Options

scrathed lens ! need help!!!

ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited May 4, 2006 in Cameras
My lens got scratched on my last trip...is there a possibility that i can remove the scratch ?:dunno
nikon d70s, 135~400mm f4.5~5.6 APO Sigma, 18~70mm AF-S Nikkor, Sigma 2x Teleconverter, SB-600 Flash, 77mm CPL :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:
    My lens got scratched on my last trip...is there a possibility that i can remove the scratch ?ne_nau.gif
    Light scratches wont really impact images they can cause flare, ghosting, and contrast loss. Canon or Nikon replace front elements often enough that its pretty cheap from what I understand. I would get a quote from them before attempting anything.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Light scratches wont really impact images they can cause flare, ghosting, and contrast loss. Canon or Nikon replace front elements often enough that its pretty cheap from what I understand. I would get a quote from them before attempting anything.

Also, i'd prove that it affects your photo before you invest in the repair.

My Tamron 28-75 has front element pitting. Not sure how it happened, but there's little white specs that look like dust, but don't come out. (not many, only 7-10 of them, scattered.

Have I ever seen one on a photo? Nope. Definitely seen dust on the sensor though.

Front element = not important.
    Rear element until sensor = critical.

Not worth the repair IMHO.

Photos of the scratch? (maybe its' a giant gouge)
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited May 3, 2006
    While all of these replies is good, if the lens is not worth repair but worth keeping, and if the scratch is deep enough to cause problems, you can minimize the problems by "filling" the scratch.

Some large antique lenses had bubbles and other surface anomalies which the manufacturers simply filled with black paint. This serves to mask the problem and prevent most of it's affect.

Anyone familiar with gravure printing can coach you on the process, or you can read about it on the "Net".

http://glossary.ippaper.com/default.asp?req=knowledge/article/152
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While all of these replies is good, if the lens is not worth repair but worth keeping, and if the scratch is deep enough to cause problems, you can minimize the problems by "filling" the scratch.

Some large antique lenses had bubbles and other surface anomalies which the manufacturers simply filled with black paint. This serves to mask the problem and prevent most of it's affect.

Anyone familiar with gravure printing can coach you on the process, or you can read about it on the "Net".

http://glossary.ippaper.com/default.asp?req=knowledge/article/152

100 Points for that answer.

I'd totally forgotten that they used to do that.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    100 Points for that answer.

I'd totally forgotten that they used to do that.

Thanks Scott.

Notice that I used the word "antique"? I guess I pretty well date myself with this response. (... and I make a pretty terrible date, if I do say so myself, which apparently I just did, so I'll shut up now. :D )

See how old people just go on and on ...?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate everyones opinion about my problem. That tiny scratch did not affect the quality of my pics, i've tried it several times yesterday...the results are great, no glares or anything on the pictures..thank you so much!:): i'll forget investing on repair clap.gif .
    nikon d70s, 135~400mm f4.5~5.6 APO Sigma, 18~70mm AF-S Nikkor, Sigma 2x Teleconverter, SB-600 Flash, 77mm CPL :thumb
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:
    Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate everyones opinion about my problem. That tiny scratch did not affect the quality of my pics, i've tried it several times yesterday...the results are great, no glares or anything on the pictures..thank you so much!:): i'll forget investing on repair clap.gif .

That's great news!

Next time, scratch your back instead, or better still, scratch the back of someone great looking of the opposite gender. Yeah, that's the ticket.

:D

ziggy53
    ziggy53