Options

challenge 24 Photocat: Vista

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited October 27, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is a first tryout for the vista. Trees in the Lake District. Just trees...
I am still trying to go on manual as much as possible, and I must admit that I am getting more comfortable with it.

Oops, these are not the trees, but it is the lake in Windermere. Our hotel overlooked the lake, this is in the morning. The pink was in the sky.
No filters, just tweaked the levels a bit.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    Another one possibly for vista...
    This one was taken through the window of the car, so the colors were weird. I put it in sepia for that.
    Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    yeah I like the second one alot. Could use a little bit of right rotation and cropping though. Maybe not though if you like it. Who knows, it might have been the perspective you were viewing it at in which case it looks really cool.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    I like the one Mike likes. I don't see it needing the rotation or the cropping, though. I just like it.

I love the way the light (see, sometimes I do notice light), I love the way it comes through the clouds right above the trees, kind of biblical, or not, just really nice................... the light coming down and touching the trees.

g

The vista out the window or whatever, where you stayed, it would be better if you could open up the dark trees and everything dark, at the bottom.

I kind of have a thing about that, others don't seem to, but I think the judges might as I have never seen a really big dark area get to the finals.

I think the trees are perfect.

A lot of good stuff coming out right now.

g again
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    I prefer the second shot.

There is something going on with the tree/bush in the bottom right corner. Most of the tree seems partially covered by a haze but there is an area at the very bottom edge that isn't. Could just be the monitor on the cheap notebook computer I'm using. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    The second shot is really nice as is. I like to try gradient map to enhance the b & w photos sometimes.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    The second shot is a keeper. I would rotate it a little to the right to level out
    the trees.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2004
    tree
    cletus wrote:
    I prefer the second shot.

There is something going on with the tree/bush in the bottom right corner. Most of the tree seems partially covered by a haze but there is an area at the very bottom edge that isn't. Could just be the monitor on the cheap notebook computer I'm using. ne_nau.gif

You are right. That is a piece of hedge in the foreground. I will corp it a bit or clone it a bit. I had not noticed it.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. As for the first pic. that one will go in my vacation album, I will try to lighten up the foreground, but it is not that important a picture.

So slightly rotate to the right for the trees... Will do so.

Ginger, I am amazed that you find so much in it. What a nice comment to get. Thanks again to all of you.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    You are right. That is a piece of hedge in the foreground. I will corp it a bit or clone it a bit. I had not noticed it.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. As for the first pic. that one will go in my vacation album, I will try to lighten up the foreground, but it is not that important a picture.

So slightly rotate to the right for the trees... Will do so.

Ginger, I am amazed that you find so much in it. What a nice comment to get.
    Thanks again to all of you.

I'm a little late here, but just wanted to add my 2cents. I love the second one. I agree with the idea of getting the tree trunks vertical. I never would have noticed the "non hazy" spot on the bush. But, If I squint and lean in close, I do see it. (Cletus, you have eagle eyes!) And, I love it in b&w! I've been looking at landscapes to see if I can spot any that I can imagine in b&w. It's funny, I can't find any. Maybe I don't have a good enough imagination. But this is terrific. Maybe it's because it's so "spare". Just a few details.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog