How to create those classy borders and signatures...

ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited December 7, 2004 in Finishing School
Many people use these and the definitely can add an element to a photograph IMO, but after searching on google many times over I can't seem to find a tutorial that actually talks about creating the simple white (or other) border with that slight shadow affect. I know Andy and some others on this site use it.

Can anyone point me to a usefull tutorial?

Thanks!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    frames border copyright signature stuff
    ish wrote:
    Many people use these and the definitely can add an element to a photograph IMO, but after searching on google many times over I can't seem to find a tutorial that actually talks about creating the simple white (or other) border with that slight shadow affect. I know Andy and some others on this site use it.

Thanks!

it's all right here
  • ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it's all right here

Thanks Andy, time to go read up and maybe I will have a border for the Landscapes comp...

<smirk>
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 1, 2004
    drop shadows
    ish wrote:

Thanks!

I wrote this one for humongous last spring....http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=3441&postcount=7
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 1, 2004
    a new york steak dinner for whoever can ...
    pathfinder wrote:
    I wrote this one for humongous last spring....http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=3441&postcount=7

bring back humungus. deal.gif

sigh ....
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    bring back humungus. deal.gif

sigh ....
    agreed...... thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2004
    Is airfare to New York included in that dinner?
    edited November 3, 2004
    airfare
    GREAPER wrote:

um, not the airfare, but the best steak dinner in nyc. deal.gif

i'm serious.

oh, caveat: humungus has to stay for two weeks at least, and contribute back in the challenges
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 4, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    agreed...... thumb.gif
    Yeah, now that he's got the bike going...we never hear from him headscratch.gif

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    um, not the airfare, but the best steak dinner in nyc. deal.gif

i'm serious.

oh, caveat: humungus has to stay for two weeks at least, and contribute back in the challenges
    OK I"ve done my part... again. I begged him to come back before with no reply now I've begged on my knees to pleeeeeeese come back to the fold.
    I can do no more.. everyone please beg him too?? overwhelm him.. send flowers and chocolates... offer him a ..... oh well never mind...

rolleyes1.gif Lynn
    edited November 4, 2004
    greaper re your avatar
    GREAPER wrote:

i have to say, that your avatar is one of the funniest i've seen around lol3.gif i love the expression, the "ears" flying up ... your owl reminds me of dogbert a little bit :D
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Why is he no longer here?

Begging without giving him a reason to be here, well, that probably won't work.

I don't know anything here..........

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited November 4, 2004
    Maybe you should give him the steak dinner? A camera? A computer? More hours in the day?

g again
    edited November 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i have to say, that your avatar is one of the funniest i've seen around lol3.gif i love the expression, the "ears" flying up ... your owl reminds me of dogbert a little bit :D

I guess I can see dogbert, lol. I never thought of it.

I think he looks like a grump, which kind of reminds me of... well... me.
    edited November 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Begging without giving him a reason to be here, well, that probably won't work.

I don't know anything here..........

g

Because he got mad over something silly and took it personally.

When he disappeared I sent him an e-mail asking him to stick around but he never responded. At all!

It's a shame too. I always found his comments and his ideas humerous and entertaining. I found most of his photos facinating and the story that went with them were priceless.

I believe he left because he was upset over a challenge so the odds of him comming back are small. The odds of him entering the challenge? Even smaller.

umph.gif

I guess I will have to buy my own steak, but if I am ever in New York I will definatly look you up Andy.
    edited November 5, 2004
    I think you have to practice developing a thick skin to be in an internet group.

While waiting for the skin to thicken, an alliance, similar to Survivors, that helps a lot............. to smooth over the rough spots from others, single, or other alliances.

No, I do not watch reality TV, get it all here on the net.

g

(I personally think the Challenges are addictive, but very rough on some people: and I did not say that, that was Silly Bird, just his observation.)
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    signature brush
    Thanks Andy for the links. I just made my first ever brush in photoshop.
    I am amazed at how easy it is...
    Now I can sign my pics with my copywright sign...
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    (I personally think the Challenges are addictive, but very rough on some people: and I did not say that, that was Silly Bird, just his observation.)[/QUOTE]

I wonder why that is. I have so far not seen rough comments on pics. I
    think personally that if your selfesteem is so low that you can not take a well meant critic on your work, that the internet then maybe is not a good place to be.

Showing your pics to others implies that you can get comments.
    Good and bad. If nobody ever comments on your pics in an honest way, how can you ever learn what to get better at?
    edited November 5, 2004
    Strange, every time I post things from my view, I feel like I shouldn't have.

ginger
    edited November 5, 2004
    It was not a critique that upset him.

He did not like some of the changes in how the challenges work and felt that he had been treated unfairly. I dont think it is worth dwelling on why some people have left other than the idea that getting mad and leaving is a loss for both the forum and the person that leaves.
    edited November 5, 2004
    Yes, I try very hard not to cut off my nose to spite my face (I think I whine instead). Sometimes it does appear that my face changes, and it is no longer giving me a nose I can breathe through, but as long as it is working for me, at all, I keep my bridges open. Then again I am pretty picky which ones I choose.
    According to my criteria.....

I love mixing metaphors, also! I guess, I do it enough, I just didn't know they were metaphors for a long time.

Too bad, touch a nerve somewhere, at the right time, when he is not super occupied, he might come back. Kind of like getting someone to marry you. Sometimes you can't, but when you do, it is almost always in the timing.

ginger
    He probably would not do Challenges, but the other aspects of dGrin seem to be more active now. That might be a draw. Also just the right person at the right time: like I said, it is like getting married. I did, however, run into a person who really meant it when he said he was/is not now, then or ever, getting married...............again. Most do.

(I absolutely swore I was not going to the fair. I am. Even though there are already winning entries, not by me, on the humor column.......then again, I am different. I am somewhat compulsive which is why I didn't do this before. It has been a great year in my life. Certainly fitting for me now, at my age.)

I will say, just for me, this is the first time in my entire life that I have voluntarily done much of anything. I am super competitive, to the extent that I have not done much of anything except raise children, an endeaver I thought would be easy, haha.

I have never stuck my self out there to be judged, nor my work, except when I knew the outcome.........I was the absolute best, or only or whatever.
    (I was a science major, that is not subjective)

So this is all new to me. Others may be used to this type of thing, not everyone is. We are artists. Art, almost by definition, is subjective. (I am not only married to a photographer, for 14 years I was married to a commercial artist...........who taught at the college level most of that time.)

I am on many other internet lists. On all, except one, there have, from time to time, been major problems. Sometimes the best thing to do, in my experience, is to get away from the situation for awhile.........I did with one, then came back later, when I was ready.

One thing I would make sure that "he"/she always knows that when they want to come back, it can happen, would be a nice thing, etc. I did not get any fanfare when I came back, that was how I wanted it. It is an international hard of hearing group, the only group I am in that discusses politics. The whole group became so hot this year, it splintered. I stayed with both, but ignored them. They were boring, I was busy. Lately I have been quite involved...............I can vent, but mostly I can joke.rolleyes1.gif

ginger
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    SInce this thread isn't really about framing (whew!), I can put in my two cents.

Speaking of people who got mad and went away, I still miss Fish. Is he still angry about Andy taking over the challenges? Too bad. Let's get him back! I emailed him once and got no response.
    If not now, when?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 6, 2004
    fish's (mostly)given up posting in many places.

There's the occassional sighting but I miss his posts too.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    SInce this thread isn't really about framing (whew!), I can put in my two cents.

Speaking of people who got mad and went away, I still miss Fish. Is he still angry about Andy taking over the challenges? Too bad. Let's get him back! I emailed him once and got no response.

huh? what are you talking about rutt?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    andy wrote:
    huh? what are you talking about rutt?
    I guess I just jumped to a conclusion, but he stopped posting exactly when you took over the challenges. I assumed his nose was out of joint about it. Anyway, I miss him. He added a good wild note.
    If not now, when?
    edited November 6, 2004
    I remember that whole time well. Just a little differently.

I thought Andy always had run the challenges.

Who else used to???

ginger
    edited November 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I guess I just jumped to a conclusion, but he stopped posting exactly when you took over the challenges. I assumed his nose was out of joint about it. Anyway, I miss him. He added a good wild note.

naw, he was fine with the change to me. you're mistaken about this :D

here's what he said when we made the change:

10961243-L.jpg
    edited November 6, 2004
    rehashing this stuff could be like Kerry mired down in Viet Nam. Would hate to go through who did what, when, here.

Just a thought.

g
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    Deleted by myself
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited November 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    rehashing this stuff could be like Kerry mired down in Viet Nam. Would hate to go through who did what, when, here.

Just a thought.

g

who's rehashing? i was tryign to answer rutt about fish, 's all.
    edited November 6, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Two of you really know why humongous left and why others do not participate and frankly I find the sanctimonius comments of both of you to be distasteful.

charles, i'm lost. honestly. headscratch.gif

can you define "sanctimonious?"