Options

roy g. biv

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 25, 2004 in Holy Macro
11596698-L.jpg

tech details: 20d, 100mm macro aboard, @ f/2.8. shot on a piece of white foamboard, with a canon 420 ex speedlight (softbox attached) held (and pointed direct) in my hand off to the side. weak reflected fill from a second 420 ex camera right. in post? just a simple levels adjustment, thats it.

oh yeah, the setup: about 10 minutes making clay balls with my five-year old :-)

enjoy (acronymic mnemonical) photography,

Comments

• Options
    travisctravisc Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2004
    andy wrote:
    tech details: 20d, 100mm macro aboard, @ f/2.8. shot on a piece of white foamboard, with a canon 420 ex speedlight (softbox attached) held (and pointed direct) in my hand off to the side. weak reflected fill from a second 420 ex camera right. in post? just a simple levels adjustment, thats it.

oh yeah, the setup: about 10 minutes making clay balls with my five-year old :-)

It's really great how you share the tech details on your pics, great learning tool :-)

I'm pretty new at the photography thing, so this might seem like a foolish question, but what causes the color in the shadows there? Is it a characteristic of the surface and lighting, or did you add it digitally?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2004
    travisc wrote:
    It's really great how you share the tech details on your pics, great learning tool :-)

I'm pretty new at the photography thing, so this might seem like a foolish question, but what causes the color in the shadows there? Is it a characteristic of the surface and lighting, or did you add it digitally?

Thanks!

thanks, and it's my pleasure :D

the colors were there. i brought them out by simple levels adjustment. the clay was on a reflective white foamboard, so that's why the color is in the shadows.

thanks again,
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Nice capture Andy.
    For some reason looking at it makes me want a piece of candy.thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 21, 2004
    andy wrote:
    11596698-M.jpg

Good ole Roy G Biv I knew him well!

Lovely studio shot Andy. I would not have guessed the balls were clay - the texture in the first one made me wonder if it was an orange or some fruit of some kind. Was the clay actually as briliant and saturated as in the image too? I suspected some Photoshop color painting going on when I first saw the image.

The colored shadows really set it off nicely. The 100 macro is a fun lens, isn't it?
    clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2004
    hiya pf

i went to the art / craft store yesterday. they have loads of diff kinds of clay! this is high end stuft, tain't no play-doh :D they came in 2" x 2" blocks, and there were about 40 different shades. about $3 a block of clay. the shadows were quite natural, in fact, i didn't touch the color at all in this shot deal.gif

thanks for stoppign by and for the comment

andy
    pathfinder wrote:

Lovely studio shot Andy. I would not have guessed the balls were clay - the texture in the first one made me wonder if it was an orange or some fruit of some kind. Was the clay actually as briliant and saturated as in the image too? I suspected some Photoshop color painting going on when I first saw the image.

The colored shadows really set it off nicely. The 100 macro is a fun lens, isn't it?
    clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 21, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hiya pf

i went to the art / craft store yesterday. they have loads of diff kinds of clay! this is high end stuft, tain't no play-doh :D they came in 2" x 2" blocks, and there were about 40 different shades. about $3 a block of clay. the shadows were quite natural, in fact, i didn't touch the color at all in this shot deal.gif

thanks for stoppign by and for the comment

andy

The texture in the first red clay ball is finger prints or palm prints then I think. I did not see that in the image initially, but after your explanation it all makes sense. Thanks, Andy.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    Fantastic. At first site I thought these were bean bags. The colors stand out so well and the reflections are great. The texture really adds as well. thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

clap.gif
    The texture is a skin print I should think. Is this one going up on his wall too - Fantastic bright colours, I bet it'll look great!
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2004
    thanks guys
    thanks all of you for your comments :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 24, 2004
    Neat idea!

You said a softbox was attached. Are you refering to a diffuser?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Neat idea!

You said a softbox was attached. Are you refering to a diffuser?

Ian

yeah i guess... here it is at b&h

32690.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    yeah i guess... here it is at b&h
    Thanks.

I've been using Stofen that slips on the flash head.

OM_MZ3.gif

Haven't tried anything like what you've done and don't know if
    it would produce a similar result. But it seems to produce good
    results--better than the straight head.

ian
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2004
    i've used both ...
    ian408 wrote:
    Thanks.

I've been using Stofen that slips on the flash head.

OM_MZ3.gif

Haven't tried anything like what you've done and don't know if
    it would produce a similar result. But it seems to produce good
    results--better than the straight head.

ian

and i prefer the softbox. but i also have the omnibounce from stofen, and it's in my bag too.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    andy wrote:
    and i prefer the softbox. but i also have the omnibounce from stofen, and it's in my bag too.
    I want to give the softbox a try. I think the stofen is still a little harsh.

ian