Options

Do you think this is a landscape?

ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited October 31, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
10607413-M.jpg

I have a series of these I took last night and I think I want to submit one as this one is titled, a "waterscape". I know it is all about the individual's eye and what they like but for the sake of trying to adhere to a theme, do you think this works?

*This is water being shot in the air by a brightly lit fountain*

Comments

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    It's an interesting photo...I never would have guessed what it is. It is not really a landscape, it's more of a water scape.
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    That is an amazing shot! You have a great eye for the unusual clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 31, 2004
    I wouldn't call it a landscape.

However it is a very interesting picture and never in a million years
    would I have guessed it was water.

Nice work!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    ian408 wrote:

Nice work!

Ian

Yeah I guess it is abstract and tough to know what it is without conext...

I havn't had any luck getting traditional landscape shots though so I have been trying to take an alternative approach. Some of the articles Andy posted talked about "miniscapes" and how a landscapes can really be many different things beyond a wide open shot... :)

Thanks for your comments everyone. :)
  • Options
    Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    ian408 wrote:

Nice work!

Ian

I disagree. Go read the articles that Andy listed as a good reference for what landscape is--I think this would certainly fit under those definitions.

JMHO.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    That is an awesome shot. You do have a good eye for the abstract shots. Thats a very good thing. I would agree with ben and say that a landscape can be many many things. Even by Andy's definition it could be any number of things and I think this works for the theme. Then again I have been known to misinterpret the theme of a challenge and enter something that in my mind fit very well where as it was judged a little off topic due to them not being able to match the shot to the theme on its own. I think though that with a good enough caption this could work. Im my mind the caption is a part of the total image in that the context provided by the caption should be used to improve the shot and not looked at as a detractor because the image doesnt stand alone for the theme.

I will tell you this though. I thought your waterscape was very interesting and found myself inspecting it very closely to figure out how it was water... Then after giving up trying to figure it out myself and being mesmerized by it I read the caption and it brought a very big smile to my face as this is something that can be seen in almost every city. The thing about your image though is that the composition is great but you chose it in such a way as to make it unrecognizable without the caption even though it it something all of us have seen many times. I love it.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com