Options

fireworks

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited July 5, 2006 in Technique
What is the best way to shoot fire works? is it just to use the bulb mode? or try to shot it.
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    What is the best way to shoot fire works? is it just to use the bulb mode? or try to shot it.

I'm no expert on this, but I would definitely shoot bulb, since I would want to time my exposures to the action. I'd shoot low ISO, f8, rattle some off and see where I stand. I think you'd probably end up shooting f11, though...or maybe higher.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2006

Aaron, this article was posted on a previous thread...

http://www.nikonnet.com/dyn/articles/article_detail/227.html

I have used the technique for lightning and it works great.

Good luck!ylsuper.gif

spudjer
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Go 4 sec

I mean ISO 100, 4 sec. Play around with f/8..f/11. If you shoot RAW, set to f/10 and you'll get away with it:-).
    Our very own Mike Lane recently published an excellent series of fireworks images, just check out his settings and find the ones you likie most of all:-)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    I honestly don't get the card thingie...
    spudjer wrote:

Can somebody explain to me how the card trick is different form the regular bulb (i.e. manual stop) mode? At the exposures of several seconds long (which are pretty much standard for fireworks) mirror-caused vibrations can not possibly affect the image. So this card thing only adds a level of complexity, since now you have to:
    1. Keep the card in from of the lens
    2. Open the shutter
    3. Remove the card
    4. Close the lens with the card
    5. Close the shutter
    instead of simply:
    1. Open the shutter
    2. Close the shutter
    I mean, it's sounds tres cool and very pro, but is is worth it? headscratch.gif

TIA thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Does anybody have suggestions on how to not get all the moke in the way of the fireworks? All the shots I have tried in the past have smoke in them and sort of ruin it.:cry Is it possible to get rid of it in Photoshop?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
  • Options
    schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Card Trick
    Nikolai wrote:
    Can somebody explain to me how the card trick is different form the regular bulb (i.e. manual stop) mode? At the exposures of several seconds long (which are pretty much standard for fireworks) mirror-caused vibrations can not possibly affect the image. So this card thing only adds a level of complexity, since now you have to:
    1. Keep the card in from of the lens
    2. Open the shutter
    3. Remove the card
    4. Close the lens with the card
    5. Close the shutter
    instead of simply:
    1. Open the shutter
    2. Close the shutter
    TIA thumb.gif

The card thing is more useful if you don't have a remote release. If you actually have to put your hands on and off the camera to trigger the shutter you are introducing a lot more vibration than just mirror slap.

The one thing you can do with the card is get multiple bursts in one exposure that were not at the same time. You can "open" and "close" the shutter as many times as you want in one shot.

If you do have a remote release then bulb works great and if you are still worried about vibration from the mirror, use MLU.

Even then if want multiple bursts in one shot that weren't together to begin with, there's always Photoshop or whatever your photo editing application of choice is.
    Youth is wasted on the young!