for $103 each from Amazon, after just starting shooting in RAW. Then I copy the uploaded files to the Mac and then to a 60 gb portable drive before leaving the shoot site usually. That makes 3 1 gb ultras, 1 512 Viking and a 256 ultra. Not enough but at least back up to at least 700 shots/session.

Lynne
    I just bought the 1 gb from buy.com, that with two 512s, that is much less than yours but twice what I had before.

I have already decided that I am not shooting in RAW if I go on a family vacation.

ginger

I would love to go out with my Rebel and shoot in RAW at 100 ASA somewhere beautiful right now..........at almost 11:00 at night. Actually, I would prefer that it be earlier, too, but I would settle for right now.

How many shots does a 1gb get in RAW, about 90?
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have already decided that I am not shooting in RAW if I go on a family vacation.
    I would do the same. I'd rather take more pics of loved ones and special moments anytime over the safety of RAW. But that's just me :D

• Options
    edited September 20, 2004
    Portable hard disks
    I recommended a 40gb portable solution for $164 over the 1gb CF cards. It's a portable hardrive and you stick the CompactFlash card in and press "Copy". It moves all the pics off the CF and onto the Hardrive.

Question: where does it put the files on that hard disk? What I mean is, are all the pictures put in the top level directory? Or is there a new directory created each time you insert a card? The reason I ask is if you reset the file numbering each time you format the card in the camera, then you get identically named files. Or if you have one set of photos from this card, another set from a different card (or second use of the first card), and you want to keep photos grouped.

By the way, my nicely-priced 2G ultra-two card from buy.com, still has not shipped...
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:
    Question: where does it put the files on that hard disk? What I mean is, are all the pictures put in the top level directory? Or is there a new directory created each time you insert a card? The reason I ask is if you reset the file numbering each time you format the card in the camera, then you get identically named files. Or if you have one set of photos from this card, another set from a different card (or second use of the first card), and you want to keep photos grouped.

By the way, my nicely-priced 2G ultra-two card from buy.com, still has not shipped...
    My nicely piced 1 gb card, bought before your 2 gb card, mine has still not shipped and they wonder if I want to take back the order.

I think their offers got ahead of their supplies. Since I don't have a camera, I am ignoring it. I called and I should get my camera back in 7 to 10 days.

Maybe I should hunt for another 1 gb card under 100.00, I couldn't afford the 2 gb even if that were available.

ginger
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    How many shots does a 1gb get in RAW, about 90?
    On my 10D I would get about 166'ish on a 1G flashcard. I would expect your Rebel should be about the same.