At Newport Beach with a Point and Shoot...

erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
edited June 13, 2006 in Landscapes
Took my son to row-boating with the cub scouts this morning and decided to bring along my wife's Kodak point and shoot digi-cam. I was curious how much I could get out of this 5-MP camera. Here are three representative shots. Aside from lack of RAW (what a difference it makes!) and poor JPEG compression I think it's not too bad. Comments welcomed.

Erich

74636401-L.jpg

74636379-L.jpg

74636508-L.jpg

Erich

Comments

• AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Perfectly fine for 99% of the people in this country. Those of us who hang around these sites are a bit more picky. Shooting RAW with my old D7i 5mp camera sure made a difference over the jpegs.
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Argh @ the June gloom here in SoCal!

Yeah! For the cool pictures of Balboa Island!

I was in Newport yesterday as well Erich6, and capturing depth and color can be a real challenge during these gloomy days, especially if that gloom never burns off all day.

Personally, I love your third shot as it really captures the water texture well as well as grabbing some good action. One of my big gripes with digicams has always been capturing depth of field with complex water shots but your shot really has some good texture to that water. Thanks for sharing and keep in mind, we're only 2 weeks from the end of June Gloom here thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Argh @ the June gloom here in SoCal!

Thanks for sharing and keep in mind, we're only 2 weeks from the end of June Gloom here thumb.gif
    Actually, that's not true. I've been on vacation for a week enduring the gloom. Since I go back to work tomorrow, I can assure you the sun will come out...rolleyes1.gifI was not inspired to shoot much this week due to the lack of cooperation on the weather man's part.

Nice shots, Erich. I find the good P&S cameras do a bang-up job for a lot of what needs to be captured. Now if they could just make them so you could have a shallower DOF, I'd be sold!!!! :D
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Thanks for the comments everyone but I still like my 20D better! mwink.gif

This coming weekend is supposed to be sunny so all kinds of different opportunities. Actually, had a chance to spend a couple of hours at Bolsa Chica yesterday afternoon and the weather was terrific.

Cheers,

Erich