luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
edited August 30, 2006 in Cameras
I want one sooooo bad.

canon_50.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Well, personally, I want to see how superior it is the 50 1.4.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, personally, I want to see how superior it is the 50 1.4.

It's exactly 0.2 better. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    And...
    truth wrote:
    It's exactly 0.2 better. rolleyes1.gif
    ...$1,299 more expensive.
    1,300/0.2=$6,500 per an f/stop mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

OUCH! When you break it down in those terms, it sounds less and less appealing!!! :uhoh
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Sorry,
    saurora wrote:
    OUCH! When you break it down in those terms, it sounds less and less appealing!!! :uhoh
    I used to be a university math professor for more than 10 years. :):
    Math kinda helps you put things into a perspective....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    I'm guessing this will be like the 85 f/1.2, heavy and slow focusing, being used mostly in the studio. I'm not saying it will be a bad lens, just more of a specialty lens. Plus that price tag is daunting.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    I think the 85 f1.2 is the penultimate portrait lens for a FF camera. I think the 50 f1.2 will be the ultimate portait lens for a 1.6 crop body. So far as weight and speed go I think you will be suprised. The 85 has a bunch of elements, and the focus travel is long and precise leading to heavy and slow (the MKI more than the MKII) A 50mm f1.2 is not a beastly large manual focus lens, and I doubt it will be a monster akin to the elusive and over zelous f1.0. A 'standard' angle of view lens is the easiest and simplest to build whereas a WA takes many elements to correct distortion and a telephoto many elements to keep sharpness across the frame. I think I read once that for each stop a lens is faster the size of the objective has to double. So by this I think the 50mm f1.2 will be 30% larger than the f1.4 and 60% larger than the plastic fantastic. I think what you can expect from the 50mm f1.2 is a lens with ZERO CA even wide open, perfect field flatness, no distortion, excellent saturation, and unbelievable edge sharpness from f1.8 and smaller. It is also a lens that is just as useable/desireable on a crop body as on a FF body, a lens that will be highly desireable, and comparatively cheap (when compared to the 85 f1.2 or 50 f1.0)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    I've posted this image before, to demonstrate graphically what Nik expressed mathmatically.

How dramatically bigger f1.2 is than f1.4 .....

Olympus did it 25 years ago.....

33506239-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I've posted this image before, to demonstrate graphically what Nik expressed mathmatically.

looks like 30% larger
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

And Canon did it 30+ years ago. When I was purchasing my AT-1, I had a choice between their 50 1.8, a 1.4, or a 1.2. Even earlier, Canon had a 1.0 lens.

Correction: the 1.2 was 55mm. Source.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    The name of the game
    pathfinder wrote:

"Last 10% cost 90%".
    It's universal.
    You can't fight it.
    Welcome to the Dark Side! :-)
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Nice to see a much more reasonable thread here. FM is kind of going berzerk over this lens...though it is funny to read.

Considering the 85/1.8 vs 85/1.2 prices, the 50/1.2 price seems about where you'd expect. I probably won't get one since for that money I can get a lot more use out of the 70-200/2.8IS on my wish list. However, I bet blurmore is on the right track here: this might be the holy grail for 1.6 body portraiture. I've played with one of the monster 85/1.2 7 it is a sweet lens, though a little long; knock that back to 50 (or effective 82) and you're right there.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    looks like 30% larger

Which is what, maybe 1/3 of an fstop?? Whhooo Haa! I can see the appeal.

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Let's see if we can think of a way to justify the expense. Might be a good game.

The f/1.4 has a reputation of being soft fully open. The common advice is to stop down to f/2.8 or so and then you'll be happy. Perhaps this lens will perform better stopped down to f/1.4? Perhaps it will perform better at every f stop? For the money it should.

Hey, I'm just saying.

BTW, I love my f/1.2 85mm which I bought used from CMR a couple of years ago. It's a beast in more than one way and took me a while to grow into. But once I got the hang of it, I fell in love with it. It was especially great for those ballet performances.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    J: If I were limited to only 3 lenses, this one would almost certainly make the list. I Loooove using the 50 indoors...

63887246.jpg

Nikolai wrote:
    H: Pssst. The math is right on, but the equation is slightly flawed. mwink.gif
    J&H
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Let's see if we can think of a way to justify the expense. Might be a good game.

The f/1.4 has a reputation of being soft fully open. The common advice is to stop down to f/2.8 or so and then you'll be happy. Perhaps this lens will perform better stopped down to f/1.4? Perhaps it will perform better at every f stop? For the money it should.

Hey, I'm just saying.

BTW, I love my f/1.2 85mm which I bought used from CMR a couple of years ago. It's a beast in more than one way and took me a while to grow into. But once I got the hang of it, I fell in love with it. It was especially great for those ballet performances.

I'm just stirring the pot today, John.

You know I love my 85f1.2 also. But ya gotta admit, 99% of the shots can be done with the 85 f1.8 equally as well and focus faster ( unless you are lucky enuff to get the new 85 f1.2 L II ) or have access to the Boston Ballet which I do not:D:D

I am sure I would love the 50mm f1.2, but the reality is that I shoot with the 24-70 or the 24-105 and almost never use my 50 f1.4 now. I doubt that the f1.2 50mm would change that for me.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Which is what, maybe 1/3 of an fstop?? Whhooo Haa! I can see the appeal.
    That's pretty much the tone of the FM thread, only it's taking them 40+ pages to say it.

I'd like to see piccies from the lens. The measurebators are already predicting it will be soft in the corners.

For me, I suspect that this lens will fall into the same category as the 85 1.2 and the 200 1.8 - kinda cool, great results - but too expensive and specialized to belong in my ridiculously large collection of glass.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That's pretty much the tone of the FM thread, only it's taking them 40+ pages to say it.

Dont'cha love that thread? Some of them have already passed judgement on it based on little information other than possible price. Pretty amusing reading though.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I want one sooooo bad.

canon_50.jpg

then buy one!rolleyes1.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    I think the 85 f1.2 is the penultimate portrait lens for a FF camera. I think the 50 f1.2 will be the ultimate portait lens for a 1.6 crop body. So far as weight and speed go I think you will be suprised. The 85 has a bunch of elements, and the focus travel is long and precise leading to heavy and slow (the MKI more than the MKII) A 50mm f1.2 is not a beastly large manual focus lens, and I doubt it will be a monster akin to the elusive and over zelous f1.0. A 'standard' angle of view lens is the easiest and simplest to build whereas a WA takes many elements to correct distortion and a telephoto many elements to keep sharpness across the frame. I think I read once that for each stop a lens is faster the size of the objective has to double. So by this I think the 50mm f1.2 will be 30% larger than the f1.4 and 60% larger than the plastic fantastic. I think what you can expect from the 50mm f1.2 is a lens with ZERO CA even wide open, perfect field flatness, no distortion, excellent saturation, and unbelievable edge sharpness from f1.8 and smaller. It is also a lens that is just as useable/desireable on a crop body as on a FF body, a lens that will be highly desireable, and comparatively cheap (when compared to the 85 f1.2 or 50 f1.0)

:jawdrop Now even I want one - and I am already perfectly happy with the 1.4!

AH no... - hang on it will wheigh a ton, phew - I don't need it after all ( wipes sweat from brow)11doh.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    rutt wrote:

Hey, I'm just saying.

yes yes - keep going, Im listening :D
    rutt wrote:

you taking pictures while doing ballet???ne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    The old 50mm/1.0 L wasn't exactly alot better than the current
    50mm/1.4. It was actually dissapointingly soft wide open. If the
    new 1.2 shows the same behaviour, then the high price is really
    hard to justify.

duell of the fifties: 1.0 1.4 1.8:
    http://wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/50mm/index.htm
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:

Hmmmmm....maybe I do need one! I rarely use my 85..it's just too long indoors. Would a 50 be a good size for group portraits, say 3-5 people?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Hmmmmm....maybe I do need one! I rarely use my 85..it's just too long indoors. Would a 50 be a good size for group portraits, say 3-5 people?

The 50mm has 46° angle of view (diagonal) the 85mm 28,5°, go figure.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    The math and science in this thread has me in stitches... Come on guys what is the diff in f-stops between f/1.2 and f/1.4 and it isn't ".2"
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    cmr164 wrote:
    The math and science in this thread has me in stitches... Come on guys what is the diff in f-stops between f/1.2 and f/1.4 and it isn't ".2"

Well, technically a stop would be the difference between f/1.4 to f/2.8 which would make a f-number change of 0.2 equivalent to approximately 0.14 stops (relative to the f/1.4 lens and slightly higher relative to the f/1.2).

The price per stop would then be the difference in cost between the f/1.2L and f/1.4L over 0.14. That is:

($1300 for f/1.2 - $315 for f/1.4)/0.14 = $7035 per stop. Still expensive. :wow

Erich (geeking out)
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    Well, technically a stop would be the difference between f/1.4 to f/2.8 which would make a f-number change of 0.2 equivalent to approximately 0.14 stops (relative to the f/1.4 lens and slightly higher relative to the f/1.2).

The price per stop would then be the difference in cost between the f/1.2L and f/1.4L over 0.14. That is:

($1300 for f/1.2 - $315 for f/1.4)/0.14 = $7035 per stop. Still expensive. :wow

Erich (geeking out)

No No No Nope!! - it is one full f stop from f1.4 to f2.0 and another to f2.8.

From 1.4 to 1.0 is another stop wider, so f1.2 is half a stop faster than f1.4.

My Bad. Thanks for pointing this out CMR.

Glad to see you hanging around to keep us on the straight and narrow:):

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nope - it is one full f stop from f1.4 to f2.0 and another to f2.8.

From 1.4 to 1.0 is another stop wider, so f1.2 is half a stop faster than f1.4.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    Well, technically a stop would be the difference between f/1.4 to f/2.8

No.

Full stop differences would be (all figures rounded to 0.1):
    f/1.0, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6...

Half stop differences would be:
    f/1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 2.4, 2.8, 3.4, 4.0, 4.8, 5.6...

One third stop differences would be:
    f/1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.8, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 4.0, 4.5, 4.8, 5.0, 5.6...

The difference from 1.4 to 1.2 is one half stop.

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/exposure_calculator.html
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I hate math....................eek7.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D