Options

*Challenge 22 Alone or Together

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited October 1, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am only going to post this SINGLE THREAD for any images I uplink out of courtesy to other posters here.
I can see that the intepretation of alone or together is being drawn hither and yon, not at all like I originally envisioned it. As a result, I may have a couple of images for consideration - I am as interested in opinions re: appropriateness as well as technical quality. There is no common theme in my images other than the element of seperation or aloneness to me.

The first is a grab shot as I was looking for early morning light to shoot windows....and a single runner ran past while I lunged for my camera on the seat beside me.

9161929-L.jpg

The second shot I first saw in my rear view mirror as I was driving home last weekend and stopped at the top of a hill to capture the sunset and the solitary car on the empty road climbing towards me.

9161441-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    R&RR&R Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    Pathfinder

I really like your second shot. The sunset and the long road with only one vehicle truly captures the theme. Great picture.

Rich
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    R&R wrote:
    Pathfinder

I really like your second shot. The sunset and the long road with only one vehicle truly captures the theme. Great picture.

Rich

Me, Too, Pathfinder!

ginger

PS, thanks for the info on the 50% grey trick,passed on from Cletus. I was just filing things, filed that, and was going to PM you thanks, but here "thanks".

I agree with R&R, lonely car, lonely road.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am only going to post this SINGLE THREAD for any images I uplink out of courtesy to other posters here.
    I can see that the intepretation of alone or together is being drawn hither and yon, not at all like I originally envisioned it. As a result, I may have a couple of images for consideration - I am as interested in opinions re: appropriateness as well as technical quality. There is no common theme in my images other than the element of seperation or aloneness to me.

The first is a grab shot as I was looking for early morning light to shoot windows....and a the single runner ran past while I lunged for my camera on the seat beside me.

The second shot I first saw in my rear view mirror as I was driving home last weekend and stopped at the top of a hill to capture the sunset and the solitary car on the empty road climbing towards me.

9161441-S.jpg

Pathfinder,
    I like the second shot. I think it conveys the message of "alone" very well. I like the composition, the way the road leads into the picture. Nice sunset too BTW. I think the first shot is a little too busy.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    Wow, the colors in the sunset are great!

I would go with the second.

It is perfect for the theme and it is also an outstanding photo!
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    I like #2 path. What do you think about cropping a little off of the left side and the top?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I like #2 path. What do you think about cropping a little off of the left side and the top?

I am not sure about your cropping suggestions,TML - I have an appointment right now - maybe I can give it a go this evening.

I hate to crop off the color in the sunset up above, perhaps a little on the left might fly hmmmm. Your are trying to move the car into the lower left 1/3 position - right? I have another version of #2 with the vehicle being more prominent - I was not sure I liked it as well. I will post more after supper.

I thought the runnner looked alone - yes, Snappy I agree the image is busy - it was a grab as he ran by - I actually shot 4 or 5 frames and thought this one was the best with the flower shop in the background. Alone, but not terribly artisitic or interesting, I guess. ne_nau.gif

Thank you for your suggestions.

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:

The first is a grab shot as I was looking for early morning light to shoot windows....and a single runner ran past while I lunged for my camera on the seat beside me.

Path... I like the first shot more than the second.. the second one is good but I know your work and this one does'nt grab me personally... corse.. that just me. :smooch
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    I like the second shot more...the car just seems more isolated and alone than the runner
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Here is #2 cropped slightly along the top and on the left as requested - bringing the car into the Lower Left 1/3 position better. It also has less darkness along the left border as a result also. I think you have a good cropping eye TML 1drink.gif
    9196871-L.jpg

I do not have any infants here thumb.gif , so I feel at a significant disadvantage ( I felt sure together would involve lovers or small children somehow) , but I do have a solitary fisherman
    9196517-L.jpg

and a window with a small neon sign that connotes to me somehow that it is lonely..... It appeals to my sensitive feminine side I think :D

9196532-L.jpg

I continue to desire criticism of appropriateness and technical quality.
    deal.gif

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    Path, I do like the new crop on the lone car shot. I think it adds to the drama of the shot alot. Its a very nice shot, but not quite a bullseye. Not sure really why. I know you hate to lose anymore of the sky/sunset, but compositionally I think it would be stronger with even less sky.

The fisherman shot is an interesting angle. Do you think B&W or something else to give it a little more drama. The guy just doesn't look lonely enough:D . Sorry I don't have more concrete suggestions for this one.

Not sure the window looks lonely, but who knows.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Path, I do like the new crop on the lone car shot. I think it adds to the drama of the shot alot. Its a very nice shot, but not quite a bullseye. Not sure really why. I know you hate to lose anymore of the sky/sunset, but compositionally I think it would be stronger with even less sky.

The fisherman shot is an interesting angle. Do you think B&W or something else to give it a little more drama. The guy just doesn't look lonely enough:D . Sorry I don't have more concrete suggestions for this one.

Not sure the window looks lonely, but who knows.

Thanks Thomas - you're just not cruel enough rolleyes1.gif

I have not tried the fisherman in B&W - I'll see how that goes. The lone car I really shot for the sunset, but noticed the solitary car as an afterthought.

The window appeals to me, but it is not a winning challenge shot I agree.

Not sure any of them are yet. But I am leaving for W Virginia in a couple of days, so I need to finish my entry soon or sit this one out. It is time for two wheel travelling on mountain roads again.
    clap.gif

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Pathfinder, on the car I am afraid that the criticism could be that the trees do not show any detail, they are so underexposed.

The first shot, the runner, I just don't feel engaged with, but that could be me and just my opinion.

The fisherman looks cramped in the corner, IMO, also, I wish he had his fishing rod a bit up. Might be just me.

Oh, yes, I agree on the window. The neon thing.........I do like that, I don't like the stuff on the bottom right, I think it detracts. And I don't think the neon thing is going to be enough.

I hope and think you might have a shot in you to come.

I feel terrible not saying that I love anything. If the trees were exposed so that they were not completely black, they might be distracting.

Heck, everyone said that people like to their friends to tell it like it is.

I will say that Andy did show us a shot he took one night, about 10 PM if memory serves me, and there was underexposure in that, he said that was OK, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I am always looking for the negative these days, in that I hate to give my shot away with an obvious flaw. I don't know.

See what others say, keep your camera close by you, and wing it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    etblissetbliss Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

9161929-L.jpg

9161441-L.jpg
    Just when you need about 10K of strobe! Drop back 10 and crop, and tweak. Good shot! But damn those shadows!
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    I really like the cropped version of the car!!

Of the second two, I like the fisherman better, but it seems like it doesn't impress me as much as the picture of the car does.
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    I like the cropped version of the car also...A LOT! The fisherman is good...I'd like to see that one black and white too. Something tells me that man isn't really feeling alone.mwink.gif

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    well, take everything with a grain of salt because at the end of the day, everyone is going to have their own idea of what is good and bad.

So far looking at all the photos, I would give your cropped version of the car shot top scores.

I mean it captures the theme perfectly, a lonely car on a lonely road, the sunset is just extra goodies for the eye, its really a good picture for my tastes, something I wish I was able to catch.

I am not fond of the fisher one, and the neon sign one is very cool indeed, but I am a sucker for th normal format of pics, so your unorthodox croping (really tall and narrow) don't work for me.

The only rypes of uncommon crops that I usually can get into are stitched panoramas. But when you make it vertical it turns me off. hehe.

1drink.gif
  • Options
    Here, I like this better:

LonelyWindowCropped.jpg

deal.gif
  • Options
    ish wrote:
    Here, I like this better:

LonelyWindowCropped.jpg

deal.gif

Here is my version of the window without the canopy....
    9206016-L.jpg Not a great deal of difference - I took the opportunity to darken the reflections in the window as I didn't feel they added any value ...... and I increased the saturation of the neon pelican

Ginger and others have commented how black the trees are in the cropped shot of the car and the sunset - I have another exposure with more detail in the trees but I am not connvinced it is a better image because of the greater detail in the trees... This takes a monitor that can display a really good grey scale to see tho.... Here it is ...but I don't like it as well...
    9161439-L.jpg

And the fisherman suffers a loss of interest in B&W I believe - I lose some of the depth of tonality in the water and the bright red hat as an accent note also.
    9206017-L.jpg

Once again I want to thank all of you who have voluteered opinions and suggestions. This is so great to be able to banter back and forth and help each other. clap.gif
    I am afraid that the cropped image of the solitary car coming up the empty highway may the most appropriate shot for the challenge so far. drums.gif

9196871-M.jpg

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:

Once again I want to thank all of you who have voluteered opinions and suggestions. This is so great to be able to banter back and forth and help each other. clap.gif
    I am afraid that the cropped image of the solitary car coming up the empty highway may the most appropriate shot for the challenge so far. drums.gif

9196871-S.jpg
    Hi Pathfinder,

I really like this one, and whilst its true, there's a lot of black, I think that adds to the lonely mood of the shot, the car seems more isolated than the one with more detail!
  • Options
    gubbs wrote:
    Hi Pathfinder,

I really like this one, and whilst its true, there's a lot of black, I think that adds to the lonely mood of the shot, the car seems more isolated than the one with more detail!
    Thanks for the kind words, Gubbs. I thinkyou have expressed why I prefer the darker shadow also. I just did not seem to verbalize it well as you did. Thanks so much thumb.gif

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    Sorry I'm a little late, Pathfinder...
    ...I just read through this whole thing. I liked the shot of the car from the beginning. I did wonder if the shadows were too dark or not. I've seen similar dark silouette shots though. Now that I've seen the shot with more detail, my suspicions are confirmed. The detail just detracts. I like the crop idea too. So, that's my favorite, FWIW.

BTW, thanks for your nice comments on my "Each Alone" shot. Did my black and white conversion with grain look OK? I'm still searching around for the best and easiest methods. I got this book with a CD of add-ons for Photoshop Elements by Richard Lynch. I'm still trying to learn his chanel mixer method. Pretty complex. But, I can't afford Photoshop CS.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    I agree with the comments that prefer the trees dark.

I think detail in the trees just detract form the subject. The trees are not the subject and the car seems more alone if it is Dark. It contributes to the mood.
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    I love the cropped car! Great colors in the sky and road. I agree with the darkness contributing to the lonliness of the car. Nice job, I really, really like this one!!:D
  • Options
    snapapple wrote:
    ...I just read through this whole thing. I liked the shot of the car from the beginning. I did wonder if the shadows were too dark or not. I've seen similar dark silouette shots though. Now that I've seen the shot with more detail, my suspicions are confirmed. The detail just detracts. I like the crop idea too. So, that's my favorite, FWIW.

BTW, thanks for your nice comments on my "Each Alone" shot. Did my black and white conversion with grain look OK? I'm still searching around for the best and easiest methods. I got this book with a CD of add-ons for Photoshop Elements by Richard Lynch. I'm still trying to learn his chanel mixer method. Pretty complex. But, I can't afford Photoshop CS.
    My preferred method for B&W conversion uses the luminosity channel from the LAB color space and then multiplies it with a solid color layer and I do not know if this possible in Elements at all. :cry

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    Very Nice...
    Oh Path...

I too just read through your entire thread... and though you've heard many of them already... Thought I'd reiterate or stress a few...
    • Mmm, the Runner is just not grabbing me at all... In any way, except for pleasing colors...
    • The window, is cool, but I'm not sure that it really says much, to me...
    • the fisherman is nice... but definately does not speak of lonliness.... But then, I am not so sure that "Loneliness" is the topic... I thought it was "Alone or Together?" Now while it would work... It really is NOT your best of the lot.
    • Now the car on the road... that one had me from the get go... instantly I thought, time to stop and work through this one... It's gonna be a keeper... Right from the beginning, it was the brightness of the cars headlamps reflecting on the wet pavement, enveloped by the bleakness of the surrounding black, and framed with the hope of the sky's beautifu colors. It thoroughly screams, "alone." I too would have messed with the crop, looking at it several ways... I think you're close, darn close, if you haven't already nailed it... Terrific job Path!

Another member of the "Mutual Admiration Society,"
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AltPro wrote:
    Oh Path...

I too just read through your entire thread... and though you've heard many of them already... Thought I'd reiterate or stress a few...
    • Mmm, the Runner is just not grabbing me at all... In any way, except for pleasing colors...
    • The window, is cool, but I'm not sure that it really says much, to me...
    • the fisherman is nice... but definately does not speak of lonliness.... But then, I am not so sure that "Loneliness" is the topic... I thought it was "Alone or Together?" Now while it would work... It really is NOT your best of the lot.
    • Now the car on the road... that one had me from the get go... instantly I thought, time to stop and work through this one... It's gonna be a keeper... Right from the beginning, it was the brightness of the cars headlamps reflecting on the wet pavement, enveloped by the bleakness of the surrounding black, and framed with the hope of the sky's beautifu colors. It thoroughly screams, "alone." I too would have messed with the crop, looking at it several ways... I think you're close, darn close, if you haven't already nailed it... Terrific job Path!

Another member of the "Mutual Admiration Society,"
    ginette

Wow, thanks Ginette. I am flattered.
    lol3.gif

• Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    My preferred method for B&W conversion uses the luminosity channel from the LAB color space and then multiplies it with a solid color layer and I do not know if this possible in Elements at all. :cry
    I'm at work at the moment so can't play, but could you explain a bit more about this? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I'm at work at the moment so can't play, but could you explain a bit more about this? thumb.gif

I'll try to post this method again later, but I probably will not get to it for a week or so - I am leaving in the AM for two-wheeling in the hills of West Virginia
    1drink.gif

• Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I'll try to post this method again later, but I probably will not get to it for a week or so - I am leaving in the AM for two-wheeling in the hills of West Virginia
    1drink.gif
    Sounds good!