*Challenge 26 in ginger's house

2»

Comments

• judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    Love the name!!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    ginger, give us an idea of the settings you are going with on the wall shots.

aperture?
    iso?
    shutterspeed?
    lens, focal length
    tripod?

thanks. some look oof to me and i want to try and help.

11746830-Th.gif happy thanksgiving!
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ginger, give us an idea of the settings you are going with on the wall shots.

aperture?
    iso?
    shutterspeed?
    lens, focal length
    tripod?

thanks. some look oof to me and i want to try and help.

11746830-Th.gif happy thanksgiving!
    Andy, I am trying to think of how to answer you. I have done it three different times. Each time I have tried different things. I couldn't get any lens to focus close. Until I used the automatic settings. So I did it both ways.
    Last night I spent about three hours with a lamp, a tripod, not a tripod, I could not get the lens to focus. The ISO was 100 and 400, I may have done a few accidentally at 1600. I was tried manual, which I never do, I did that to have some control over the depth of field. I ended up trying to handhold at ............. 1 sec, but the lens wouldn't do a macro. (I figure I will go to a camera store and find out why my lenses say macro, but won't shoot that way, but I haven't done that yet.)
    This morning it looked like I was getting good depth of field, I went to the cheap 50 mm, figuring that I might be able to hand hold it, though I had my tripod with me. I used an 1S0 of 100, I think, that is what it is on now.

This is supposed to show up on the exif, isn't it, I don't get an exif.......I mentioned that, but I don't know where that went...... I used to get it, so I know what it looks like, no info. next to the photo, or below it.

The thing is now we do have to leave at 7 AM, I just can't reshoot, Bill doesn't have any lights in the van, didn't last night either which is why I was trying to use a bare bulb.

They are all, at least the ones I have done, they are all soft in one place or another. I thought I would get away with it, but I will try to find something in focus. The first one I put up, I thought it might be soft when I took it, at the top, I am not that tall, and I was shooting up.

It is a tiny alcove where the ceiling fell out, there is a lot of stuff there, so it was very difficult to use the tripod last night. But I did, the problem was the lens then, and I don't remember other than that. About 1 AM I gave up and figured I would wait til morning, I worked on it first thing. I thought it went OK, at the time, then they were all soft in one place or another.

This makes no sense, I know, I just don't have many answers, I did everything..................... except time has run out. I do have others, I will check to see if any is totally in focus. I will say that the flash kept coming on this morning, when I went to upload them, I discovered that none of them were RAW, all the others were, but the focus was much worse.

I forgot, I used all my lenses. The 50mm, the kit lens, the 28-135 and the 70-300. I thought the macro might work on one of them, etc.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited November 24, 2004
    I took a photo, 1600 iso, just now of the area I was working in, it is a tiny alcove with books and things spread and stacked all over. It looks like something I would hate myself in the morning for sharing. It is very difficult to use a tripd. It is even difficult to stand there, find footing. When I first started this I fell a couple of times, I have learned how to stand. But I have no time.
    g

Thanks anyway, Andy. You have a good thanksgiving, too.
    edited November 24, 2004
    ginger
    these are oof. can't diagnose but i suspect you were too close or there's camera shake.

for close ups, you need a macro lens. canon makes a 50mm and a 100mm macro lens. you can also try diopters, like the canon 250d, it screws on the front of your kit lens (i think - check the size) it allows you to get closer.

exif - your smugmug gallery must be enabled for "camera data" in the gallery setup, then give us the pic and the link to the pic in your post. when you are in photoshop, do NOT use save for web. use "save as". we've covered this before, but i think you just forgot.... :D
    edited November 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    these are oof. can't diagnose but i suspect you were too close or there's camera shake.

for close ups, you need a macro lens. canon makes a 50mm and a 100mm macro lens. you can also try diopters, like the canon 250d, it screws on the front of your kit lens (i think - check the size) it allows you to get closer.

exif - your smugmug gallery must be enabled for "camera data" in the gallery setup, then give us the pic and the link to the pic in your post. when you are in photoshop, do NOT use save for web. use "save as". we've covered this before, but i think you just forgot.... :D

ANDY, I NEVER USE SAVE FOR WEB, I have said this before, but I think you don't hear me.

ginger
    edited November 24, 2004
    http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/gallery/286651/1/11385158

That is the link to the gallery, there is no extra camera information, though it is checked that there should be.

In order to go in as a owner of the gallery, so you can see for yourself, my e-mail address is ginger55@aol.com and my name would be ginger_55, my password is skyeboy.

Now anyone can go in as the owner and check around. You could probably even look at the rest of my stuff under add new photos.

I was using Canon's 50 mm, I thought it was macro. It is the one for under 100.00....... I just looked it up, the minimum focus distance is 1.5', I was within that easily. That alcove is probably 3 or 4 ft wide. It is not camera shake. In camera shake it looks different, and with camera shake nothing is in focus, in these photos parts of the photos, for the most part were in focus.

I tried that lens right away.

I really wish you would go check out that gallery, so you can see I am not wrong. I even showed my husband. But I can't show you, except that you could go look. These particular photos are on the last two pages.

ginger

The metadata has shown back up on ps, but I still don't see anywhere to access any information on it in the gallery. And it is clicked on "yes" to be made available.
    edited November 24, 2004
    okay ginger, i hear you.
    right here, under each pic, it says the following: here's your exif, you get it by clicking on "more photo details" in your gallery under the pics

Taken with a Canon (Canon Eos Digital Rebel). More photo details.
    Original size: 2294x3441. Current: 533x800. Want smaller? Medium

1/30th sec ginger, that takes a really steady hand when you are close :D

Photograph Details
    Date Taken: 1980-01-01 00:01:06
    Date Digitized: 1980-01-01 00:01:06
    Date Modified: 2004-11-24 10:38:46
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
    Size: 2294x3441
    Bytes: 1418508
    Aperture: f/4.0
    ISO: 400
    Focal Length: 25mm (guess: 37mm in 35mm)
    Exposure Time: 0.0333s (1/30)
    JPEG Quality: 3
    Flash: 16
    Exposure Bias: 0
    SensingMethod: One-chip color sensor
    edited November 24, 2004
    andy wrote:
    right here, under each pic, it says the following: here's your exif, you get it by clicking on "more photo details" in your gallery under the pics

Taken with a Canon (Canon Eos Digital Rebel). More photo details.
    Original size: 2294x3441. Current: 533x800. Want smaller? Medium

1/30th sec ginger, that takes a really steady hand when you are close :D

Photograph Details
    Date Taken: 1980-01-01 00:01:06
    Date Digitized: 1980-01-01 00:01:06
    Date Modified: 2004-11-24 10:38:46
    Make: Canon
    Andy, I understand that you got information on smugmug that I don't get on smugmug.
    I do not get the line that says,
    "Taken with a Canon (Canon EOS Rebel). More photo details."

That line does not show up for me. I showed it all to my husband, he won't post here, but he knows it is not showing up for me. He said that I should talk to smugmug about it.

I know you have my info, because it looks like my info. 1/30 th of a second is not difficult for me, particular when I am securely braced. What makes those photos soft is they are not straight on to the surface being photographed. So one place might be in focus, but other places are not. If I had time tomorrow I would go up there with a tripod and shoot it straight on and take whatever was there. This is the area.

11811823-S.jpg

1600 ISO, hand held at 1/15 sec, f 4.5
    (I had to go to PS to get that information)

I am showing it to you, because I took it tonight RAW 1600 !SO. handheld.
    When I took the other shots, I was over in that little area by the curtain, I was backed up against the wall, that was for support. Or I used the tripod as a monopod, considering the area.

I am going to contact smugmug, as I really don't get that info.

ginger
    edited November 24, 2004
    ginger, don't bother smugmug with this, their system is working fine :D

here's you shot, with exif:
    11817928-L.jpg

i copied that window from this page on your smugmug site

now, i notice, that some of your shots have no exif.
    like this one which says to me, you are doing *something* inconsistent in your post-processing workflow. how did you process the clothing shot and how did you process the wall shot? they were processed differently, becuase one has exif available and one does not.

hang in there, and don't let the turkeys get you down! thumb.gif

ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, I understand that you got information on smugmug that I don't get on smugmug.
    I do not get the line that says,
    "Taken with a Canon (Canon EOS Rebel). More photo details."

That line does not show up for me. I showed it all to my husband, he won't post here, but he knows it is not showing up for me. He said that I should talk to smugmug about it.

I know you have my info, because it looks like my info. 1/30 th of a second is not difficult for me, particular when I am securely braced. What makes those photos soft is they are not straight on to the surface being photographed. So one place might be in focus, but other places are not. If I had time tomorrow I would go up there with a tripod and shoot it straight on and take whatever was there. This is the area.

11811823-S.jpg

1600 ISO, hand held at 1/15 sec, f 4.5
    (I had to go to PS to get that information)

I am showing it to you, because I took it tonight RAW 1600 !SO. handheld.
    When I took the other shots, I was over in that little area by the curtain, I was backed up against the wall, that was for support. Or I used the tripod as a monopod, considering the area.

I am going to contact smugmug, as I really don't get that info.

ginger
    edited November 25, 2004
    At this point, the ones that were taken RAW do not have an EXIF, the others do.

I started having this problem, or noticed it, about the time I started shooting RAW.

Your daughter is very Pretty, and that was a nice set. "Turn Around, and they........." Fiddler on The Roof.

I am staying with my 45 yr old daughter.

I have to change my mindset and get ready to go.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

ginger
    edited November 25, 2004
    With RAW, I usually just set with the exposure settings for the light and shadows, then click OK, then do the usual stuff in PS and sending it down as "save as". As a jpeg. Sometimes, if it is a keeper, IMO, I also save it as a PSD, or at the beginning, if i am afraid of losing it. I thought you might wonder, what I would do differently, I can't see that that is differently. I use PS CS.

ginger
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    At this point, the ones that were taken RAW do not have an EXIF, the others do.

I started having this problem, or noticed it, about the time I started shooting RAW.

Your daughter is very Pretty, and that was a nice set. "Turn Around, and they........." Fiddler on The Roof.

I am staying with my 45 yr old daughter.

I have to change my mindset and get ready to go.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

ginger
    Ginger,do you have the latest raw plugin for PSCS?
    If I recall I had this problem also with raw files.Once I installed the latest plug-in It was then visible on smugmug.
    John
    edited November 25, 2004
    Thanks, John. I didn't buy my CS from Adobe, but I am supposed to be able to access that stuff. Next week I will call the people I bought it from and find out.

How long ago did you get this?

I got the CS a couple of months ago.

ginger
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, John. I didn't buy my CS from Adobe, but I am supposed to be able to access that stuff. Next week I will call the people I bought it from and find out.

How long ago did you get this?

I got the CS a couple of months ago.

ginger
    Ginger,go here here