Options

i"d love to see your woodpecker

2»

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    if you look hard enuff, you might find a pecker...
    It wasnt until recently that I even knew where to find a pecker....

troy

Yeah but I only had to go out on my back deck to find this morning dove. I know I've never seen a visable pecker on my back deck . . . .rolleyes1.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    MORE PECKERS FROM TODAY!

50773146-L.jpg

50773131-L.jpg

50773153-L.jpg

I HOPE YOU LIKE MY PECKERS...

TROY
  • Options
    babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    OMG! I thought this place was family friendly! hehehe And here I come along to see you all showing eachother your peckers?!?! :D
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    OMG! I thought this place was family friendly! hehehe And here I come along to see you all showing eachother your peckers?!?! :D

Dgrin is an excellent site for all ages . It is very family friendly. Dgrin encourages family participation. As a mater of fact even my son Andrew has recently started his own pecker collection.

Thanx for looking!!!

troy
  • Options
    babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    Dgrin is an excellent site for all ages . It is very family friendly. Dgrin encourages family participation. As a mater of fact even my son Andrew has recently started his own pecker collection.

Thanx for looking!!!

troy

Laughing.gif That is just SO wrong! hehehehe now you are encouraging your child to show EVERYONE on the net his pecker?!?! :Deek7.gifne_nau.gif
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    my new interest is in peckers.... eek7.gif

so now that you saw mine, can I see your pecker?
    Ladies, dont be afriad to show of your peckers also...
    troy

A new pecker at my feeder - is this the "Red-Bellied Woodpecker"?

BTW, there are still a lot of Peckers missing from this collection..... I believe that some of you are not willing to show your pecker... All jokes aside...... It would be nice if I could see some more examples of peckers - so dont be shy.....

52757652-L.jpg

troy
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    heres my one and only pecker :cry

DSC00058copy-vi.jpg

I'd love to have more peckers, maybe bigger peckers! but they've all left for the winter :cry
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Here's My Woody
    52351531-L.jpg

51543149-L.jpg

51564980-L.jpg
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    When this thread first appeared, I immediately went outside and constructed a pecker feeder. It consists of three medium-sized holes filled with home-made suet. My dog found the suet very tasty, but luckily I managed to salvage some for the peckers.

It took a long time before peckers found the courage to indulge in some tasty goodness, but here's proof that they did.

This photo is largely for documentation purposes. It was taken through a fairly dirty bedroom window.

post-3-1137430563.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    When this thread first appeared, I immediately went outside and constructed a pecker feeder. It consists of three medium-sized holes filled with home-made suet. My dog found the suet very tasty, but luckily I managed to salvage some for the peckers.

It took a long time before peckers found the courage to indulge in some tasty goodness, but here's proof that they did.

This photo is largely for documentation purposes. It was taken through a fairly dirty bedroom window.

post-3-1137430563.jpg

ya know - your post is VERY INFORMATIVE! ive seen those sold in petshops and wondered what they were for - now I know. and the feeder makes for a more natural environmental picture than the tube feeder ive been using.

thanx for posting!

troy
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    heres my one and only pecker :cry

DSC00058copy-vi.jpg

I'd love to have more peckers, maybe bigger peckers! but they've all left for the winter :cry

well thanx for sharing! btw, doesnt AJ have a few peckers? you can maybe talk him into sharing his......

thanx again!

troy
  • Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Wow, thanks!

Just a few more details in case you want to try this yourself... the log is about 2 inches in diameter and the holes are kind of vertically shaped, about an inch long, and go completely through the log. There is actually a natural perch on the backside of this feeder that you can absolutely not see due to the angle of the shot here. The hook was obtained at Home Depot for about $1. The log was in and amongst some firewood recently dropped off by the inlaws (Thanks!).

The suet is equal parts lard and peanut butter with bits of raisin, millet seed, cornmeal, and a crunched up granola bar. Heat the lard/peanut butter over low heat until liquid, then stir in the rest of the stuff. Shove it in the holes, and you're peckers will surely be happy. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2006
    a nicely posed pecker from this morning....
    54316271-L.jpg

troy
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    a recent woodpecker image....

BTW, would love to see more northern flickers.......

66853915-L.jpg

troy
  • Options
    SamuraiJackSamuraiJack Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    You guys remind me of high schoolers. It's sad that "peckers" are all you have to joke about. It's not really funny or appropriate for this forum I would think.

The pictures themselves are great, but please no more refrences to body parts. It's stupid to look at a picture of a bird and see "this is the hugest pecker you have ever seen" in post after post.

High schoolers... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Wes Stewart
    Canon 20D
    580ex
    Canon 50 f1.8 MkII
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    www.pbase.com/wesstewart
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    Wow, thanks!

Just a few more details in case you want to try this yourself... the log is about 2 inches in diameter and the holes are kind of vertically shaped, about an inch long, and go completely through the log. There is actually a natural perch on the backside of this feeder that you can absolutely not see due to the angle of the shot here. The hook was obtained at Home Depot for about $1. The log was in and amongst some firewood recently dropped off by the inlaws (Thanks!).

The suet is equal parts lard and peanut butter with bits of raisin, millet seed, cornmeal, and a crunched up granola bar. Heat the lard/peanut butter over low heat until liquid, then stir in the rest of the stuff. Shove it in the holes, and you're peckers will surely be happy. eek7.gif

good info, thanx for sharing.....

troy
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    You guys remind me of high schoolers. It's sad that "peckers" are all you have to joke about. It's not really funny or appropriate for this forum I would think.

The pictures themselves are great, but please no more refrences to body parts. It's stupid to look at a picture of a bird and see "this is the hugest pecker you have ever seen" in post after post.

High schoolers... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Good point Jack. I've edited the title to correct the situation (somthing I should have done earlier but I hate to be too intrusive).
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SamuraiJackSamuraiJack Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Good point Jack. I've edited the title to correct the situation (somthing I should have done earlier but I hate to be too intrusive).

Thanks, the title is much better now. I hate to be a "stickler" and break up the fun, but it just didn't seem appropriate to me at all.

On a better note, please post more woodpecker pictures. They are all fantastic.
    Wes Stewart
    Canon 20D
    580ex
    Canon 50 f1.8 MkII
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    www.pbase.com/wesstewart
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Superb! Nice work.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."