Options

Should I send my lens to canon?

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Cameras
I have a 28-105mm lens that has some dust on the inner elements. Now the lens is out of warranty and this would cost money. The zoom ring is also very loose and it almost looks like some of the lube has leaked out around the seal. The lens is cheap ($100ish) so im wondering what will be more cost effective.

Suggestions? :scratch
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Upgrade to a 24-105 L deal.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Is the dust in the lens visable in your shots? If not then don't worry about it.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    Lenses less than $100 do not get repaired. They get replaced if needed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    yea i can see the dust.....only in bright shots tho.....
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    Dust motes on the inside of lenses ( not on the rear elements external surface ) do not cause spots in the images, at all! Even air bubbles, within one of the lens elements themselves, ( as long as they are not on the surface of any of the elements ) do not cause discrete spots on the film or the sensor plane. Can't happen, nada, nil, zilch. They donot even degrade the optical performance very much.

Try sticking a piece of tape 1 mm in diameter on a filter about half way off the center axis, and then shot some frames with that. Not really that much happens. And a 1mm spot on a filter is vastly larger than some dust motes.

If there are a significant amount of dust motes between the elements, they will contribute to a loss of resolution and contrast, but not discrete dust spots in the image files themselves.

For spots in the image files, I would look carefully for dust on your sensor. Shoot a few frames at f22 focused on an evenly illuminated sky in RAW, open the file into Photoshop, and do an Auto Adjust for contrast and see if you do not see all kinds of grunge on your sensor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin