Options

challenge format question

AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited September 27, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
andy wrote:
dgrin challenge 22 is here. it will run from monday, september 20th at 12:01am nyc time, through monday, october 4th at noon nyc time. the guest judge this is going to be the winner of challenge 21, determined by the voters. we'll continue the what we started in challenge 20 for comments and critiques... it's all explained here.
Andy...

Wasn't challenge 20 the "Gallery Method?" If so... Why am I seeing new threads posted? Why can't I locate the Gallery? I thought that I would be able to go to the Challenge 20 Gallery, and find a sub-gallery for 22, or some such thing.... Would be nice if we could bookmark to the same main address each week, and then go there and move forward to the date we need....

Normally I think "I'm not so dim, but not being able to find the posts is making me stir crazy...."

Also...

I have been watching the DP Review of late. There is really something nice in the annonimity when submitting and voting... I really like that you don't know who the person is until it's all over. Eliminates some of the "politics" which inevitably occurs. Just a thought.

ginette
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2004
    hello there, ginnette :D

we've switched now for two challenges, and this is the way we're doing comments and critiques.

you put *challenge XX (photo title) in the title of your thread .

btw - all of the fora on dpreview do their challenges in a different way. don't know which forum you are referring to, but they're all run independently (canon, nikon, sony etc)

AltPro wrote:
    Andy...

Wasn't challenge 20 the "Gallery Method?" If so... Why am I seeing new threads posted? Why can't I locate the Gallery? I thought that I would be able to go to the Challenge 20 Gallery, and find a sub-gallery for 22, or some such thing.... Would be nice if we could bookmark to the same main address each week, and then go there and move forward to the date we need....

Normally I think "I'm not so dim, but not being able to find the posts is making me stir crazy...."

Also...

I have been watching the DP Review of late. There is really something nice in the annonimity when submitting and voting... I really like that you don't know who the person is until it's all over. Eliminates some of the "politics" which inevitably occurs. Just a thought.

ginette
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    AltPro wrote:
    Andy...

ginette

One comment about the challenge format for 22 - Posters seem to create new thread after new thread for different pictures until it is very hard to follow. What I did for Challenge 21, was to create ONE (1) thread for my images - that way I only had to follow my one thread and anyone who wished to see any of my images could find them all in one place with sequential discussion. I could also find other posters threads and do the same.

But now it seems some posters are creating thread after thread after thread - I doubt any of us are going to try to wade through voluminous threads packed with mutliple images in various levels of processing and try to make sense of it all. I think each poster should limit themselves voluntarily to just one thread in which they post their images for discussion. If there are so many images they will not fit in one thread, maybe some edting by the thread owner is appropriate before uploading so many pictures. Just my two cents - any one agree with this suggestion?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    One comment about the challenge format for 22 - Posters seem to create new thread after new thread for different pictures until it is very hard to follow. What I did for Challenge 21, was to create ONE (1) thread for my images - that way I only had to follow my one thread and anyone who wished to see any of my images could find them all in one place with sequential discussion. I could also find other posters threads and do the same.

But now it seems some posters are creating thread after thread after thread - I doubt any of us are going to try to wade through voluminous threads packed with mutliple images in various levels of processing and try to make sense of it all. I think each poster should limit themselves voluntarily to just one thread in which they post their images for discussion. If there are so many images they will not fit in one thread, maybe some edting by the thread owner is appropriate before uploading so many pictures. Just my two cents - any one agree with this suggestion?
    thumb.gif
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    tmlphoto wrote:
    thumb.gif
    Thank you Thank you.

You did post in my thread for challenge 21, TML, and I could easily find your comments and reply to them and even post updated images for repeated comparisons. I truly appreciated your comments. I thought my single thread went very nicely.

I think if we are going to post more than one or two images AS I DID, we need to try to make it interesting and entertaining for our readers also. After all if they are going to give us the courtesy of their views, we should try to be gracious and appreciative and not EXPECT that our viewers owe us their time and effort.

Thank you again TML
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    What I did for Challenge 21, was to create ONE (1) thread for my images - that way I only had to follow my one thread and anyone who wished to see any of my images could find them all in one place with sequential discussion. I could also find other posters threads and do the same.

Your way is the best way, Pathfinder. No need for a new thread for each image. Much easier to have one thread per phtographer. Much, much easier. And far more likely to get comments, because the thread won't get lost.

thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:

I don't participate in the challenges here anymore, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much..but anyway, my 2 cents.

I think the number of new threads created for the challenges is out of control. It makes it hard for me to find the threads I want to read. One thread per photographer is great, one per photo is a pain. I still follow the challenge and vote, so I am interested in having the area "cleaned up" a little.

Dave

Dave
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    I would agree with one thread, if there were some way to change the title, when new stuff was added. It has been my experience that once I post something and it is commented on, well, that is it, and if I post something else, and I post a lot of photos, but they would go on one thread,but when I post something else, it is ignored as people don't know it is new.

Plus I can't take my threads off when I am through with them, or change the title, I have tried both, and I have tried taking the * off and that doesn't work.
    I am basically through with my entry, unless something happens. Now I planned on going around and paying attention to other people's work.

I don't care how it is posted, personally.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2004
    Great idea. I didn't read this thread until after I posted two more, unfortunately. So, I appologize for contributing to the clutter. From now on, I will keep everything in one thread.

Thanks.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I would agree with one thread, if there were some way to change the title, when new stuff was added. It has been my experience that once I post something and it is commented on, well, that is it, and if I post something else, and I post a lot of photos, but they would go on one thread,but when I post something else, it is ignored as people don't know it is new.
    ginger

Ginger, the way we all know something is new is that it jumps to the top of the message thread list. The way you know there's someone new who replied is to look at your thread and look at the "last poster".

Lynne
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Ginger, the way we all know something is new is that it jumps to the top of the message thread list. The way you know there's someone new who replied is to look at your thread and look at the "last poster".

Lynne
    I guess the assumption would be that they don't want to reply, if no one does.

I have started no new threads in this section. Worry not.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Path...
    I agree with you... TOO many Threads, Much to Much to wade through...
    I was away for three days, and arrived back to find far too many threads for me to try and keep up with. Will go through them as I can, but I realize I will fall short... I too think it best to post all of my entries into one thread post...

TTFN
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2004
    Why aren't you participating any more?
    dkapp wrote:
    I don't participate in the challenges here anymore, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much..but anyway, my 2 cents.

Dave
    Dave...

Why have you chosen NOT to participate in the challenges anymore? I am curious, as I have noticed that quite a few "Old Regulars," have dropped off... (Fish, Humungus, Damonoff...) Is there one particular reason? Many? Are they thoughts that you are able to put onto the screen so that they can be discussed, and hopefully, come to a resolution? It saddens me when I see some of the "greats" are no longer posting, and now you've added your name to the list... Please do try and tell us why you've mde this choice...
    ne_nau.gif

Missing the compatriots...
    ginette