Options

Starexplorer like tool for unix/linux

samyasamya Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
Is there a star-explorer like tool for unix/linux?

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    samya wrote:
    Is there a star-explorer like tool for unix/linux?
    How about rutt's python script - that should run in linux. Lacks a GUI and is for uploads only as far as I know, but last time I checked it had some useful features to synchronize your local folders with smugmug galleries.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    Hmm....
    Will it be a good idea to develop something that will have similar functionality for *nix/Mac. Say, something with perl/Tk, so that it can run on all platforms? Any takers/volunteers?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 24, 2006
    Hi Sayma,

I have been developing a Firefox extension for Smugmug for some time, that works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Hoping to release it in the next month or so.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Sayma,

I have been developing a Firefox extension for Smugmug for some time, that works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Hoping to release it in the next month or so.

Cheers,

David
    That will be soooooo.... coool.....
    Can I help in some way? Testing?

I cooked up a standalone smugmug browser using perl/Tk last night. I'll add editing support to it when I get a few hours free. I haven't packaged it yet, but give it a shot if you have some time to see if it works. You'll need two files that you can download from:
    http://samya.indiangeek.com/smugmug/
    run the gui.pl , then use the Get to get your album info.
    You'll need perl::Tk and perl::LWP installed on your system.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    samya wrote:
    Hmm....
    Will it be a good idea to develop something that will have similar functionality for *nix/Mac. Say, something with perl/Tk, so that it can run on all platforms? Any takers/volunteers?
    Python, perl/Tk, REAL Basic, Code Warrior, lots of ways to make a program multi-platform capable. Anyone, anyone?

But to answer your question, yes it woud be a good idea to develop something that is cross-platform. Smugmug is a web-based service. The web is accessible from any number of operating systems. Its a shame the best tools only seem to work on one operating system.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Python, perl/Tk, REAL Basic, Code Warrior, lots of ways to make a program multi-platform capable. Anyone, anyone?

Okay, I'll extend my perl/Tk script and add editing feature, and will try to make it more professional.

It will be a good idea if people with perl/Tk knowledge can chime in and help me out (I'm a novice on perl/Tk, but am better at it than any other cross-platform way). I'm going to open a sourceforge project for this, and am going to check it in.

But before that, can someone volunteer and check it out and give me the confidence that it's a step in the correct direction.
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    samya wrote:
    Okay, I'll extend my perl/Tk script and add editing feature, and will try to make it more professional.

It will be a good idea if people with perl/Tk knowledge can chime in and help me out (I'm a novice on perl/Tk, but am better at it than any other cross-platform way). I'm going to open a sourceforge project for this, and am going to check it in.

But before that, can someone volunteer and check it out and give me the confidence that it's a step in the correct direction.

I will try to take a look at it later today/ tonight.

I wrote a text only perl script to access the REST API so I can create a database of my photos and make sure I have them uploaded properly (checking file size and md5checksum). I plan to also use this data to build a local copy of my SM orginization for creating backups. I am also adding a method to export the data into Excel (I was thinking each category would have its own worksheet?)
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I will try to take a look at it later today/ tonight.

I wrote a text only perl script to access the REST API so I can create a database of my photos and make sure I have them uploaded properly (checking file size and md5checksum). I plan to also use this data to build a local copy of my SM orginization for creating backups. I am also adding a method to export the data into Excel (I was thinking each category would have its own worksheet?)
    Great. Maybe we can integrate all our individual efforts under a single UI.
    If you convert it to a perl module, we can easily add a butto to do these operations on the main ui.

Do you think you can help in this effort?
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    samya wrote:
    Great. Maybe we can integrate all our individual efforts under a single UI.
    If you convert it to a perl module, we can easily add a butto to do these operations on the main ui.

Do you think you can help in this effort?
    Probably.

I will need to look into your code. I also will need to clean my code a bit. It was a quick hack that I threw together for myself to make sure my 30000+ pics had been uploaded correctly.

I don't work much with Tcl/Tk so I can't really help much with the GUI portion. I also don't run Perl on Windows. All I care is that the code runs on Linux.
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Probably.

I will need to look into your code. I also will need to clean my code a bit. It was a quick hack that I threw together for myself to make sure my 30000+ pics had been uploaded correctly.

I don't work much with Tcl/Tk so I can't really help much with the GUI portion. I also don't run Perl on Windows. All I care is that the code runs on Linux.

Please rename your script. Your server is trying to execute it on its site so I can't actually download the code.

I have the module.
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Please rename your script. Your server is trying to execute it on its site so I can't actually download the code.

I have the module.
    Ouch, sorry about that.
    Fixed now. Rename the txt file to pl file.
    Also, download the module again. I just added image editing yesterday.
    It's probably pre-pre-alpha. So, use it on some test albums.

I also found a bug showing up if you don't have EXIF info. So, until I fix it, please use it on images with EXIF info.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Probably.

nice start. I will dig on the code some and get back to you with comments. This is probably a discussion we could move off the forums.
    -- Mike