Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    perezdesigngroup - hauloverpier
    8663604-S.jpg
    Haulover Pier by PerezDesignGroup.

from andy:

well, this is a good exposure, though i feel it too, could use some pop in color, contrast and sharpness. take another look at my nightshot postprocessing tute, in sid's hall of wisdom.. you have the elements of a good shot, like the ess curve of the pier. unfortunately, there's not enough subject interest here to grab me, at all. gas pumps near, and a treeline far. so, keep looking for more interesting shooting venues! thanks for playing, and contributing.

from gubbs:

The scene is set, it just needs some action to pull you in, but I love the pier, sky, moon & palms thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnma - silent factory
    lynnma wrote:
    Silent Factory

8758501-S.jpg

from andy:

lynn, you went, you stayed up late, you shot. an ok exposure of a dead street in a spooky area of town. though it's a bit dull, eh? nothing there of interest, and without the title, i don't know where i am. the compo is a bit central for my taste. idea: get a few ghosts walking through - 1 or 2 or 3 sec exposure would do the trick. try b&w. go a bit wider. tilt the darn thing. add some ps effect. anything to make me engaged, and to make me think: "don't wanna be there at 2am!"

from gubbs:

While I agree with Andy, I like the emptiness of the late night, and I think this shot captures that clap.gif
  • Options
    lbg - memorial
    LBG wrote:
    6919317-S.jpg

from andy: techinally it's good. compositionally it's a postcard, so there's nothing special about it. harsh? maybe, and while i am encouraging small victories, i want you all to stretch your selves. try another angle, get me some foreground interest, anything to make it more engaging.

thanks for participating and i hope you continue!

from gubbs:

I very nearly selected this one as it is technically very good, but I have to agree with andy. It just didn’t grab me...
  • Options
    lynnesite - clouds
    lynnesite wrote:
    8382923-S.jpg

from andy: cool colors, texture, and they are dramatic on their own but otherwise i'm non-plussed. this makes for good background or something but artistically it does little for me.

yeah, i'm getting harsher as we move along in our challenges!

from gubbs:

Fantastic clouds and a lovely picture, but I felt that it needed a bit more for the challenge
  • Options
    r&r - disney castle
    R&R wrote:
    Taken at Night of Joy 2004

8772516-S.jpg

from andy:

a nicely done shot of a very typical subjet. the crop makes me wonder though, and so i'm less fond of it the more i look at it. would rather the entire scene, people and all, in a wide angle shot. it'd be more impressive i think. still, a nice effort and i thank you for contribuiting - looking for more from you as the challenges progress :D

from gubbs:

I liked the colours and sharpness of the castle against the sky, but immediately felt that too much had been cut off… if you couldn’t go wider maybe just a portrait shot would have been worth a try?? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    snapapple - the movie theater
    snapapple wrote:
    This is a landmark in one of the older sections of San Diego - Kensington. They show "art" films and classics.

8774668-S.jpg

from andy:

snappy, i of course love the idea :D you are close (too close!) imo - try for a wider view, i think it'll help. there's some softness here that bothers me, too. compositionally this photo is challenged by the dark parts foreground right. you have to wait for "the decisive moment" for the people, too. look at my example of the stanford movie theater ...

from gubbs:

Not sure about your choice of subject? (very tough act to follow!) :D
    I like the lighting but I have to agree with andy about going wider and waiting for the moment. May have been better from the other side so that the barrier wasn’t obscuring the people?
  • Options
    pathfinder - col vigo
    pathfinder wrote:
    Edited at a viewers suggestion..... Col Vigo and his Aid to the Revolution

8773391-S.jpg

from andy: bw a good choice here. it's dramatic, has good composition, it's sharp and clear.

from gubbs:

I agree, excellent photograph, and I have to admit, I thought this one would win! Maybe it lacks the atmosphere/mood of some of the other shots?? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    spockling - passage at night
    spockling wrote:
    A Passage at Night
    Night1PP.jpg

from andy: a good effort! try more of an angle next time, less straight on. look for more interest rather than bush shadows in the foreground. follow the instructions in my nightshot post processing tute to get max color, sharpness and pop from your work.

from gubbs:

A good shot and definitely in the spirit of the challenge, but I thinkthat it needed more interest, maybe from different angles as andy suggested or maybe close in on a section so you can pick out the details in the towers and pennants?
  • Options
    bryan - see the boat, mom?
    Bryan wrote:
    8516575-S.jpg

Lake Hubbard. MI
    ISO 1600, 1/30, D-Rebel

from andy: i really liked this photo. the color, the scene, the light=heartedness of it :D congrats on a fine job.

from gubbs:

This was an easy choice for me, lovely shot…. clap.gif
    Is the horizon a couple of degrees out?
  • Options
    rocketman - eatery
    RocketMan wrote:
    Old Town Dockside Eatery
    boat-2-1.jpg

RM

from andy: you're close to a good shot here. i'd prefer it a bit wider, and perhaps shot a bit earlier, to get more color in the sky.

from gubbs:

A really good scene, but I too would prefer to see it wider and maybe with people from the eatery for some extra interest.
  • Options
    seemoon - shanghai
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Shanghai

8783329-S.jpg

from andy: watch the framing /composition - you snipped off the top of one of the buildings. this shot could use some perspective correction, too.

from gubbs:

I like the idea of capturing the photographers, but I think they ended up detracting from the scene. It’s a shame that the top of the tower was clipped too.
  • Options
    altpro - the touch
    AltPro wrote:
    "the touch" a portrait of love, after dark
    ginette

8770151-S.jpg

from andy: not exactly what i had in mind for the challenge, but i chose you anyway becuase i like the thought process that went into the shot and the composition. there's a soft tenderness here, too that 's engaging.

from gubbs:

A lovely touching shot, beautifully lit. "After the sun has gone" didn’t come across strongly enough for me but I thought it would be an excellent entry into the “Alone, Together” challenge :D
This discussion has been closed.