Options

*Challenge 22: Lynnesite's Picks

lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
edited October 4, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's a few alones/togethers from Sunday to Monday, the show was Cavalia <http://www.cavalia.net&gt; which is touring around the country for 3 years:
Together: a pas de deux
8975154-L-1.jpg

Alone:
8974977-L-1.jpg

Together:
8975630-M-1.jpg

and this one could use some more post, I know:
9061063-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited September 27, 2004
    addendum
    No shooting allowed during the show, BTW, it was at a press preview--absolutely worth the dough they're asking, to see the full show. The vertical shot I hope will be a magazine cover, hence all that masthead room. Not much lighting and it was challenging to operate my camera in the pitch dark, ISO 800 was the best I could do.
  • Options
    and the inevitable one of my horses: together
    9063065-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Those are gorgeous pictures, Lynn. I thought you would have a good one for this challenge, but never dreamed of that group.:D

Did you shoot them RAW? I was at a concert last night, the best I could do was 1600, and some of those shutter speeds were in fractions, some went all the way up 1/30. I guess they are all fractions, I mean slow, slow like 1/4th and stuff. I would usually get a keeper out of about 4 shots.

Shooting in RAW, I was lacking in memory, though, so I deleted a lot. I am buying one more 1 gb card. That will have to do it. I know you bought some, too, a bit back.

Those are gorgeous photographs.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Those are gorgeous pictures, Lynn. I thought you would have a good one for this challenge, but never dreamed of that group.:D

Did you shoot them RAW? I was at a concert last night, the best I could do was 1600, and some of those shutter speeds were in fractions, some went all the way up 1/30. I guess they are all fractions, I mean slow, slow like 1/4th and stuff. I would usually get a keeper out of about 4 shots.

Shooting in RAW, I was lacking in memory, though, so I deleted a lot. I am buying one more 1 gb card. That will have to do it. I know you bought some, too, a bit back.

Those are gorgeous photographs.

ginger

Thanks, Ginger. I don't know if I'll enter any of them. You bet they were RAW, all of them. I bought 3 1gb cards last week, I started shooting RAW when you did. Ka-ching! It's really hard to shoot handheld under those conditions. Did some nice motion blurs though. Still struggling with the best way to process a bunch of images in RAW, shot an event yesterday and am like a deer in the headlights about how to deal with them. CS browser/automate, spend the $ on C1 pro...Photo Mechanic or iView at least makes browsing them and deleting easy.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    Great horse pics as ussual, I like the one of your beautiful horses best. the one with the two riders riding away from you would have really been great if one of the riders had looked off to the side or something so there was at least a bit of a face. But it does invoke some feeling the way it is (like they are leaving you).

Some time back on another forum I visit, from time to time, a person asked if there were any equestrian (sp?) photographers who could do some commissioned work for them. I recommended you becasuse of your great shots and sent them a link to your site. I wondered if they ever contacted you.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    The top three are all beautiful images. I happen to like the vertical one the most. I can see everything I need to, great pose, the exposure's nice, it all works. The top one, the only thing I'd prefer is to see her face. Very effective lighting work. The second one is really powerful, you've done some nice processing on it. Again, personally, I wouldn't mind seeing her face a bit more, dunno if you deliberately kept her darker so as to emphasize the horse. Really, really nice images.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    I persoannly like the lighting and overall feel of the first one. I generally tend to prefer off center shots, but the way this one is centered does not bother me and I like all of the colors.

I did some noise removal cause it was very noisy, and this is what I got:

8975154-L-1_filtered.jpg

:D
  • Options
    GREAPER wrote:
    Great horse pics as ussual, I like the one of your beautiful horses best. the one with the two riders riding away from you would have really been great if one of the riders had looked off to the side or something so there was at least a bit of a face. But it does invoke some feeling the way it is (like they are leaving you).

Some time back on another forum I visit, from time to time, a person asked if there were any equestrian (sp?) photographers who could do some commissioned work for them. I recommended you becasuse of your great shots and sent them a link to your site. I wondered if they ever contacted you.

Thanks, Greap--the charros wanted to pose for me, but I was doing saddle fitting/documenting it (and wishing like heck I could shoot them instead), and only got to steal that one shot as they rode away.

Thanks for the recommendation! I do a lot of private work, even have some international gigs pending.
  • Options
    ish wrote:
    I persoannly like the lighting and overall feel of the first one. I generally tend to prefer off center shots, but the way this one is centered does not bother me and I like all of the colors.

I did some noise removal cause it was very noisy, and this is what I got:

8975154-s-1_filtered.jpg

:D

What tool did you use, Ish? It sure was noisy, ISO 800 and though I used Dfine, I hadn't spent any time optimizing it. My first week in RAW and I'm not very accomplished at it yet. Thanks for your welcome comments.

Lynne
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    The top three are all beautiful images. I happen to like the vertical one the most. I can see everything I need to, great pose, the exposure's nice, it all works. The top one, the only thing I'd prefer is to see her face. Very effective lighting work. The second one is really powerful, you've done some nice processing on it. Again, personally, I wouldn't mind seeing her face a bit more, dunno if you deliberately kept her darker so as to emphasize the horse. Really, really nice images.

Appreciate the comments Sid--the mirror ride is done in what is almost darkness, a few pools of light on stage whereas the vertical shot's activity is way more lit. It was a fantastic challenge to anticipate the lighting, and choose how to meter--most of the time I left the lens on wide open (either 2.8 or 1.8 depending on the lens) and tried very hard for a middling tone. I would *love* to see her face more. I would also like to have a 9 fps camera! mwink.gif The staging/lighting of their performance is amazing, the founder is from the early years of Cirque du Soleil.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2004
    So nice...
    Lynne...

As usual, I never tire of your horse portraits... Love to see all that you do... These two are my favorites, and for very different reasons.

Your babies, I love for the tonal range, detail in the flesh and coat of the necks, the musculature and the veining, the shadows of the ears, the overall feel of "mother and child."

9063065-S.jpg

This one, I love the Renaissance feel, the near painted quality of the overall photograph that lends perfectly to the light, composition, and body language of the subject and the emotion it exudes. The use of lighting vs shadow graces the folds of her gown... You used the available lighting wonderfully, and it is obvious that you were "there," on target with the subject. Really wonderful.

The only negative? You lost the back foot, cramped the subjects groundfall shadow... It needed a wee bit more room in the foreground... Still...

I envy your talent with the horse photography...
    Kudos

ginette

8974977-S-1.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    I used a freeware noise removal program called "Noiseware" (Community Edition)

I will track down the download site...

:)
    lynnesite wrote:
    What tool did you use, Ish? It sure was noisy, ISO 800 and though I used Dfine, I hadn't spent any time optimizing it. My first week in RAW and I'm not very accomplished at it yet. Thanks for your welcome comments.

Lynne
  • Options
    ish wrote:
    I used a freeware noise removal program called "Noiseware" (Community Edition)

I will track down the download site...

:)

thanks, Ish--I went back on it with Dfine and did more aggressive stuff to get the noise down. Chrominance and luminance noise is its specialty, but using the camera's profile as I usually do wasn't enough. Should have done some of it processing in RAW too I suspect, using the advanced options.

Lynne
    on a Mac
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Lynne...

As usual, I never tire of your horse portraits... Love to see all that you do... These two are my favorites, and for very different reasons.

Your babies, I love for the tonal range, detail in the flesh and coat of the necks, the musculature and the veining, the shadows of the ears, the overall feel of "mother and child."

9063065-S.jpg I envy your talent with the horse photography...
    Kudos

ginette

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, as it happens I got to shoot again at that venue on Wednesday. I offer these two of the horses instead, shot since:
    together
    9344462-L.jpg
    alone
    9356237-L.jpg

I think the alone one might be more powerful for the theme, though the together one is a good stock image.

Lynne
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughtful comments, as it happens I got to shoot again at that venue on Wednesday. I offer these two of the horses instead, shot since:
    together
    9344462-S.jpg

Lynne

Lynne,

I like the Together shot the best. It has more emotional appeal for me. The alone shot has no sky and no real context. Just my opinion. As usual, your shots are all beautiful. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    Lynne:
    While I really like the first image, of the mare and her foal... The foals ear, blocking the mares nostril, somehow bothers me... But it's so close to being absolutely perfect... If only the foal were an inch and a half to the left in the frame... (Love the piece of hay hanging from little bits mouth...)
    9344462-S.jpg
    This one is really nice... I like it... a lot. And you're right... I do think it will be on target for the challenge... I still haven't taken one yet.

Bonne chance.
    ginette

9356237-S.jpg
    Beautiful, Lynne!!!
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Lynne,

I like the Together shot the best. It has more emotional appeal for me. The alone shot has no sky and no real context. Just my opinion. As usual, your shots are all beautiful. :D

Thanks, snappy. The starkness of the image along with the dust suggesting she was left alone seemed to fit the theme. I appreciate your comment and I LOVE your entry for this one. It's a winner.